PDA

View Full Version : New Rover V8 Bell Housings

jonny m
08-03-11, 02:29 PM
I need a Rover V8 to LT77/R380 bell housing, but not prepared to get fleeced on ebay for the rates they are currently going for !

I'm thinking of seeing if a local foundry could make a pattern and buy a batch myself to then flog on.

Has anyone any idea of weight, or the spec / grade of aluminium ?

Or if there woudl still be a copyright on the casting (still has the old BL logo on it)

Jon

craggle
08-03-11, 02:41 PM
Not sure if Brian at Repower would tell you any of his trade secrets but he has a custom bell housing cast and machined to mate the Tremec transmission to a Chevy without the use of adapter plates and the like.

If you just want a company name where he gets them made he may tell you but then again he may think your after Chevy bellhousings and trying to get them cheaper by going to the manufacturer! He might tell you what they are made of though but I guess it's a fairly standard, cast aluminium and he may not know specific grades himself.

Good luck though but I suspect the cost of getting the initial pattern and machining program done may outweigh the savings?

Craig.

Sidecarbod
08-03-11, 04:57 PM
I need a Rover V8 to LT77/R380 bell housing, but not prepared to get fleeced on ebay for the rates they are currently going for !

I'm thinking of seeing if a local foundry could make a pattern and buy a batch myself to then flog on.

Has anyone any idea of weight, or the spec / grade of aluminium ?

Or if there woudl still be a copyright on the casting (still has the old BL logo on it)

Jon

What's up with the bellhousing that is fitted to your 3.5?

jonny m
08-03-11, 05:49 PM
Need one for my Scimitar GTE Project, and one for the Scimitar Coupe that's in storage at the back of works yard too in a couple of years.

Mould would be £1 - 1.5k

Market selling price I reckon would be £125 to complete with the few second hand ones on ebay.

I just need to see how much they would cost each to work out how many I would need to sell before I would break even.

Purple AK
08-03-11, 06:49 PM
Any good foundry (I used to work in one) should be able to produce the castings using an existing bellhousing as the basis for a mould. The problem I forsee is getting those castings accurately machined for what would in essence be a short run. It's a lot of work/money for a few bellhousings.

jonny m
09-03-11, 07:43 PM
Minded to agree Chris, chatted to our foundry buyer yesterday. I'd have to turn over a fair few to get my money back on the mould, and hope the quality is good enough not to land me a problem, and find another quiet corner in work to hide them.

Danger is flooding the market with them would then devalue the £100 a pop they are going for on eBay at the moment.

Don't suppose anyone has a bellhousing with or without a box to hand ?

Jon

Adrian427
10-03-11, 11:55 PM
I've got some Getrag 5 speeds that many people use now with Rover v8. John Eales makes a direct fit bellhousing between rv8 and getrag.I'm taking them to Stoneleigh this year. Shoot me a Pm if your interested

matt6687
27-03-11, 12:52 PM
i got one give me abell 07815740239 also got a adapter plate to bolt it to a chevy engine