PDA

View Full Version : Fiting an oil cooler to a SB Chevy

nbracken
02-09-01, 07:57 PM
I currently have a SB Chavy mated to an auto box, and the latter is connected to an oil cooler. Over the winter I shall be replacing the auto box with a tremec 5 spped and so the oil cooler will no longer be required for teh box and I want to replumb it into the engine.

Is this straightforward to do? I do not have a remote oil filter currently. Will I need to go to remote filter set up to plumb in the oil cooler to the engine or is it possible to fit a take off for the oil cooler between the engine and the filter in the standard position?

Any advice appreciated incl recommended suppliers or components.Thanks

Nigel B

robert
02-09-01, 08:23 PM
Very straightforward, even I managed to do it.

You can purchase an adaptor plate with oil cooler pipe take offs which fits where the oil filter currently is, and the oil filter screws up to this. Check there is no debris in the take-off plate, as Wilf had a unit which was far from acceptable.

All you need then is the relevant braided hose, and a temperature sensitive thing in the middle, can't for the life of me remember what it is called, howevever it senses the oil temperature and opens and shuts as applicable.

Someone on the forum will know what its called.

you can buy this all from Merlin motorsport at http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/

David
03-09-01, 12:13 AM
THERMOSTAT

The system is known as a thermostatically controlled oil cooler.:7

robert
03-09-01, 01:14 PM
It has a funkier name than a Thermostat, even I know that one....

Neil
03-09-01, 05:21 PM
Could it be an oilstat??:+

robert
03-09-01, 06:03 PM
Waxstat thermostat control, thats what its called.

minimum size is dash 10, 1/2 inch bore, do not use smaller.

graham
03-09-01, 09:15 PM
I have not got this in my oil cooler lines so does this mean my oil will be over cool and thus a danger? Engine is 350 SBC mild modified.

robert
03-09-01, 09:24 PM
On start-up, you will be circulating cold thick oil round the engine. The waxstat opens gradually as the oil gets up to temperature and as the warm liquid oil will take the path of least resistance, it will continue ciculating gradually until the waxstat opens fully, thereby ensuring you don't have to heat up load of oil.

All the best from a closet engineer.

wilf
07-09-01, 11:33 PM
Nigel - I don't think the oil cooler used for your auto trans will necessarily be OK for use as an engine oil cooler - it will probably be too small and offer too much resistance to oil flow.

As well as talking to Merlin,try talking to "think automotive" on 020 8568 1172 - from memory the guy to speak with is "Matthew Potter". They actually make the "Mocal" bits and pieces ( which all the other people resell) and he will give you a good idea of what you need. Please see my post on "Snake Watch" regarding oil cooler take-off plates (with or without oilstats, which are, in my opinion, essential to avoid over cooling the oil). I would recommend dash 12, rather than dash 10, hoses and couplings to reduce oil pressure drop, but there again, I hate to admit to being an engineer, as we have heard enough from some of them in other areas of this forum. Going to dash 12 puts the price of some of the couplings up a fair bit.

HTH

Wilf

nbracken
08-09-01, 10:27 PM
Wilf thanks.
The oil cooler I have hooked up to the transmission at the moment is 10 row, 2 inches deep by about 12 inches wide. Don't know the dash size but I would guess the smaller. Is this small for an engine oil cooler? What size is recommended?

Thanks

wilf
10-09-01, 02:33 PM
Nigel - you might ask your engine builder/supplier for their recommendations on the oil cooler sizing, also Matthew Potter at Think Automotive. I have a 16 row, 235mm wide unit on my stroker 351W, it's OK on the road, but too small on the track. Oil cooler sizing will depend on what you want to use the car for amongst other factors - track use is far more demanding than road use. They all seem to be the same depth front to back - 2" is about it.

From what you say, I would think the unit you have is too small. From a cost perspective, the oil cooler itself, at around 60 - 80, will probably not be the most expensive bit - the lines/fittings/take off plate ect. will probably amount to more than that. Increasing the size of the cooler doesn't seem to make the cost go up too much.

HTH

Wilf