PDA

View Full Version : Holley Hell!!

cgnw28517
09-08-01, 12:16 PM
Has anyone had this little problem before? When I start my 302 with Holley 650cfm from cold using the choke the car starts on about 3 cylinders belching great clouds of black smoke.If I start the car cold without choke it's fine if I keep the revs up until it gets warm.The choke used to work fine and on inspection looks to at least mechanically operational.Any help on this would as ever be most welcome.

Regards,Col A.K in Wigan:-)

robert
09-08-01, 01:43 PM
>Has anyone had this little problem before? When I start my 302 with
>Holley 650cfm from cold using the choke the car starts on about 3
>cylinders belching great clouds of black smoke.If I start the car cold
>without choke it's fine if I keep the revs up until it gets warm.The
>choke used to work fine and on inspection looks to at least
>mechanically operational.Any help on this would as ever be most
>welcome.
>
>Regards,Col A.K in Wigan:-)

I had exactly the same problem, and have now got a modified holley carb. The carb does not have a choke, the choke assembly has been removed and a couple of holes down the side of the carb have been filled in.

The belching black smoke is because it is running rich on choke, and not firing on all is due to excessive fuel delivery.

My new modified holley works well, and I only have to keep the revs at 1000 for about 30 seconds before it runs as tick-over.

I have a second modified 650 cfm vacuum secondary which is currently surpluss, which I may be persuaded to part with (for a fee obviously).

Best Regards

Robert

The Whistler!

graham
09-08-01, 11:43 PM
Hi Rob,

My carb(a 600v/s) is 2nd hand also with the coke removed which I thought I would convert back to having a manual choke, what are these holes you are talking about that I may now find to be filled in, what would you recommend for control in the winter, no choke or a choke system?

Confused

graham

gilbeta
10-08-01, 12:52 PM
I too have no choke on my 750cfm Holley. Two squirts from my right foot prior to ignition and she fires up every time.:7 No big black smoke cloud.

Terry

paul
10-08-01, 08:17 PM
Hi there I'm the same two jabs with the right foot and away (600 V/S)
I used the choke only once for the origional first fire up
cheers
Paul :-)

graham
08-09-01, 10:03 PM
I have a flooding problem and thus bad running, obviously I will re check the components of the carb and the float level whilst running but what about fuel pressure? I have a basic electric fuel pump from reel steel and says it is 4-6 psi but is this so or do I need a regulator in the line with guage?? I did notice when the pump was disconnected the engine ran well on the last bit of fuel in the system (ie not pressured from pump)

Graham

robert
08-09-01, 10:24 PM
Graham

I have a mechanical pump running as 6 psi with no regulator. I have also had the same symptoms and it was purely the float level set-up.

Have fun.

graham
09-09-01, 09:44 AM
Hi Robert (the Bible and guru!),

Cheers, so that is what I think too. Now when I set the primary level first I take it one must adjust whilst engine running (which is tricky as it wont idle so needs two people) as per the Holley book on setup, I have been adjusting mine whilst not running to the bottom of the site level plug which I guess is completely wrong and my true level is therefore running to high and thus flooding out of other orrifices, would I be somewhere in the right ball park here.

Thanks again Rob.

Graham

mikey
09-09-01, 04:38 PM
Graham
not sure if this is your problem did you reset the float heights since you fitted the new pump as increased pressure generally means the needles need to come down slightly to increase pressure of needle against the fuel flow. Also it may be worth checking the metering plate/block gaskets and that they are tight. Fuel seepage can cause problems with gaskets that are less than a perfect fit. Try tightening the bowl bolts (do not overtighten) whilst the engine is tiking over, wait a few seconds and see if you can hear an improvement in tickover. If it is this dont simply keep tightening to overcome, change the gaskets, carefully.
Mike.:-) :-)

robert
09-09-01, 06:28 PM
Graham

I am no guru, I have broken it before and had to fix it.

Adjust the tickover to a fast idle, and then adjust the levels. If you can, get hold of a set of see though sight plugs, they make a world of difference.

STEVE G
10-09-01, 08:33 AM
Graham
Real steal sell see thru plugs but make sure you polish both ends before fitting cos you wont see thru the turned finish.But once fitted a much easier job.

graham
10-09-01, 10:46 PM
Cheers all, sounds like flooding is my problem and yes I have see through sight plugs now so I will try and reset the float heights whilst running, I also have further stripped down the metering block and changed a power valve for a new one 6.5 instead of 4.5, and renewed gaskets I found that an incorrect gasket had been used on the primary meter to carb gasket which stopped my accelerator nozzle working and mar have also affected other things the main jets are a standard 66 and everything else seems clear and free from obstruction, see how I get on, nearly there!

Graham

robert
10-09-01, 11:33 PM
Graham

What sort of HP are you making? 66 sounds a bit small.