PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Cobra For Sale

MBCJ
13-03-11, 04:55 PM
I have an unfinished Contemporary Cobra Kit for sale. 80/85% of parts.
Best replica out there. Lots of money spent.
But unable to finish due to family break up.
So many parts, photos available.
I will watch posts for any interest.
Regards.

Miket
13-03-11, 04:58 PM
I have an unfinished Contemporary Cobra Kit for sale. 80/85% of parts.
Best replica out there. Lots of money spent.
But unable to finish due to family break up.
So many parts, photos available.
I will watch posts for any interest.
Regards.

A price would be helpful to any body who may be interested. ;)

Chimeara
13-03-11, 06:42 PM
Please also define the best kit available bit, what kit do you have and what stage of build etc. Somephotos really would help your sale aswell.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances for sale, are you sure there is no way you can finish it and keep it or sell it to a friend for a few quid and then buy it back after the seperation/divorce, think its been done before.

Good luck either way

Miket
13-03-11, 09:49 PM
Please also define the best kit available bit, what kit do you have and what stage of build etc. Somephotos really would help your sale aswell.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances for sale, are you sure there is no way you can finish it and keep it or sell it to a friend for a few quid and then buy it back after the seperation/divorce, think its been done before.

Good luck either way

I think he's mentioned it's a "Contemporary" ;)

KevinW
14-03-11, 12:33 AM
A cracking kit car by reputation, but without pics is a shot in the dark.

Please post as many as possible to help your sale ad tails of the build spec used to date.

Chimeara
14-03-11, 08:08 AM
I think he's mentioned it's a "Contemporary" ;)

Oops. Eyes ate getting worse in my old age. Apologies.

wilf
14-03-11, 09:03 AM
That'll be a few years old then..........Never known one go through IVA, either, no doubt it is possible but at what price?

MBCJ
14-03-11, 05:00 PM
Hi guys,
Contemporary's are renowned for being expensive, I had all the parts shipped over from the America by Jim Blackburn of American Speed Specialities. Spent 35000, have most receipts,
Looking for 16000 ovno.
The main parts required to finish would be a Toploader gearbox..I have the Lakewood Bell Housing... a fuel tank... I had paid for one but did not receive it...a pair of seats, once again paid for but not received, and a couple of pin drive hubs for the front.. to which there is also a story.
If anyone is interested I can email them the photos taken of all the parts.
Let me know,
Regards.

FatBoy
14-03-11, 05:23 PM
I used to have a Contemporary, which I bought from the late and infamous Jim Blackburn.
I wouldn't think there are any specific complications with getting a Contemporary through IVA as long as the build is finished with that in mind. If Dave Brookes can get a Kirkham through, a Contemporary should be possible.
They are a really nice replica and are still very highly regarded in the U.S.
If I recall correctly, the fuel tank is from a Camaro, but there is someone on the U.S. Club Cobra forum selling tanks for Contemporarys that very closely replicate the original fuel tanks and look really nice.
Seats shouldn't be too much of a problem. I had some copies made of the seat frames and they are with a trimmers in Ilkeston, Derbyshire and I'm sure he would be happy to trim them up and sell them.
Would make a really nice car for someone.
As a matter of interest, did you also get a U.S. registration with it, which was Jim's usual practice?
Paul

KevinW
14-03-11, 08:27 PM
That sounds like a good price.
If I wasnt already committed with the Crendon, we'd be having a serious chat.

I wouldnt recommend the Contemporary to a newbie because of the inevitable sva and no factory support issues, but for anyone with one car under their belt it should be pretty straightfroward to getting that through sva imho.

I presume you have the body, bonnet, doors and rad fitted ?

what engine do you have?

kdavies3
15-03-11, 10:44 AM
I must admit if my Dax was sold I'd be very interested too. ;)

MBCJ
15-03-11, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

Could someone give me some tips on how I can place an ad and upload some photos of the car I am trying to sell on this site ?
I see Classifieds... but not clear how to place one.
Regards

KevinW
15-03-11, 09:04 PM
not sure if the classifieds work.

easiest is

go to gallery, click on upload photos and off you go.
then post the link into this thread.

seph
15-03-11, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Could someone give me some tips on how I can place an ad and upload some photos of the car I am trying to sell on this site ?
I see Classifieds... but not clear how to place one.
Regards

You need to be paid up member to be able to advertise on the classifieds.

Paul

wilf
15-03-11, 09:08 PM
Sorry - but AFAIK classified ads are only available to paid up Club members. Nothing to stop you becoming one such, still cheaper than an evilBay auction or Autotrader ad. Tried Pistonheads?

MBCJ
18-03-11, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice KevinW, sorry for the delay in replying I haver been so busy with work..which is a good thing though.
Will upload some pictures of all parts as soon as.
I also intend to join up so as I can place a classified ad.
I was a member years ago but let it slip.
Just want this car to go to someone passionate about Cobras as I am and the Cobra Replica Club is the place.My circumstance does/ will not allow me to finish the car... someone will enjoy it though for sure.
Regards
Marlon.

MBCJ
18-03-11, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the advice Wilf, I have rejoined the CRC and and hopefully this weekend will get an ad and some pictures on the site.
Regards
Marlon.

MBCJ
18-03-11, 10:07 AM
Hi Fatboy,
When Jim passed away I was in the thros of my seperation, and unfortunately and to my disappointment neither Jims missus Kate or his son Simon informed me of what had happened.
By the time I had a moment to go to his workshop.. months later.
Kate, Simon..some parts that I had at his workshop and any paperwork that Jim hung on to had gone.
I am hoping paperwork wont be an issue ?
Regards
Marlon.

MBCJ
18-03-11, 10:13 AM
I just want to thank everyone for there posts.
It is the first time I have ever got involved with any Forum.. why was I so nervous ??
Will hopefully have a classified ad up soon..with loads of photos.
Regards
Marlon.

nbracken
18-03-11, 12:25 PM
Marlon welcome and I am sure your car will find a good home.

I am pleased I was not the only one to have had bad dealings with the late Jim B - mine were back in the early 90's....

FatBoy
18-03-11, 12:52 PM
Marlon welcome and I am sure your car will find a good home.

I am pleased I was not the only one to have had bad dealings with the late Jim B - mine were back in the early 90's....

That would be around the time I bought my car.
You are not the only one by a long way. :rolleyes: Customer service was something Jim only paid lip service to if it suited him. Otherwise, he wouldn't give you the time of day unfortunately.
He was also ones of the great Bullshitters. ;)

At the time though, Contemporary Classic Cobras were head and shoulders above anything else available in terms of quality and originality. The only other one that came close on the quality front was ERA and they used, and still do, a square tube chassis, which doesn't tick that particular originality box.
It helped that Peter Bayer, the owner of Contemporary in the US, owned an original 427 S/C Cobra.

Paul

wilf
18-03-11, 03:25 PM
I recall a Contemporary in the "For Sale" corrale at Stoneleigh not too many years back - anyone know what became of that?

Miket
18-03-11, 03:59 PM
Probably this one on the right of the picture, the owner was from the Bristol area, I think.

Picture taken at the Exeter Kit Car Show 2004

FatBoy
18-03-11, 04:54 PM
I know that car. It was built around the same time as mine. The registration number is one digit out from the one I had. Mine was JGC 312C. I think the original owner had the same surname as me, which was a bit spooky. :confused:
As I said, there aren't that many around and I've probably come across most of them over the years.

Purple AK
18-03-11, 09:14 PM
Probably this one on the right of the picture, the owner was from the Bristol area, I think.

Picture taken at the Exeter Kit Car Show 2004
That'll be the the one! 2 down from the Pink GD and 3 up from the Purple AK ;)

Paul B
19-03-11, 10:41 PM
We actually have two Contemporary's in the Bristol area. The first, shown in the photos, and a second Orange one.

They both have a very good shape with the round tube chassis etc and are slightly bigger all round than my Pilgrim that shown parked next door to the car in the photo's. This extra "muscle" makes it look better and Richard, who owns the blue Contemporary, is often asked by "replica knowledgable" people, if it's real.

If I had the money and time, I would .........

Paul

kdavies3
25-03-11, 12:45 PM
Marlon,
is the Contemporary left or right hand drive?
Or does it not matter at this stage of build?
How come the thread in the for sale section is locked?
Have you sold it?

neilm
25-03-11, 01:49 PM
Hi Kev

Been speaking via e mails to Marlon and he told me that he had it converted to RHD ( Dash and Steering Rack )

MBCJ
29-03-11, 09:02 PM
To all,
Have had a busy few days and have not been able to get to the PC.
Re. the previous thread... thanks Neil for covering for me.
Yes the kit was converted to RHD in the USA before shipping.
The only issue will be having the headers on the right hand side of the engine modified for the steering column.
Regards,
Marlon.

FatBoy
30-03-11, 08:51 AM
Marlon has sent me over 70 photos of all teh parts he has for the car and it really is an impressive collection and includes all the little bits and bobs you would need to complete it, most of them still in their original packaging. All the electrics, switches, loom, solenoid etc. are included. There is a new clutch and Lakewood bellhousing, prop shaft and drive shafts with new boxed UJ's, a Jag diff with new brake calipers. The rear end has billet alloy lower arms and custom hub carriers for Watts linkages, with pin-drive hubs all round with Halibrands spinners. There is a large collection of braided steel pipes for brakes and oil cooler, an alloy radiator with a pair of original style fans and motors, headers, original style sidepipes, carpets, latch type seat belts, all the lights, front and rear, Smiths guages...the list goes on and on.
If I hadn't just commited to a rather large mortgage for a new house, I would almost certainly buy it myself to complete and sell. If someone is considering buying one of the premium kit brands, but wants to save some money or someone looking at a budget brand, but would prefer something better, you really should take a look at what Marlon has for sale. A well built Contemporary is right up there with the very best (apart from Kirkham of course ;) ).

Paul

eljaro
04-04-11, 06:39 AM
Hi you all,
I am also a victim of Jim Blackburn. He built my Contemporary in 94, which was really nice. I thought that it would be just a matter of driving the car and enjoy the ride. Far from true. With the years I discovered that much was wrong with it.
Wrong front wheel bearings had larger interior diameter than the axle stub.
Scratching gearbox because bellhousing was not correctly aligned.
Two times headgaskets blown (with bend rods and ruined crankshafts), because of either too much compression or wrong timing or who knows.
Every time the repair of the engine took about a year (weather was always bad to take the engine out of the shop to test run it)
Then he offered me to replace the heads for aluminum ones, sold me Dove (expensive) and installed Edelbrock (cheaper). Of course I found this out years later.
Then I ordered and PAID for a front suspension from Petrus (AMP), 9/11 got in the way or was also the excuse for delying the shipment, time passed with every excuse and then Jim passed away himself.
I called Petrus and he knew nothing about a front suspension kit ordered by Jim for me.Figure!.
I know many others lost whole cars in the process, with the 2000€ lost I was probably still lucky.
From then on I did everything myself. I bought the Ford FE manual and took care of the engine, rebuilt it completely, and I have taken everything on the car apart, replacing many in the process.
The rear ear suspension is completetly new and, with outboard brakes and AMP suspension parts. Front has got the biggest Wilwood 6 pot brakes which fit inside the 15" wheels, the gearbox is a TKO600 and the carbs are 4x Weber 48IDA.
My latest mod was replacing the block, which is an aluminum sideoiler with 482cid made by Keith Craft
Car is as good as it can get now, I really know every parts that has gone into the car and it is 99% reliable now.
I consider the Contemporary one of the best replicas you can get. It just looks right.

So that is my story, just for other American Speed victims to take comfort in not being alone, just members of a club of aggrieved .

For builders, I have a spare original 1964 FE 427CO short block, freshly rebuild, for sale. Also a Toploader, clutch and other parts which I replaced and which are taking up space in my garage must go.
If anyone interested let me know.I will post in parts for sale shortly.Shipping is from Spain.
Stefan

aaronjb
04-04-11, 11:16 AM
Did someone just say 427CO for sale? I know it's not a SO but still.. *dribble* :)

Rhazz
18-04-11, 10:12 PM
I know that car. It was built around the same time as mine. The registration number is one digit out from the one I had. Mine was JGC 312C. I think the original owner had the same surname as me, which was a bit spooky. :confused:
As I said, there aren't that many around and I've probably come across most of them over the years.
Hi Paul,
I am the owner of THAT car. I remember your Contemporary Cobra and tried to purchase it from you (after seeing an article about your car in a Performance Car Magazine dated Feb 1995) but was referred an ex brewery owner ( M. R****y) in Monaco who was the actual owner of the car. The deal fell through and, after another failed deal to buy another Contemporary (which fell victim of J Blackburns dubious build practices) I somehow found the owner of my current Contemporary (you are correct he did have the same surname as you and the registration was 1 digit different from yours) and succeeded in doing a deal - that was July 1998. I still have it - it is brilliant and like no other.
regards
Richard

kdavies3
19-04-11, 11:29 AM
Hi Richard,
good to see you on the forum. :D
I sent you and or Linda an email the other night to let you that I have now become the proud owner of the kit that was the original subject of this thread. :p
Not sure if I still have your current email?
I should be collecting it after Easter as I'm Egypt next week, awe shucks I'll miss the wedding! :)

FatBoy
19-04-11, 11:40 AM
Well done Kev. :)

I've just sent Richard a PM.

Clarkson
19-04-11, 01:31 PM
Nice one Kev, look forward to seeing it!!

I used to live up the road to Jim's workshop in penge, always loved the Contemporary Cobras!:wink:

Paul B
19-04-11, 04:59 PM
Kev

You B##tard !!!! Now I 'm jealous !

Well done !

Paul

V8 BJC
19-04-11, 05:17 PM
Top news Kev, and all the very best for the build!!!!!

How much is there to do, will we be seeing it in Germany in the summer?

kdavies3
19-04-11, 06:23 PM
Top news Kev, and all the very best for the build!!!!!

How much is there to do, will we be seeing it in Germany in the summer?

Pretty much everything to do. :D
But at least not too many bits to source registration is the main issue I think.
Tremec or Toploader??
I would love to say it will be in Germany but I doubt it. :(

FatBoy
19-04-11, 08:18 PM
Tremec or Toploader??(

A Contemporary deserves to be as close as possible to original, therefore, I say for with a Toploader. A Contemporary Cobra will give you a driving experience very close to an original, so all the bits that you touch and interact with should be original spec wherever possible.

Paul

FatBoy
19-04-11, 08:20 PM
That should have said "I say go with a Toploader". :oops:

Miket
19-04-11, 10:17 PM
Hi Richard,
good to see you on the forum. :D
I sent you and or Linda an email the other night to let you that I have now become the proud owner of the kit that was the original subject of this thread. :p
Not sure if I still have your current email?
I should be collecting it after Easter as I'm Egypt next week, awe shucks I'll miss the wedding! :)

Well done Kev, I must admit I was very tempted at that price. 8-) 8-)

I suppose you will now be going over to the "Dark side" and preaching the virtues of having a FORD ENGINE. ;) ;)

Neil O
20-04-11, 06:08 AM
One by one they fall.....

Good luck with the build Kev, look forward to seeing it/you.

wilf
20-04-11, 07:57 AM
+1.....................

KevinW
23-04-11, 10:32 PM
... another vote for toploader. just imported one for myself and a fellow cob builder.

(but make sure you have a tall diff)

Clarkson
24-04-11, 09:26 AM
As kev likes touring in EU, top loader is not the way forward. I vote TKO.;)

And just to piss Wilfred off, fit a EFI 502 chevy!;)