PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Scuttle

STEVE G
25-09-01, 10:00 AM
I know no-one likes to admit faults in their baby, but who can see daylight between the screen rubber and the body?If so do not dispair.Edgware Motor Accessories 020-8952-4789 sell a T shaped rubber strip that is nearly 2" wide,Part number 412, unlike the standard strip that is 1&7/16". It seals the gap loverly and looks better than a bead of mastic inside the car.They also have a website http://www.rubbertrim.co.uk. I've fiited it and it has effectively hidden the "flat" on the right of the scuttle.

wilf
25-09-01, 01:42 PM
Steve - good tip, might try some of that when I put the car back together after spray.

Wilf

dave
25-09-01, 08:54 PM
on most cobs you can sort this problem by removing the original rubber
and turning it around , this is because the rubber originally should
have been more of a "J" shape than a "T" shape and with it turned around
it forces its self down onto the scuttle .got to be worth a try before
you splash out.
P.S. is this a kit manufacturer fault or a builder fault as all the
screens use the same shape glass so you cant really blame the screen
manufacturer.
if it can be proved that this is a kit manufacturer fault then shouldn't
we name and shame?;-) ;-)

STEVE G
27-09-01, 11:56 AM
Dave The advice to reverse the rubber was suggested but it made the gap bigger.
When I first fitted the wider strip it also left a gap so I reversed it so the "J" went towards the body instead of away.This made the strip sit down perfect.As for the gap in the first place.It appears to be due to a flat spot infront of the driving position.I have noticed it on various models so conclude it is a fault probably traceable back to an original mould taken long ago that has been used by various manufacturers.So who makes a body from their own mould taken directly from an original Cobra body? Not many I suspect.

dave
27-09-01, 09:06 PM
FAIR COMMENT.
HOWEVER I'VE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN OVER 40 DAX BUILDS.