PDA

View Full Version : Kirkham - is it worth it

TonyE
03-04-11, 02:37 PM
Hi all

I'm thinking of trading in my Dax for a Kirkham, big jump in money, but is it really worth it? Anyone with an opinion?

dave
03-04-11, 03:11 PM
Hi Tony.
Only you can answer that one (The money part).

If i was in your position and had the money then Yes, I would do it. The Kirkham is something very special indeed with no compromise on authenticity, unlike ANY other replica on the market, Short of paying a premium for the same thing with a Shelby badge on it.

FatBoy
03-04-11, 03:19 PM
Hi Tony,

This should be interesting. :)

I'm probably the only active member on here with a Kirkham and I would say an emphatic "yes". If you haven't already done so, I would recommend going and having a good look at one and if possible, a drive as well.
I absolutely love mine and it would take a very significant offer to persuade me to part with it. After three years, I still go into the garage just to luck at it and I consider myself very fortunate to own it.

I'm not exactly local to you, but your more than welcome to come and have a good look over mine and if it's dry, I'll take you for a spin.

If you can do it, you won't regret it and there are some very nice used examples for sale in the US right now.

Regards,
Paul

labeline
03-04-11, 04:40 PM
I remember seeing the Kirkham bodywork when Gerry Hawkridge first started doing them. It was stunning. If I had the money I would definitely go that route. There is just nothing to compare with a proper aluminium bodied replica. Why hesitate? If you have the money it will be something you will never want to replace.

KevinW
04-04-11, 10:37 AM
Just to add some counter point, (and not dissing the Kirkham product) but the other issue you might want to think about is whther you want an AC/Autocraft MkIV - similar money, smaller engine, somewhat 'quirky' interior in some models.

e.g. Castello Cars : Genuine AC Cobra - Mk V - 660 Miles (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2510969.htm)

- actually that one doesnt have the ali body, so its about £15k light of the usual superblower price

usually no side pipes, ome or tow other differences. Trevor Legate had one converted to MkIIIS/C status I think.

Both seem to hold their value

aaronjb
04-04-11, 10:42 AM
I remember seeing the Kirkham bodywork when Gerry Hawkridge first started doing them. It was stunning. If I had the money I would definitely go that route. There is just nothing to compare with a proper aluminium bodied replica. Why hesitate? If you have the money it will be something you will never want to replace.

I got to see a naked (unpainted) Kirkham recently, too - simply gorgeous. Far outside my budget, of course, but gorgeous nonetheless :)

FatBoy
04-04-11, 12:53 PM
Trevor Legate had one converted to MkIIIS/C status I think.

I'm pretty sure that Trevor's car wasn't a converted Mk.IV.

Most of the Mk.IV's have a puny 225bhp Mustang engine and "quirky" is being kind with regard to the interior. It was the Lightweights that were more interesting and desirable and I suspect they are rather more pricey.

The one in the ad is, I believe a CRS (Carbon Road Series) and is no more a Genuine AC Cobra than my Range Rover. ;)

Paul

KevinW
04-04-11, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that Trevor's car wasn't a converted Mk.IV.

Most of the Mk.IV's have a puny 225bhp Mustang engine and "quirky" is being kind with regard to the interior. It was the Lightweights that were more interesting and desirable and I suspect they are rather more pricey.

The one in the ad is, I believe a CRS (Carbon Road Series) and is no more a Genuine AC Cobra than my Range Rover. ;)

Paul

- ah, your right, COB5**** were continuation cars, but im a bit confused about the 'build pics' trevor had on clubcobra.
anyway, i see its up for sale yet again, for OIEO 220k!

- as I said the CRSs were cheaper than the ali bodied cars. but ali-bodied AC/Autocrafts can be bought for 65kish upwards I think.
Another 20k spent converting it to MkIII status..... and you'd .......... have a Kirkham ..... :D

FatBoy
04-04-11, 04:42 PM
The build quality at AC around that time wasn't much to write home about and the bodies were pretty dire, comprising mostly of filler. :(

I'll stick to my genuine Kirkham. ;)

KevinW
04-04-11, 05:11 PM
ah, it may be genuine, but its not a Genuine 'REAL1' ! (boom boom) .... :-) :-P :-) :-)

FatBoy
05-04-11, 02:18 PM
I haven't seen any posts from him for some considerable time. Maybe he's finally taken the hints. ;)

I've actually had people come up and ask me if it's a genuine Kirkham, which is pretty ironic. :D

Paul

wilf
05-04-11, 04:19 PM
Now THAT really is extremely funny...............

As to the original question - Of course a Kirkham is worth it, if it is your dream.

FatBoy
05-04-11, 04:58 PM
I thought so too. One of them was at the Goodwood Revival last year. I had just parked up in the "classic" car park and this chap came hurrying over and asked if it was a "real Kirkham"". I was delighted to be able to say "yes". :)

KevinW
05-04-11, 06:33 PM
I haven't seen any posts from him for some considerable time. Maybe he's finally taken the hints. ;)

I've actually had people come up and ask me if it's a genuine Kirkham, which is pretty ironic. :D

Paul

... and its a sadder place without him - I really liked his rants.
The link on my signature i beleive was written with a Real1 in mind.

labeline
05-04-11, 06:39 PM
All this talk of Kirkhams has reminded me to buy my lottery tickets!

TonyE
25-04-11, 10:24 PM
Hi Paul

Sorry I haven't replied before, Been on holiday (it's a hard life!). Much appreciate the offer, but Ive bit the bullet and bought one! and what a beauty! 7.8 litres of pure muscle. Should be picking it up in the next week or so..... A guarantee the good weather will break. Is yours brushed metal? and if so, how do you keep it clean!

Tony

TonyD
25-04-11, 10:51 PM
Tonye,

Congrats in buying a special machine but word to the wise remove your postcode from your details as it could be an open invitation to the light fingered amongst the car fraternity.

Cheers,

Tony

FatBoy
26-04-11, 07:47 AM
Hi Paul

Sorry I haven't replied before, Been on holiday (it's a hard life!). Much appreciate the offer, but Ive bit the bullet and bought one! and what a beauty! 7.8 litres of pure muscle. Should be picking it up in the next week or so..... A guarantee the good weather will break. Is yours brushed metal? and if so, how do you keep it clean!

Tony

Well done Tony. You will love it and keep in touch.

I tracked mine for the first time yesterday at the Donington Classic V8 Ford Festival and it was brilliant. I'm totally hooked.
The car ran and behaved impeccably all day, mixing it with other Cobras, GT40s and Ultimas.

Paul

sumoboy
26-04-11, 07:53 AM
Hi Tony,

Please post some photo's when you have time.

Thanks
Dave.

TonyE
11-05-11, 12:31 PM
Hi Paul

Couple of questions for you.... Does yours have a fuel gauge? Unfortunately mine don't. I'm thinking of fitting one of the 2" dials, any thoughts, whats it like connecting up to the tank?
Also, I'm presuming yours is brushed, if so, how do you keep it clean!!

Tony

FatBoy
11-05-11, 04:45 PM
Hi Tony,

Have you got it yet? If so, post some pictures. :D

I do have a fuel gauge, but mine is integrated into the speedo as a small LCD display. Kirkham supply a solidstate aircraft type fuel tank sender that screws straight into the top of the tank and the wiring is already there to connect it up at both ends.

I went the whole hog and polished mine and I think it is easier to keep clean than a brushed finish because it doesn't have the grain to trap the dirt. I give mine a polish with Solvol about 1-2 a year and then use Mr Muscle Window Cleaner to remove marks and finger prints. ;)

If you get the opportunity, take it to a track day. They are brilliant on the track. :twisted:

Paul

labeline
11-05-11, 05:41 PM
Please stop, I am getting insanely jealous!!!!

Paul

neil31
12-05-11, 07:34 AM
Hello Paul & Tony,

I thought you lucky Kirkham owners might be interested in seeing how a French Kirkham owner tackles his bodywork preparation. There are some interesting photos via the following link, scroll about half way down. And there are some more on the previous page.

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet181090-6230.htm (http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet181090-6230.htm)

Like you, he obviously canít afford a paint job either.;):D Gets an annual visit to his home by a professional to give his car a de-dent, brush and polish.

Regards,

Neil

dolphinboy400
12-05-11, 07:46 AM
Hello Paul & Tony,

I thought you lucky Kirkham owners might be interested in seeing how a French Kirkham owner tackles his bodywork preparation. There are some interesting photos via the following link, scroll about half way down. And there are some more on the previous page.

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet181090-6230.htm (http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet181090-6230.htm)

Like you, he obviously can’t afford a paint job either.;):D Gets an annual visit to his home by a professional to give his car a de-dent, brush and polish.

Regards,

Neil

I want that van! OMG! gadget overload!

snakebite
12-05-11, 12:04 PM
Hi Paul

Tony

Congrats on the purchase..........:mrgreen:Years ago I met several Gas hole Guys in the States with Kirkhams by kind introduction from Wilf :D.........lovely cars. I do like the brushed finish with polished stripes.:p