PDA

View Full Version : Tremec Box question?

PeteT
20-10-01, 08:48 PM
Just fitted to my Dax chassis and gearbox plate. Understand the gearbox mount has to be raised slightly. Is this just a nominal amount so the prop will clear better or is there a certain amount to shim out here for other reasons ? Question 2; I will need to make up a short gearstick, thinking of doing this from a long bolt, what length will this need to be, and will it need to be cranked forward, backward ? etc ??
Thanks for your help Peter T

mikey
21-10-01, 04:44 PM
Pete
sorry I cant help you with the shimming problem but I would appreciate your advice. A waiting my Tremec arriving. I have a ladder frame Dax, if you do did you have any clearance problems with slave cylinder etc. If its easy enough for you to do, any chance of the measurement from rear of engine mating face with bellhousing to centre of shifter position.
Hope you get your answers and good luck with the build. :-)

wilf
21-10-01, 07:48 PM
Sorry Pete - I cant't help with the crossmember shimming question either since I don't have a DAX, but as far as the gear lever is concerned - do whatever seems to fall to hand once you sit in the car. I bought a lever from Finishline in the US (cheaper than Europa)- it looked great with the lockout etc, but when I bolted it up I realsied that it was cranked forward and to the left (looking from the rear of the car) to suit a LHD car!! Took lots of mods to change it to suit my own car (and reach of my arm). So - morale is - wait until your seats etc are in place, then make the gear lever to suit.

HTH

Wilf

PeteT
24-10-01, 10:44 PM
Mikey
The measurement you are after is 670 mm. And no problem with clearance at all. How far are you with your build, or are you just doing a gearbox change ?

GUMBALL
25-10-01, 10:28 AM
Hi Pete,

The shimming for the rear of the Tremec gearbox in the Dax chassis is for clearance of the prop over the chassis crossmember beneath it. I, from memory, had to shim this about 1/4 of an inch to bring the back of the gearbox up enough for clearance.
As for the gear stick, I got mine from Simon at Dax (I think) or from Brian at Repower - I'm pretty sure it was from Dax, and it fits perfectly, placed just right for your application.
As always, Dax are fantastic help for anything like this and nothing is ever too much trouble for them.
By the way, how is the build coming on, we haven't seen you at the club meets for quite a while (I think the Lavenham show was the last time).

GUMBALL

PeteT
25-10-01, 06:44 PM
Mikey
Dont know why my post didnt come up, buy hey here we go again. The measurement you are after is 670 mm. The box fits fine, with plenty of room for the slave cylinder etc., and enough room for the fuel pipe and pos cable run. Is this a box change for you or are you in the stages of building ?
Cheers for now Peter

RigMan
28-10-01, 08:27 AM
The cross member plate supplied for the gear box is a little long. I cut this down a bit and used the off cuts to raise the plate up by a few mill. This was still not quite high enough so I also added a thick washer on each stud between the rubber gearbox mount and the cross member plate. The UJ on the prop then had sufficient clearance over the chassis member.

RigMan

mikey
28-10-01, 12:35 PM
Pete
Sorry forgot to mention the gear position should be thrown 65mm towards the front of the car not the rear.
Mike.:-) :-)

mikey
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info.
Its just a gearbox change. The car has been running since 1995 and I have been carrying out refinements to it since then. The gearbox one I have had to save hard for as allin all it aint cheap is it. With regards the gear lever, Europa do one which I believe vill convert, ie file metal rod to angle & length etc and then slip Europa version over. I have included a piccy of one which I fitted to the Toyota box. Hope it comes out and you can see it.
Best of luck with the rest of the build.
Mike.:-) :-)

mikey
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
Pete
Sorry the photo was so small, you cant see the gearlever properly. However I visited a couple of sites such as Mike Fortes which show the gear shift location on the tremec in detail. I have also measured back from the engine with the dimension you kindly provided. It is almost identicle to the Toyota box I have in at present. As you have got a dax I believe you will find moving the gear shift forward approx 2.5" will place the gearstick in a comfortable position. I have included a diagram if it is of any help which shows how I have it in my DAX. I spent considerable time when I set mine up and it works well. The Europa Gearstick is a replica item of the original which I think looks good.
Hope its useful for you. If the image dosent come out, let me know and I will Email you.
Mike. :-)