PDA

View Full Version : GD V Dax

Two greens
22-10-01, 09:08 PM
I am thinking about building either a Gardner Douglas or a Dax and having a really hard time deciding which way to go. Both seem excellent products with their own pros and cons. GD has the (apparent) advantage of a much lighter car (2000lbs for GD Jag v 2500lbs for the Dax, both with a Chevy 350).

Does anyone know if there really is a 500lbs difference between the two?

GD quote 250 hours build time, Dax quotes 400 hours. Can anyone verify these figures based on their own experiences?

Two Greens

dave
22-10-01, 10:15 PM
As a Dax builder I have my favorite but this is because i have never built a GD,the GD is probably lighter than the Dax but i would think that it is not as much as 500lbs as the dax chassis doesn't weigh 500lbs let alone 500lbs more ,my estimate is that the dax is probably 150-200 lbs heavier than the GD, as for the rest of the parts most of them are the same ie. jag axles, chevy engine etc.etc. the build time on all of the Cobras is around the same as they all have the same parts fitted,i find it hard to believe that two different manufacturers can come up with such different build times, unless one is assuming that the customer is reconditioning all the mechanicals and the other is assuming that they have been bought in ready to fit.with all the mechanicals ready to fit my best build time for a Dax is 67 hours (gelcoat finnish)this is somewhat less than Dax's estimated build time, but having said that i have built to date 42 of them. the last car i builts weight was i think around 950kg on the scales at the SVA test which equates to around 2020lbs .This car was powered by a 350 chevy with iron heads (alloy heads are slightly lighter)
Im sure the GD boys on here will have an opinion, especially one in perticular...come on where are you Robert?.
Oh bugger he's beaten me to it,i shall have to learn to type with both hands. :-(

robert
22-10-01, 10:19 PM
The Jag GD is around 2200lbs, which is 1000kgs. It all depends on what you put in the car. I have the supercharger, and all of the brackets, an intercooler, anti-roll bar, and mine comes in at 1100 with a full tank of fuel and a spare tyre, so take all those things off and you would be at just under 1000kg.

Regarding build time, I don't have any personal knowledge as GD built mine (yes, I know, cheque book builder) but talking to a number of other owners, the build time has ranged from around 200 hours to 5 years. It really depends on how much time in a lump you can set aside.

You might want to have a chat with Steve Senior as he is in the middle of his build, or purple ronnie.

Best Regards

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

robert
22-10-01, 10:23 PM
Not far behind you Dave.

Robert
Forum Admin

PS Buy a GD, you will never never regret it, and Michelle and Meena have the nicest <CENSORED> in the industry!!!!!

Purple Ronnie
22-10-01, 11:32 PM
The only real solution to your "which car should I buy" problem is to go and try them both. If your serious about buying a car both GD and DAX will make demonstrators available.What persuaded me to get a GD is a, they're close to where I live, and b, I've heard that DAX's dont go round corners all that well. I have no proof of this it's only what i've heard. The quality of the GD is superb and the staff are very helpfull with daft questions, especialy the two guys in the workshop,and I can categorically say that it has nothing to do with Michelle's short skirt, eh Rob!:9

Steve Senior
22-10-01, 11:42 PM
How long does it takes to build a Cobra? As long as you want.
It all depends on how much time you spend on the engine, reconditioning the jag parts, making fancy stainless steel extras, polishing the shiny bits, even the size of your garage can be a major factor (non of these are a function of GD vs Dax).

I am building a GD, if you check out my site at http://users.pgen.net/steve.senior I have documented the amount of time spent in the garage on the jobs to date, however you can probably double these times when you include research in to what parts you require, what fittings you need, checking up on any SVA consideration with the parts you are fitting.

Technically there is nothing difficult with building the GD and it is going together very well, it is usually the things outside of GD's control which take the time. For example it took just 2 hours to install the engine and gearbox but 10 hours sorting ignition problems out.

As for those shiny little stainless steel brackets you fancy to make the engine bay shine these can quite easily take 3 or 4 hours each, it all mounts up.

There are only 2 things which you can rely on when building Cobra.
1 It will take twice as long as you plan
2 It will cost more than you plan
But you don't find anyone complaining about the finished product.

Steve

PS Helen, the wife, has just read this and has suggested that an agreeable, long suffering significant other is also a factor. I have to agree if I didn't kick her out to work we wouldn't be able to afford the Cobra}> }> }>

griff
23-10-01, 08:26 AM
Forget the quoted build time, I’m currently building a Dax the only way you would ever complete one in 400 hours is if you have every single part ready prior to the chassis / body arriving and everything fits.

I’ve been doing mine close to 2 years and all the body engine wiring etc is done but the finances slow you down, talking to a few people this is a major factors as you end up fabricating parts which is time consuming (ever tried to polish stainless steel?), even finding parts can be a pain.

As for which car to go for I went for a Dax as I preferred the shape to a GD, if you put the two together they do look a lot different.

Dave
:-) :-)

robert
23-10-01, 09:25 AM
>I can categorically say that it has nothing to do with
>Michelle's short skirt, eh Rob!:9

Nor is it the tops she wears in the summer. I must talk to Andy about putting some more heating in the office in the winter!!

;) ;)

Robert
Forum Admin

robert
23-10-01, 06:04 PM
>I've heard that DAX's dont go
>round corners all that well.

Now that comment might start something off, I hope so as it has been far too quiet recently.

Robert
Forum Admin

dave
23-10-01, 06:21 PM
>>I've heard that DAX's dont go
>>round corners all that well.
>
>Now that comment might start something off, I hope so as it has been
>far too quiet recently.
>
>Robert
>Forum Admin
>
>http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

Im no racing driver and if i start pushing a car to the limit i have an adrenalin overdose and frighten the life out of myself, so unfortunately on this occasion i am unable to comment on this issue, all that i can say is that the Dax drives suprisingly well on wallowy country lanes without scary amounts of bump steer which is much better than any sierra based car that i have driven,as for the GD i have never driven one.
;-) ;-)

robert
23-10-01, 06:35 PM
Dave

You are more than welcome to pop over to me next April when my GD goes back on the road. You should notice a difference.

Robert
Forum Admin

dave
23-10-01, 06:46 PM
>Forget the quoted build time, I’m currently building a Dax the
>only way you would ever complete one in 400 hours is if you have every
>single part ready prior to the chassis / body arriving and everything
>fits.
>
>I’ve been doing mine close to 2 years and all the body engine
>wiring etc is done but the finances slow you down, talking to a few
>people this is a major factors as you end up fabricating parts which
>is time consuming (ever tried to polish stainless steel?), even
>finding parts can be a pain.
>
>As for which car to go for I went for a Dax as I preferred the shape
>to a GD, if you put the two together they do look a lot different.
>
>Dave
>:-) :-)

Dave see reply no. 1
every part ready 67 hours((gel coat)this means once a part is offered up you can fit it as against taking it off and and putting it back in its box until later.)
if you buy the stainless already pollished it saves loads of time and is probably cheaper than paying out for pollishing materials.
the money side of things i can't help with but if you are struggling with anything just give me a call... if i can offer any advice via e-mail or phone its free,its only when i start having to use spanners that i charge, i can sometimes get parts at very good prices also . Tel:- 07785 702005

;-)

dave
23-10-01, 06:54 PM
>Dave
>
>You are more than welcome to pop over to me next April when my GD goes
>back on the road. You should notice a difference.
>
>Robert
>Forum Admin
>

So long as you promise not to frighten me
:o

callum
23-10-01, 06:58 PM
I would like to categorically state that GD's offfice staff in no way influenced my purchase.

However, after two and half years with just the dash to fit I would say forget quoted build time (you just sneak in the garage occasionally and sigh until the bank balance fills back up) and don't try to compare GD with Dax without a drive and visiting both makers. That will tell you all you need to know.

I echo all the comments on time, money and forbearing wives (note the plural - you'll get through a few during the build!):+

paul
23-10-01, 08:08 PM
Hi there I researched the whole lot of manufactures and came down to three which fitted my criteria, they were DAX. GD. and Southern Roadcraft(they were still making cars then).My final choice DAX was made due to two things -:SHAPE and LOCATION (20 min's away)the car was started October 1997 and SVA'D April the first 1999 and total cost 25K.But it was worth it
cheers
Paul :-) :-)

robert
24-10-01, 11:28 AM
Paul

Shape seems to be the over-riding factor against GD. Was the shape a real turn-off for you?

Robert
Forum Admin

STEVE T
24-10-01, 09:22 PM
Meena had a lot to do with my purchase !!!!!!!

Steve T

dave
24-10-01, 09:31 PM
Oh come on you GD guys....for the extra you've spent you could have bought a Dax and had one blindin' weekend in Amsterdam with more skirt than you can shake a Radius Rod at.

P.S. for those not familiar with Amsterdam ,It's a bit like Alton Towers but for adults only."how much fun can you handle?" :7

robert
24-10-01, 10:13 PM
Amsterdam is over rated, I would far rather spend the money on a GD, that way I get to drive a fabulous car that goes around corners properly, and I get to pick up a bird or two, but don't tell the wife. :7

Robert
Forum Admin

dave
24-10-01, 10:40 PM
I wonder what happened to Two Greens who started all this?
he hasn't left any additional messages,do you think we've put him off alltogether?
It is to be hoped that he didn't opt for the e-mail subscription ,otherwise he is still waiting for his mail to download.:)

julian
24-10-01, 10:45 PM
I was in just the same position as you myself, although I considered AK as well.

I narrowed it down to AK v GD after looking everywhere for the cars on sale. I found loads of DAX's, one AK and no GD's. I figured if none were for sale then either there weren't many about or they were retained by their owners.

A visit to both factories made up my mind. GD knocked all spots off AK at the time. (I understand they have now moved into a proper unit).

Since my purchase though I could not fault GD. Brilliantly helpful and excellent build quality. Nothing has not fitted yet and I'm almost complete.

Forget the 200-400 hours though. Just enjoy it however long it takes.

Best of Luck

Julian

paul
25-10-01, 08:06 PM
Hi Robert in a word yes :-)

wilf
26-10-01, 10:18 PM
Mikey - I've kept out of this one so far, but really, should you not be taking your medication on a more regular basis???

Wilf

robert
26-10-01, 10:36 PM
This just keeps getting more and more bizarre!!

Robert
Forum Admin

mikey
27-10-01, 09:56 AM
O.K,O.K. so I was bored and obviously on the wrong wavelength. Just trying to bring a bit of cheer, I'll go back to designing buildings.
Mike.:(

dave
27-10-01, 10:46 AM
No don't do that,you have a natural flair for designing cars....thats the best shaped GD i've ever seen.:7

paul
27-10-01, 12:40 PM
Yeah if it was that shape I probably would have gone for one.
Paul
}> }>

robert
27-10-01, 04:55 PM
Corners, we can do them...

Robert
Forum Admin

mikey
27-10-01, 05:27 PM
Cheers for the support guys,I'm smiling again:-) :-) Thanks for the concern Wilf, wasn't the lack of medication,just took the wrong pills by mistake. I'm back on the right course now (excuse pun), well for the time being anyway.
mike. :-) :-)

Two greens
27-10-01, 06:47 PM
Dave,
Two Greens is still alive and well but have been tied up trying to earn the cash to commence my Dax or GD build (not to mention sorting out my Sumo and doing my own off-line research).

Thanks to everyone who answered my initial question - what it seems to boil down to is personal choice rather than any definitive issues such as spec or build time. Am now off to do personal research on the GD and the ladies I have heard so much about!

Regards to all

Two Greens:-)

RigMan
28-10-01, 07:43 AM
<PS Helen, the wife, has just read this and has suggested that an agreeable, long suffering significant other is <also a factor. I have to agree if I didn't kick her out to work we wouldn't be able to afford the Cobra

Thats the stuff I like to hear Steve!! Of course , the best place to get them to work would be at an electro platers or metal polishing firm. Then not only do they get paid for doing a job, but that you could also get her to do 'your bits' for free. It would be like a double whammy!

RigMan::7

RigMan
28-10-01, 07:52 AM
>As a Dax builder I have my favorite but this is because i have never
>built a GD,the GD is probably lighter than the Dax but i would think
>that it is not as much as 500lbs as the dax chassis doesn't weigh
>500lbs let alone 500lbs more ,my estimate is that the dax is probably
>150-200 lbs heavier than the GD.

At the SVA, my DAX weighed in at 1350 kg. That was with a full tank of fuel and empty of occupants. The DAX with all the bits and pieces on it is no real lightweight!x(

RigMan

dave
28-10-01, 08:18 AM
As i said some where on this thread i wasn't sure (or atleast i think i did without hitting the back button)but from what i can remember the front of the car wsa 400 and something and so was the back....Shrewsbury has scales built into the brake rollers,I will make a proper note when i take the next one.;-)

dave
31-10-01, 10:52 PM
>Corners, we can do them...
>
>Robert
>Forum Admin
>

Corners maybe,but it's the curves that sell the cars!
Lets face it, if you had the choice who would you go tomb raiding with:-Lara Croft or Olive Oil?
:P

mikey
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
You should have realised you couldn't tempt them to Amsterdam its a GOOD LOOKING City and being of a medieval grid iron layout theres not too many CORNERS TO GO ROUND. Now if you would have mentioned Grimbsby they would have related to this and there would be even more fish tails on the highway, especially the straight ones.
Just out of interest when did Douglas decide to change from horticultural studies to mig welding!
Just off to order my hospital food.
Mike.:-):+ :-)