PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Multi Point fuel injection kits

Sime
06-11-01, 01:45 PM
Has anyone fitted or had experience with the Edelbrock Multi Point fuel injection kit #3500?
It allows you to convert a carburetted Chevy small block to fuel injection and gives you control over fueling and ignition with a hand-held box, as opposed to needing a separate PC. It comes as a complete kit with everything that is required and Edelbrock supply the correctly calibrated chip needed to suit your particular camshaft.
I am thinking of buying the kit to go in my AK with 400ci Chevy, but would like to know any thoughts or opinions.
Cheers.

dave
06-11-01, 02:43 PM
All i know is that it is supposed to be easier to use than the Holley version but i have also been told that the Webber single point setup is much better as this system can adjust each cylinder individually but i haven't a clue on the cost of this system.(the Webber setup has 8 trumpets on show under the bonnet/hood ...looks mean but not so authentic;-)

Sime
06-11-01, 03:47 PM
I'll have a look at the Weber website in that case.
It would seem that Weber make most of the kit anyway and then supply it to Edelbrock to add their bits.
Keep the thoughts coming.....

wilf
06-11-01, 07:35 PM
Hiya Sime - What I would like to know (being a confirmed boring old fart who likes carbies) is what are the supposed benefits of a retro-fit injection system? Is there a trade off between bhp/mpg? Or do they both improve?? Fule injection is "standard" on mass produced cars these days, but I thought it was only so the manufacturers can easily introduce certain points on the map for emissions/mpg measurements?? Obviously a lot more difficult to do with carbied engines. Me - I just love the induction roar change as the secondaries open up. I am always open to learning tho', so please enlighten me as to why you would want this additional complexity in your car?

I know that a lot of our American friends go this route using 'stang engines and associated efi, especially in FFR's, but it's fairly rare over here, unless you lot tell me different??

Wilf

dave
06-11-01, 08:52 PM
>Hiya Sime - What I would like to know (being a confirmed boring old
>fart who likes carbies) is what are the supposed benefits of a
>retro-fit injection system? Is there a trade off between bhp/mpg? Or
>do they both improve?? Fule injection is "standard" on mass produced
>cars these days, but I thought it was only so the manufacturers can
>easily introduce certain points on the map for emissions/mpg
>measurements?? Obviously a lot more difficult to do with carbied
>engines. Me - I just love the induction roar change as the secondaries
>open up. I am always open to learning tho', so please enlighten me as
>to why you would want this additional complexity in your car?
>
>I know that a lot of our American friends go this route using 'stang
>engines and associated efi, especially in FFR's, but it's fairly rare
>over here, unless you lot tell me different??
>
>Wilf

Wilf i am by no means an expert on these matters but i think with single point injection systems you can have the best of both worlds if set up correctly (MPG+BHP). Where the carb has its mixture set at a certain revs range for max performance and the rest of the time the engine has to make do with what fuel it's given the injection can be programmed to deliver the exact amount of fuel at incriments(big word)of say every 250 RPM and also be more acurate depending what load the engine is under at a perticular time ie. accelarating up hill as against on the flat,so instead of the fuel settings being that its biggest BHP can be acheived and to hell with lower down the rev range.the single point injection can deliver without any sacrifices....But you can't have one cos all those trumpets wont look right on your car.

I built a Dax Supertube some time ago for a German customer the engine was an all alloy aftermart. big block Chevy (500 ci)and this engine had the Webber injection system fitted and with the long trumpets fitted (better air flow)the Dax large scoop bonnet wouldn't fit it so a Pro Stock drag scoop had to be fitted...It looked wild but not so authentic.

I may have to learn more about this myself as Pro. built cars have to have new engines (not recon.) and kat's fitted if i want to register them as brand new acording to the DVLA bless 'em .

I must stress that this is NOT the case for amauter built cars..."it's ok for you guys" and all that stuff.

P.S. But there are always loopholes in the system which i intend to exploit to the fullest.
}>