PDA

View Full Version : Racing stripes

StuartH
15-11-01, 07:34 AM
I have decided to get round to having my car painted (I've had just about enough of the nice car - shame about the colour comments (it's purple!! - seemed a good idea at the time!!?) :-)). I've also decided that to complete the ott 'beast' image racing stripes are definitely required, so does anyone know a) how wide thay should be 'officially', b) the space between them, c) pin-stripes either side or not, d) what actually looks good.
cheers

Stuart

dave
15-11-01, 10:04 AM
I don't know what the officiaql stripe dimensions are but the one that i usually have are 8" wide each with a 1" gap between,if you want to see what this looks like on a car there is a car pictured on the main page at http://www.hallmark-cars.com

;-)

GUMBALL
15-11-01, 10:39 AM
Stuart,

The stripes should be tapered from front to middle, and from middle to back (being widest in the middle). This is supposed to be so they look parallel from a distance when looking directly at the front or back.

Full dimensions / details as shown:-

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/stripes.gif

Hope this is of help.
Good luck with the masking up!!!

GUMBALL

StuartH
15-11-01, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone,
off to the paintshop for me with instructions in hand - I'm sure having them tapered will cost me at least *?! extra!! :-)

Stuart

Mike
17-11-01, 11:25 AM
Steve,

Where did you get your grill, it looks excellent.

RigMan
17-11-01, 08:44 PM
........Rigman told me to taper and it does look smart.

Yup, about 7 inches at the front and back with at least 8" in the cockpit area. You are meant to have a one inch gap but a two looks fine as well! DON'T use bright white paint, it looks far too leary, use an off white such as Ermine or Wimbledon white, then it will look perfect!

RigMan;-)

STEVE G
19-11-01, 02:43 PM
Mike, not sure what you are seeing,but grille is standard expanded wire mesh with an AA badge mounted in the centre.Behind the grille,highlighted by the unusual sunshine are 2 electric fans.
Regards Steve G.

Mike
19-11-01, 06:06 PM
Steve
The photo looks like you have managed to find some straight 'rod' type grill material which protects the rad but still gives high air flow. Must be a trick of the light. Great looking car and thanks for replying

James
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
Hi

I love stripes and pin stripe edge also
Rigman told me to taper and it does look smart

Happy Blastin

Regards

James;-) ;-) ;-)

STEVE G
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
Stuart
Here's a pic of my car,with stripes,They are the same as on a picture of an original Cobra in a book I have.But most I've seen on racing versions have straight stripes.

rocket
20-09-03, 02:43 AM
Mine go from about 6.5" to 7.5"

( very funny. . . )

It's quite hard not to taper they because of the curve on the body.

I didn't look into this subject at all and just played about with the masking tape til it looked o.k.

Have enclosed pictured from above.

Rgds

Roger:tu

Robin427
20-09-03, 12:24 PM
You've got a Cobra (that does 0-60 in 0.83 seconds apparently) AND a helicopter? Are you sure you're not Rob?

:)

Robin

Drive it like you stole it...
http://www.creffield.com/cobra/index.html

colin_c
20-09-03, 06:35 PM
Robin

Found the attached picture on the SVC website - canadian owner Willis Bowman - have failed to find an email addresss for him or a website for the paintshop that did it...to follow up on colours used. Looks good with the additional stripes either side of the main.

Cheers

Colin

Rodders
20-09-03, 06:53 PM
I have attached a picture of mine for you to see for your self. This is a Dave Brookes car so was painted by his pet sprayer.

rocket
21-09-03, 01:45 PM
O.k. 5-6 not 5/6 what helicopter? Not my fault I had a growth spurt!!

Rgds

Roger

Fly it like you stole it!!:tu

kdavies3
22-09-03, 04:00 PM
Mine are of ther tapered variety.

http://animatedgif.net/flags/-flags-uncat/Wales.gif

Kev Davies
Dax, 383ci Chevy Stroker, Tremec TKO
South Wales

Cobra289
22-09-03, 07:03 PM