PDA

View Full Version : rear drive shaft removals

mikef
21-11-01, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to remove the rear drive shafts from a granada. The six Torx screws on the inboard flange undid quite easily (well i got them out eventually), but i'm having problems with the screws on the outboard flange where they connect to the rear hub. I tried penetrating oil as well as a lot of elbow grease and a fair bit of swearing, all to no avail. As the screws are now in danger of becoming "rounded" has any one encountered this problem and was there an easy(?) solution, if indeed there was a solution.

Thanks

Mikef

fakesnake
22-11-01, 08:26 AM
We had the same trouble with ours. We got the drive shafts out with the stub axle attached, then got our angel grinder, cut the heads off, they pulled the stud axle off, leaving us with the studs on the now ex-torx bolts. Then with a little help from mr Molegrips they came off...

Chris}>

Bob
22-11-01, 02:58 PM
Ditto Chris I've got a 4X4 diff and drive shafts in may garage I plan to switch to one day but both sides at thr diff end had to have the bolt heads cut off with an angle grinder, it must be a common problem. Get grinding it does no harm and the bolts that are left come out easliy with mole grips once the tension in the bolts is released

agwebsites
22-11-01, 04:56 PM
Use a very long extension bar with a high quality bit. Apply a constant presser to the bar, but not enough to shredding the bolt. If it doesn’t move then try the next bolt on the same mettle strip (can remember what they are called).
If that doesn’t work, then use a small bar with the same bit and tap it several times with a hammer, to shock it rather than loosen it. Then return to the long extension bar.
Sometimes heating the bolts can help to get them moving.

Andy

wilf
23-11-01, 04:08 PM
Hi guys - I know this is a bit off topic, but on my old car, I found the self same allen headed bolts would work loose with use. May be it was because I was afraid of doing them up too tight, but probably worth adding to your annual inspection list (you do do that don't you??).

Wilf