PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 Alternator

freddie
24-11-01, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Just joined and dipping my big toe in here.

I'm building a Dax Tojeiro with a rover 3.5 and just put the alternator on, but it's really close to the body and not likeley to allow for any adjustment. Has anyone else had this problem or is ther a different mounting bracket or alternator.

Any advise or pointers if I'm doing somthing wrong would be appreciated cheers freddie:-)

STEVE T
24-11-01, 09:05 PM
Yes I had the same problem try westfield they do a bracket it was 15 2 years ago when i bought one .

Regards Steve

Bob
25-11-01, 08:47 AM
The Sumo uses a Sierra alternator that is much smaller than The rover but chucks out the same power.

DannyK
25-11-01, 02:56 PM
Freddie, as you will already know the alternator fits above the bracket now which has to be cut to allow the lugs to fit in, the tricky part is fitting the adjustment bracket, the alternator mounting lugs can be moved around just by unscrewing the three clamping bolts and moving the front section around, and if you then ask Simon from Dax for a extra radiator top locating bracket you will see that with a bit of filing to avoid the belt it fits a treat, just a small sliding bracket has to be made up to give you all the adjustment you need.
P.S. Belt size is Halfords FAI Autoparts 10A1237.

freddie
25-11-01, 08:57 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the info and tips, I've got to say this is a great to get this sort of info - better than having a worksop manual!
Cheers freddie

imported_admin
27-11-01, 06:31 PM
I had a similar problem and used the bracket from a pre sdi (P6)which is a cast alloy one and looks great polished. You can also obtain them from sherpa van v8s if you can find one. The only change is moving one of the mounting holes on the alternator through 90 degrees which is very easy. This puts it in-board level with the end of the rocker cover on the right hand bank giving all the room you need without all the fuss and hassel.

Shelby
28-11-01, 09:49 AM
Dont you need the P6 crank pulley and water pump to keep it all in line?