PDA

View Full Version : Detling kit car show

dave.n
07-05-11, 01:35 PM
Only a couple of weeks until the South east of Englands kit car show and having trawled through other clubs forums, looks to be one hell of a show.
Last year this show was bigger than Exeter which was suprising given the weather. This year it's a later date, so Detling should be stonking. (even good weather)
Our club stand needs people to put their cars on it (inside). There will be loads of space for the club outside too (in prime parking)
Drivers and cars get in free. Passengers have to pay (as always).
However I will have a few passes for stand cars if you wish to put your car on the stand and bring a spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend.
As normal passes are issued to me when i get there. I only get four so as normal i have to retrieve them for others to use the next day.

So, anyone want to put their car in????

This is my last official act, having handed over to Steve and helping him with a smooth changover.

plantman
07-05-11, 03:20 PM
Count me in Dave. I'll put my car inside, preferably on the Saturday but if you're stuck and/or Sunday

Chris

dave.n
08-05-11, 04:30 PM
Count me in Dave. I'll put my car inside, preferably on the Saturday but if you're stuck and/or Sunday

Chris

Chris I'll pm you.
Dave

big red cob
08-05-11, 05:21 PM
hi dave
mine's available for inside, sundays best for me
cheers steve

kenf
08-05-11, 07:21 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm happy to bring mine along for both days if needed.

Ken

steveym
10-05-11, 05:50 PM
Hi Dave,
Count me in for both days too :)

Ill bring some biscuits!

dave.n
18-05-11, 01:41 PM
We will have the kettle on.
Looking forward to seeing you all.
I'm looking forward to the drag car demo, always loved the pod.
GD are just one of the suppliers that will be virgins this year. And I'm told bigger an' better show than ever.

greenwood03
19-05-11, 11:33 AM
hi ya chaps....well teh weather looks as if it'll be kind for the weekend, so let's hope a good number of 'kits' come along. We''ll be there with a fair few cars ( SKCC that is ) so feel free to wander over for a natter. We are having a pre-show meet, although unlike last year it won't be at Indulgence, it'll be a straightforward Cafe job. We'll be at Mickeys Diner on Bluebell Hill at 09.30 for a quick brekkie before getting back to the Show - if any of you fancy welcome to join us. I expect to be leaving there at 10.15 to get to the Show for 10.30.
cheers
Mark G

dave.n
19-05-11, 12:38 PM
Mark
See ya at Detling.
I'll make a point of getting round to saying hi.

dave.n
22-05-11, 10:00 PM
Great weekend:p
Good to see everyone and special thanks to the guy's on the stand.

One unfortunate problem was that hardly any public came, compared to recent years. Our beloved kit car industry is, it's sad to say....struggling

I had a great weekend:p

aaronjb
23-05-11, 08:51 AM
It was very quiet on the Sunday - in numbers of visitors and numbers of cars, I thought (though I've not been to Detling before, so have no point of comparison to previous years).. I reckon the roast beef/hog roast stand was going to have enough food left over to feed a small town in Africa by the end of the day.

Still the manufacturer stands were useful (although mostly populated by customer cars, aside from Dax & AK) and I did find the small group of (three or four?) Cobras in the corner of the second hall ;) In my usual style I walked past and thought "I wonder if I'd know any of them from the forum" ... and then turned around and headed off :oops: A few Cobras to be found parked outside in the parking, too.

I imagine it was all a bit busier on the Saturday?

Purple AK
23-05-11, 09:38 AM
Should have introduced yourself Aaron :o Of the eight cars we had inside on Sunday at least 3 had forum id on them ;) Saturday was quieter!!!

aaronjb
23-05-11, 10:46 AM
I'm sure there were only four by the time I got there - I did notice forum ID on one of them (rob... something.. parked at the end); but it was getting late in the day by the time I'd made it through the tool hall and emptied my wallet :lol:

greenwood03
23-05-11, 11:56 AM
nice to catch up with a few of you - Dave / Steve(s) and Andy S. In fact i was chauffeured by Mr S as i'd never been in a Cob, fantastic mecanical sound track. Had a great weekend especially Saturday as the weather was soooo kind! ( in fact i think i got a bit of sun stroke as was feeling awful by yesterday afternoon and it wasn't booze related ( honest guv ).....

steveym
23-05-11, 05:28 PM
Yes thanks all for a good couple of days.

And for those who pointed out what a waste of time it was putting my hood up on the Sunday you were right - I only got as far as the petrol station before it had to go :)

Mike Read
23-05-11, 06:16 PM
I went on Saturday ... thought the show was very quiet compared to previous years, but the month delay meant the weather was superb and the trip across to the show would have been great too, but for the idiot of a White Van Man who refused to move over in the fast lane on the M26 link from the M25 to the M20 ... people were overtaking him on the inside lane, but I stayed 40 ft behind him (sensibly I thought) waiting for him to finally wake up. Then he ran over some crap in the road ... looked like a drive shaft or chain ... rather than swerve around it, throwing it up into my path, smashing my number plate and damaging the underside of the oil scoop. Could have been a lot worse, but will need repair and re-paint.

If you're reading this WVM, $%&* you mate!

Mike.

big red cob
23-05-11, 07:19 PM
thanks for the coffee and biscuits great bunch on the club stand. i kept my hood on all the way home, not a drop of rain

steve

dave.n
23-05-11, 09:29 PM
LOL
Mark....Not booze related my arse, thanks for coming and saying hello, I have no sympathy for those that don't introduce themselves, clearly when the stand is populated, and then post on the forum the cars didn't have signs on them and can't name names. MINES THE WHITE ONE.
Those of you that put your tops on with me taking the micky rightly deserved the ribbing, you bunch 'o' wimps. I had a cracking drive home, then layered on the aftersun:oops:
Our new leader spent 45mins applying his roof and I must add looked great, shame it wasn't needed having spent all that time sodding about.
To all that came, well done it's you guy's that make my weekend, so many to mention and I wouldn't like to miss anyone out, so thanks all.
Must add that maybe, the kit car industry maybe a thing of the past. Nobody wants to spend any money (i did). Or has any to spare on hobbies or toys:(
Anything you want from a show can be bought online these days. So the stands that do most of their business online can't gripe really.

Anyway, before I get started NICE ONE I HAD FUN:p

aaronjb
23-05-11, 09:41 PM
I have no sympathy for those that don't introduce themselves, clearly when the stand is populated, and then post on the forum the cars didn't have signs on them and can't name names. MINES THE WHITE ONE.

I'm hoping that wasn't aimed at me, given my post above about not introducing myself..

dave.n
24-05-11, 07:47 AM
aaronjb
In no way was it specific at you, 'but if the cap fits'. There was a bit about the identification of owners/cars at stoneliegh. If only people would just say hello, we don't bite, well not all of us.

What can I say, been there, done that. All nicely signed pictured and a little explanation on spec, laminated and all. Then some little oik nicked it. Do another I hear, well after two going walkies at one show, I gave up.

Same goes for you bonnet lifters out there. I am not a bonnet lifter. Don't do it, not unless you want your wings scratched, or your ali side vents neatly knee shaped. But thats just with you standing directly next to your car. At a custom car show over my way, people had left their bonnets open and left their cars for a short while. One would not start to go home HT lead cut. And an MGB engine was modified by wearing a stawberry milkshake.

These are just a few of the things our lovely british public get up to. I'm sure we have all got little stories of things that have happened with e.g The jacket zip, the small boy with car, push chairs, drinks (as above), kids standing on sidepipes, and I'm sure many more. I've even witnessed someone spit into an engine bay at 'ali pali' many years ago.

I have just read this back to myself.
HELP ME . HELP ME . HELP ME.

I'm turning into a moaning old arse.
Help .help help.

I'm turning into......................................M

Answers on a postcard to.........................

kenf
24-05-11, 07:55 AM
Sadly, you're beyond help Dave! So am I.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Had a really great weekend at Detling; it was quiet as shows go but the people & visitors around the club stand made it worthwhile - glad I made it for both days.

Ken

aaronjb
24-05-11, 09:38 AM
aaronjb
In no way was it specific at you, 'but if the cap fits'. There was a bit about the identification of owners/cars at stoneliegh. If only people would just say hello, we don't bite, well not all of us.

I am feeling a little like I ought to defend myself, though.. FWIW I was in no way complaining that cars lacked identification, pretty little laminated sheets or that the bonnets were closed. In fact, I did see identification on the one car I was pouring over trying to work out what kit it was (Rob's, which I think was a Pilgrim but I could be wrong) ;) I remember when I passed by there were four or five cars and a small group of folks sat near them deep in conversation - and I don't like to interrupt, not to mention I have no idea how to start conversations with people.

But that's my own failing, nobody else's, and I'm not complaining at all :)

(Personally I won't even touch someone else's car unless invited to by the owner. I've had things chucked in my own car when the roof has been down, too, and I know how frustrating that can be - chop off their hands, I reckon. Indeed on the way back from Detling I had a frustrating incident with some yobs in a people carrier on the M26 who decided to undertake me, cut me up and then do several miles in the outside lane at 60mph with their windscreen washer going while pointing and laughing - shame I wasn't actually getting wet, really, eh! Must be something about the M26/25 as that's startlingly similar to Mike's journey above.)

dave.n
24-05-11, 10:05 AM
aaronjb
Picking a conversation is easy, you just did it with me.:p

Most of us sado's will willingly talk about their car if prompted.

Have to agree there are some silly people on the roads. Most driving BMW's

There that should start a fight;)

tonym
24-05-11, 10:21 AM
I'm turning into a moaning old arse.

What do you mean, "turning"?? :p:p

greenwood03
24-05-11, 03:54 PM
Dave, i'm sure it was sunstroke - and to be honest it was merely a coincidence that a few of us trotted through umpteen cases of Becks, Guinness, Strongbow etc.....

Here's my 2 cents,,,,,but 1st a little treat for those that didn't wander onto our 'Stand' or missed this.....as Dave knows we'd decided to try and jazz up teh normal 'park em up and leave 'em' philosophy. So we invested a fair amount of time to try and pull off something a tad different, amongst which one of our guys made these 2 vids which highlighted a few of the bits n pieces that we've been up to in the last year.

I'm sure you chaps will take them in teh spirit that they are intended, a pal of mine posted these on his 'single mark' forum and caused a mini riot with a few people suggesting he was 'advertising'. Given that SKCC exists to serve a slightly different purpose to the traditional single mark Club that was a tad rich!

YouTube - ‪SKCC Detling.avi‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4YwRYjK7FM&feature=player_detailpage)

YouTube - ‪Detling Photo Show‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSj_wV5Rhc&feature=player_detailpage)

FWIW - I think Show organziers are going to need to have a big think about what the aim of teh day/weekend is. I know that in theory thats a simple answer, but i'm not so sure. Owners can have various reasons for attending, but the likely biggest one is to meet old friends ( i say likely thats my perspective). Of course they may be seduced into buying some gizmo, but in reality as Dave says most things can be sourced online so often its the 'looking for a deal' or an impulse purchase. Yes looking at the new cars may be appealing but new cars are few and far between and of course many would hold no interest, save perhaps in some cases for having a shake of teh head in disbelief.
The public too have different agendas, to fill time with the family - or to buy bits for an ongoing project, and the manufacturers clearly need exposure and hopefully firm orders to justify their commitment. Perhaps there's a need to diversify teh smaller Shows into more than 'Kits', and also to make the day more 'owner friendly': good examples being, The bar at Stoneleigh wanted to shut at 9pm on the Sat night - handy when its blowing a gale and freezing cold - by the same token i think there are purpose built BBQ's at many of the Grounds, having those available to the owners would perhaps be a ncie touch, and get people mingling more.

I have to say that i trawled a few forums ahead of teh show and was baffled by the apathy, on many forums it wasnt even being discussed as an upcoming event! Which given that the forecast weather wise was looking good is just plain weird.

On a seperate subject I know that Steve is keen to build up interest amongst the Region for the meets/run outs etc, and as i mentioned to him all are welcome to join in with any of the stuff that we do with SKCC. Sometimes i know its hard to put things on with few takers, so perhaps joining forces occasionally wouldnt be a bad idea. Moreover it can make it more interesting when there is a Show etc as there's a wider group of people to chat to: different type cars, different experiences etc. Its getting close but we're off to France/Belgium for a WW1 day on the 4th June. Given Dave's comments above about the scrotes in this country of you've never taken your Cob over there you should, the French love teh cars and treat them ( and the drivers ) with the utmost courtesy.

Hope you can all make good use ofthe cars through the summer and hope to see some of you out and about.

aaronjb
24-05-11, 04:04 PM
YouTube - ‪SKCC Detling.avi‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4YwRYjK7FM&feature=player_detailpage)

I spotted the black Cater/field which appears at the end of that video with no windscreens leaving Detling just as a friend and I were walking around the outside area - mad thing, I can't imagine driving around with no windscreen and no helmet :D That's bravery - nice car, though :)

aaronjb
Picking a conversation is easy, you just did it with me.:p

Ahh but I did it online ;) I'm much more reticent in real life! (Don't listen to KevinW when he says otherwise :lol: )

dave.n
24-05-11, 04:10 PM
Mark
Great stuff.
As always thanks for the invites. I've always admired the ethos of the SKCC and truly believe it will get even bigger and better(if that's at all possible.
To those that don't know, this is an all make club. One of the only rules is that you must try and be happy and have fun. Nice people too.

greenwood03
24-05-11, 04:14 PM
'no screen and no helmet' - nope thats not bravery its just a different way/style of motoring. You'd be surprised that a well fitted aeroscreen probably has less buffeting that many cars with screens. Mine gets used without a helmet year round, its just about to hit 10k miles for 10 mths. extra layer or two of clothing and away we go.
see Aaron its all anbout perceptions, i blagged a ride as said above in 2 different cars - Cob + bike engined '7', both were new experiences and certainly the bike engined car blew away my preconceived idea that it wouldnt have any troque ( well it doenst compared to the Cobs ) but it was still driveable in 6th at 30mph and pulled well, and when the gears were used it was kidney punching stuff.......

jump into an aero car one day, you'll be pleasantly surprised....can even hear that sat nav in mine up to about 65 and talk to 70, beyond that its a question of enjoying teh engine noise.

robinj66
24-05-11, 06:36 PM
Help .help help.

I'm turning into......................................M

Answers on a postcard to.........................

A bl**dy vandal if this pic is anything to go by........17761

..... and you were moaning about people messing with your car:mrgreen::mrgreen:

dave.n
24-05-11, 09:22 PM
Robin
Many thanks for that.
All I do is, messing it up, most of the time.
Mind you, look at those short legs, receiding hair line and fat gut bucket.
Not bad for a 59 year old. Now aaronjb knows what I look like and he'll be down the meet and know who to give a slap.

aaronjb
24-05-11, 09:28 PM
Now aaronjb knows what I look like and he'll be down the meet and know who to give a slap.

:lol: Yes, and you can thank the one person whose forum ID I actually took mental note of on their car, too.. :lol:

I'm sure I don't remember your car being there when I walked past, though - it's pretty distinctive being white :) Either that or I'm going much more senile than I realise.. which is possible!

dolphinboy400
24-05-11, 09:34 PM
A bl**dy vandal if this pic is anything to go by........17761

..... and you were moaning about people messing with your car:mrgreen::mrgreen:

so he broke someones car then fitted the banner upside down..... tut tut ..... The beer is for after the stand is set up :P

Purple AK
24-05-11, 09:38 PM
Robin
Many thanks for that.
All I do is, messing it up, most of the time.
Mind you, look at those short legs, receiding hair line and fat gut bucket.
Not bad for a 59 year old. Now aaronjb knows what I look like and he'll be down the meet and know who to give a slap.
59!!!!!!!! I didn't realise there were two of us younger than Miket!

Purple AK
24-05-11, 09:44 PM
:lol: Yes, and you can thank the one person whose forum ID I actually took mental note of on their car, too.. :lol:

I'm sure I don't remember your car being there when I walked past, though - it's pretty distinctive being white :) Either that or I'm going much more senile than I realise.. which is possible!
Time to book a GP's appointment Aaron! ;) At 4.30 there were still 5 cars on the stand and we all left at 4.35. 1x White, 1x Green, 1 x Purple, 1x Grey and 1 x Red.

dave.n
24-05-11, 09:46 PM
aaronjb
Was first to arrive and always last to leave................. I was there, but I hid when I saw you coming................or don't you remember.
Danny
You can only do the best ya can with what ya got.
Chris
Oops, I've always told you I was 10yrs younger.

aaronjb
24-05-11, 09:47 PM
Time to book a GP's appointment Aaron! ;) At 4.30 there were still 5 cars on the stand and we all left at 4.35. 1x White, 1x Green, 1 x Purple, 1x Grey and 1 x Red.

Damn.. it's pretty bad, then, that I can only remember the green one.. :oops: Best book myself in for an eye test, as well! ;)

aaronjb
Was first to arrive and always last to leave................. I was there, but I hid when I saw you coming................or don't you remember.

:lol: I knew it, it's a conspiracy!

Purple AK
24-05-11, 09:54 PM
Damn.. it's pretty bad, then, that I can only remember the green one.. :oops: Best book myself in for an eye test, as well! ;)

:lol: I knew it, it's a conspiracy!
Maybe you only remember the green one cos it's a GD? :rolleyes: ;)

aaronjb
24-05-11, 09:58 PM
Maybe you only remember the green one cos it's a GD? :rolleyes: ;)

Ahh maybe it was selective vision.. well, at least I can save the cost of the opticians appointment!