PDA

View Full Version : Vin / chassis number

RAM427Cobra
10-05-11, 02:51 PM
Guys, my car is currently in for MOT and the garage cant find the VIN / chassis number. Does anyone know where this should be found on a Ram chassis?
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan

dolphinboy400
10-05-11, 06:23 PM
mine is on a tag which is reveted to the bulkhead in the engine bay. Is it not on the V5? have you not had it mot'd before?

RAM427Cobra
10-05-11, 08:33 PM
mine is on a tag which is reveted to the bulkhead in the engine bay. Is it not on the V5? have you not had it mot'd before?
Thanks for this. Yes it is on the V5 but the MOT station are determined to match up the registered chassis number with the physical proof visible on the chassis. I have had it MOT'd 5 times before and never had this prob before. The previous garage I took it to has gone bust and this is a new (to me) garage.
Alan

bitsilly
10-05-11, 09:36 PM
The original tag was spot welded to the chassis at the back of the car under the boot. For the life of me I can't say exactly where. However, if your car was SVA'd or IVA'd, then the Ram chassis number is not long enough, I had to extend mine by a factor of 3 before declaring it.

russell_ram
11-05-11, 08:06 AM
Copied from the other thread with the same title in 'general Discussion' .

"The original RAM chassis number position is on a welded on plate on the nearside rear of the chassis behind the rear wheel / between the upper shock mounts. However, if you have a DVLA allocated chassis number then that is wherever the builder decided to put it unfortunately - he should have stamped it into the chassis in a clearly visible position ! "

Russ