PDA

View Full Version : Expansion tank location

Two greens
06-12-01, 05:54 PM
I recently had some work done on my Pilgrim (Rover V8) to sort out an overheating problem. The work seems to have cured the problem but the plumbing is a little curious. A filler cap has been incorporated in the top hose to which the expansion tank (mounted on the bulk head) has been connected. This seems fair enough but the tank is now below the level of top hose. Is this correct? As a non-engine person this seems counter-intuitive. Can any one advise?

Thx

Two Greens :(

normanh
06-12-01, 07:57 PM
HI,
I'm doing a sumo, with a chevy thogh.....I was told to make sure the expansion bottle top was at a hieght above the top of the engine / top hose to stop air locks

as far as I know (sure someone will correct me) as long as when u fill the system the filling point is above the rest of the system, then grav

wilf
06-12-01, 10:14 PM
Hi Two Greens - far as I can remember, that was the way the expansion tank was fitted on my old Sumo. I had the original SU's and inlet manifold, with the line to the expansion tank coming out of near the top of the manifold, in between the two carbs. Tank was mounted on the passengger side footwell bulkhead, and was definitely lower than the top hose, which had a bleed valve incorporated into it (like a central heating radiator bleed valve). Never had any water cooling problems, so it must have been OK. Once the cap is on the expansion tank it is sealed, so water won't flow from the rest of the system into it, thus overflowing it. If it works and your overheating is now fixed, quit worrying and start enjoying.

Wilf

imported_admin
07-12-01, 07:27 PM
Wilf/Norm,
Thanks for the responses. Wilf, I am going to take your advice and just enjoy!

Rgds
Two Greens