PDA

View Full Version : 4 Point Harness fitment.

Dan
09-12-01, 06:34 PM
Forgive me farther Rob for it has been several months since my last post... I have been getting my self it to a fair old state over how I want to fit my belts. I am building a sumo and after deciding I didn't want the standard over the shoulder type harness. I have made plans to attach the top 2 Points of a 4 point harness to a custom made clip that will fit around the legs of the roll bars. (I have single roll bars behind both the Passenger and driver seats). The Height of the fixing point can be adjusted by moving the fixing clip up and down the leg which is then secured with a grub Screw.

My question to Y'all That know is would The SVA ppl compain about the fixing to the roll bar? bearing in mind that the roll bar is mainly cosmetic...

My reason's for having such an arrangement is thus, Seat belt hieght could be adjusted by having several fixing holes up the legs of the roll bars + a 4 point harness looks as though ir could be more comfortable over the shoulders... What are peoples experience of 3/4 point harnesses...?

paul
09-12-01, 07:42 PM
Hi there I'm not 100% sure but I think GD fit their top belt mounting to the roll bar and they have gone through SVA
cheers
Paul

Happy Jim
10-12-01, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Maybe worth noting that the GD roll hoops have all three legs V firmly attached to the Chassis. You might have problems if your roll bars aren't deemed to be "secure" enough.

Good luck

Cheers

Jim

robert
10-12-01, 02:31 PM
Also, ensure the harness anchor points go THROUGH the roll bars. You never know, you might be luck in the SVA.

Robert
Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif

Kevin W
10-12-01, 04:37 PM
I think the twin roll bars will be fine assuming that you nut'n'bolt them to the chassis. After all if you look at the upper mounting on the 'roller seat-belts' thats deemed OK and it looks pretty flimsy to me. Attaching to a beefy roll bar will be a lot stronger. But I'm not sure about this grub screw thing - can you post a pic?

As I'm also considering doing this (a long time) in the future, can I ask those in the know...
Will M8 bolts be OK or do you have to use standard UNC (or was it UNF) bolts to mount onto the roll bar? And also, do you have to bolt all the way through to the back of the bar (i.e. drill right the way across the entire diameter of the bar)? Or can you drill a hole at the front and then weld your mounting bolt in place?

Kevin

paul
10-12-01, 06:05 PM
I think you will find that M8 will be too small as the old UNF would have been 7/16 so you will either have to use M10 or M12. Re bolt through or weld go for the through bolt method as you can quantify the tensile strength of a bolt a weld has to be proven via a destructive tensile test and unless this has already been done by the likes of STATUS then it is very unlikely to be accepted
cheers
Paul

imported_admin
07-11-02, 08:21 PM
Hi Dan,

Paul is quite right, GD do use the roll bar to mount the harness. If I've done this properly there should be a photo attached.

Simon_G