PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 con rod bolts...

fakesnake
26-12-01, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

We've finally started putting our engine together and have got some ARP con rod bolts. Does any one know what to torque these up to? And is the figure with or without the 'moly lube' stuff?

And here is the complete spec for our engine:

Range Rover 3.9 with 20 thou overbore taking it to just over 4 litre
Custom ground 'fast road' Cam from DJE
DJE Stage 2 heads
500 Weber/Edelbrook
ARP con rod bolts
ARP main crank studs
Standard leccy Range Rover dizzy
Range Rover oil cooler take off
Oil cooler

I must say the guys at DJE are very helpfull. Anyone else use them?

Happy new year everyone

Chris}>

Bob
27-12-01, 08:53 AM
The Rover book says 47 Nm for standard Conrod cap bolts. You may have trouble packaging an oil cooler in a Sumo the oil pump is very close to the main chassis rail. Good luck though and let us know how you get on I might want to fit one in mine one day. I may even fit one and not connect it just for the look it gives the front of the car. Happy New Year.

Trigger
27-12-01, 12:09 PM
Hi Chris, if you are using ARP and they came in a packaged set the torqueing instructions should be in the pack. Any bolt has a specific torqueing figure depending on its size and grade. ARP high tensile bolts have a high torque figure, that's why you bought them! The setting must be made using the moly grease supplied on all parts of the fastener. This grease ensures that the friction torqueing is measured and known and the torque you apply is stretching the fastener to the required extent. If you don't use the grease and use the normal Rover torque figure you will have wasted your money and might as well have stuck with the maufacturers original spec bolts. If you have been using Plastigage to check bearing clearances you must check the fit with the caps torqued up to the ARP figure as it will make a difference. The cap will be held in place with more force than when using standard fasteners. Hope this helps.

Compliments of the season to all in the forum:)