PDA

View Full Version : Battery Conditioner Thingymijig.

mikey
14-01-02, 04:21 PM
Iíve purchased one of these battery conditioner jobbies and didnít realise until I carried it home in my pocket that it improves your sex life. Wonderful piece of equipment (the bulge was mistaken as ĎíIím happy to see you dearĒ. My question is when you strap it to your battery and connect it, do you have to take the battery terminals that serve the car off or can you simply attach it and connect with the main terminals in place. Also can you just leave it connected at all times. My instructions have gone walkies before I managed to read them properly.
By the way just out of interest does anybody know how they work to keep the battery fit.
This is possibly one for you Wilf.
Mike.
:-) :-)

VinceGledhill
14-01-02, 05:45 PM
What's that all about mikey?

Never heard of one. I am wondering if you've been sold a "kipper".

What's it supposed to do?

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info

mikey
14-01-02, 07:02 PM
A kipper Hmmm I wonder if thats what did it. No, I dont think so, Wilf gave me the advice some time ago and the one thing I've learnt is that he knows his stuff and dosent give duff information. It dosen't charge the battery, I think it must do someting to keep the plates active or clear but until Wilf stops his daily ritual Bonking and gets his priorities right and comes on line (not literally of course) and helps us I'm not sure. Apparentl
What do you recon wilf, Kipper or exquisite smoked salmony they are exellent and Maplins are selling them for £14.00 at present which is a good discount.
Come on you finished yet Wilf, were eagerly waiting and dont make up lame excuses like I had to eat my tea.
Mike.:-) :-) :-)

Paul B
14-01-02, 07:15 PM
I assume you are talking about a mains powered battery conditioner. I have one that I used to keep the battery on my motorbike in a good state of charge when it was laid up during winter and have transferred it onto my Cobra.

The positive lead has been permanently attached to the positive post on the battery and the negative lead atached to an earth point on the chassis.

The idea being that this particular system applies a charging current to the battery for a predetermined length of time, approx 30 minutes, then monitors the discharge rate over another 30 minutes. If the discharge rate is wrong, it automatically applies another charge and so on.

I have left the connection free in the cockpit adjacent to the drivers door and connect it to the mains whenever I leave the car in the garage. This prevents the immobiliser from draining the battery to the point where the acid starts to eat the cells.

Hope this helps.

paul
14-01-02, 07:26 PM
Hi there tried a cucumber(a lot less cost) and it worked just as well for the visual thing but it was cr*p for looking after the battery
cheers
Paul }>

wilf
14-01-02, 09:26 PM
Mikey - are you not a bit light on your medication?? Me?? Bonking?? Kippers???The very thought. Anyway it's too cold in the garage.

If you have bought an Airflow battery conditioner, then it is safe to leave on permanently if you so wish. Also you don't have to disconnect the battery from the car. (if you have an immobiliser/alarm fitted, it should be OK, to be really sure, check the current drain and make sure it is below the max output of the charger).
If it is not that make, you need to scrutinise the instructions to ensure it is suitable for such use.
All it really is, is a voltage sensing trickle charger. It will maintain your battery at optimum charge for just about ever. (asuming no power cuts!)
There are more complex battery monitoring units which peform discharge tests on the battery and charge it accordingly, but in my view these are a bit overkill for a car battery - more suited to computer uninterruptible power supplies and the like.
Lead acid batteries really don't like being discharged very much, especially the type fitted to cars. If the charge level gets too low, then a process known as "sulphating" occurs (where the battery acid attacks the lead plates in a chemical fashion, usually held off by the process of ion exchange.) after that your battery is just so much boat anchor fodder. (bit like chevy (spit) engine blocks).
Car batteries will self discharge over a period of time ( many months), so just leaving a car over the winter is not good enough - the battery needs some tlc, bit like my missus. The charger is a lot cheaper.

HTH

Wilf

PS - last thought, although safety comes first. Always switch off the mains power to the charger before connecting/disconnecting it. Don't want any nasty sparks with a possible hydrogen gas mix around, do we?

VinceGledhill
14-01-02, 10:39 PM
Aaaaarrrrr....

That's what one of those is. Good idea.

I remember many moons ago, when I was an apprentice and couldn't afford a new battery for my car...

We had one that was new but had sulphated plates. I kept it in my bench and slowly charged then discharged it over a period of about 2 months.

It made the battery good but I'm sure it cost more in Electricity than the cost of a new battery. Who cares I wasn't paying the bill

Regards
Vince@gledhill.info:7