PDA

View Full Version : AK Header tank

labeline
11-07-11, 05:45 PM
Has anyone fitted an AK header tank onto a Cobretti? Were there any clearance problems with thhe bonnet?

Warren
11-07-11, 06:18 PM
I can measure mine if you want? If you aren't sure of height when bonnet is shut stick a block on the chassis and then make a cone out of blue tack and stick that to the block. Lower the bonnect and measure the squished cone, should give you an idea.

Warren

labeline
11-07-11, 06:23 PM
Warren

Good idea. I think I probably have about 220mm based on a very unscientific quick estimation. I know the cap flange and the base add up to 140 so that gives me about 80mm to play with but I will try your little trick and see.

Paul

seph
11-07-11, 06:26 PM
It is 240mm high but can be made as high as you like by taking it out the mounting bracket

Paul

labeline
11-07-11, 06:28 PM
Car looks lovely by the way, if I had the cash I would buy it especially as they extended the footwells for you. If only I had known about AK when I started building mine! I have always liked them.

Warren
11-07-11, 06:30 PM
Try this, but I think AK make them to demand so you could ask for a lower one.

Warren

labeline
11-07-11, 06:42 PM
Just measured it using your cone, I have 230 clearance.

Warren
11-07-11, 08:52 PM
lol, tight then. Like I said, I'm pretty sure AK make them to order so make life easier for your self and ask them for shorter 'legs'. If it's a second hand one you have seen it shouldn't be a big job for a welder to shorten it for you.

Warren

labeline
11-07-11, 09:23 PM
I've sent AK an e-mail to ask them that very question, only needs to be 1cm lower for safety to make sure the radiator cap clears to the front. If I'm spending that sort of money I need to know it will fit!! There is alot to be said for bodywork that you just plonk onto the chassis! I don't suppose any two Cobretti's are mounted the same height on the chassis.

Paul

Warren
11-07-11, 10:07 PM
I put a straight edge across the top of the cap when I measured, by the look of Pauls thread they must vary anyway, probably according to who dows the welding on the day.

Make sure you specify "finished height including cap" and good luck with it.

Warren

labeline
11-07-11, 10:12 PM
Cheers I will do that but have to find a buyer for the wife first so that I can afford it!

Luckily she does not read these posts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

KevinW
12-07-11, 12:22 AM
hmm, might be interested.
spec, pic and asking price please.

labeline
12-07-11, 08:19 AM
Haha! Registered 1958 but still in good nick! She will kill me if she sees this and then I won't get to drive the cobra!

labeline
15-07-11, 03:38 PM
Having decided to get an AK header tank, I now need to decide how high to make it as I don't have much clearance. Only 220mm and a bit. I don't want it too close to the underside of the bonnet.
I currently have one of these fitted onto the manifold. The top of the cap is 90mm above the manifold flange.18580

I will be fitting something like this to replace it18581

What I would like to know is the height of one of these above the manifold flange. Assuming the pipe is o/d 38mm I am assuming they will be about 70mm or less. Does anyone have one they can measure for me and where did you get it from? Once I know this height I can figure out how high the top of the header tank needs to be. I am thinking 210 - 215.

Cheers
Paul