PDA

View Full Version : Pin Drive Wheels on a RAM

steve faithfull
15-08-11, 09:12 PM
Hi Gents
Has any one fitted a set of Vintage Pin Drive Wheels to a RAM,
And if so, What wheel offsets did you use.....
I have been looking a these wheels for some time and even with a new set of machined front hubs ( as produced by SIMON)
I have been unable to calculate a set up that puts the wheels level or inboard of the wing.

Any Info greatfully recieved
Steve

mylesdw
16-08-11, 02:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll struggle getting Vintage Wheels to fit without fairly major mods. Not sure about the rears but the fronts certainly use a different offset from a 'standard' cobra. I think that is why they used split rim wheels, to get the required offset. Not sure about the rears but the fronts certainly use less offset than standard. I guess they were designed for performance rather than looks.

You can get Compomotive pin drive three piece wheels that would do the trick but don't look as original as Vintage Wheels

steve faithfull
16-08-11, 05:40 AM
Vintage have the biggest Back spacing I can find at 4"
which even with deletion of the adaptor will be short of the mark on the front
the rear should be possible one way or another.

I know that Vintage/Trigo wheels have been fitted to Dax cars and I thought the basic axles where the same ?

Steve

mylesdw
16-08-11, 07:57 AM
The rear axles are much the same; I believe most of them use Jaguar S-type width. The front track width depends on the chassis, I don't think any of them use the whole Jag front cross member. The Ram is set up with lots of offset to try and get the kingpin in the same plane as the centre of the rim. This is meant to make the steering lighter and more neutral over bumps. There's not much you can do about it other than run split-rim Halibrand replicas

steve faithfull
19-08-11, 05:48 AM
For any one interested.

I have had a reply from Vintage wheel, and It appears that they have supplied modified wheel that will fit both front and rears on RAM and have all of the info to hand..

Good News.

Steve

Antony
13-01-12, 07:21 PM
I have used Compomotive 17" x 10" on the front of my Ram. The knockoff is about flush with the outer rim and. I also made one piece hubs up with wheel flange in 20mm more than the Jag hub mainly to fit inside the bodywork, and to reduce scrub steer. This has taken a bit of Ackermann angle off. I have done major bodywork to fit all this as when I got the car the right wheel protruded outside the bodywork and the left wheel was about
1.5" inside. I have 17 X 12" rims on the rear, I wouldn't do this for a road car as we are quite wide although I can change the inners if need be, this wheel size seems to have more tyre options.

I guess you have to do the wheel manufacturers spec sheet with measuring your car up, I have gone for wheels well inside the guard flanges so I can use a variety of racing tyres etc and won't get interference issues, plus on
my fronts the tyres are stretched on and only have a bit over 8" contact width, not sure what it will be like to steer.