PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 performance parts wanted - Also a hood in black!

Danny
25-08-11, 01:56 AM
Hi, looking for performance parts. The engine is ROVER V8. The guy I bought the car off says its a TVR engine? I think Land rover, but I will consider it a bonus if it is TVR.
The running gear is Jag, so any suspension parts, bushes etc considered. Need a set of adjustables all round, about to get a Gaz setup from DT Motorsport in Barking, essex - Not 100% tho. Any suggestions on this? Got any coilovers for sale?

Its a 4.0 Litre engine. Was looking for some decent exhaust headers, side exit exhausts. Current ones are mild steel all the way to simpson silencers, underslung to the rear, sounds good still, but prefer stainless side exits myself.

Also,

Decent ignition setup - Is the mallory a decent choice. My current one is lucas from what I see. Been looking at RPi setups and upgrades.
Chipped ECU (MVA chip)

My intention is to get around 300BHP from the rover v8, thats seems a sensible figure before shelling out a shed load of cash. Would apprecite any words of wisdom on how to achieve it and possibly even more power in the future.

Also looking for a hood, in black, ideally Mohair type. Not a performance hood LOL. Or if anyone knows of a manufacturer in essex? I have a tonneau cover already, so ideal to match up the same fixing points.

What have you got?......:D

PM me or call 07530 18 26 19. Can collect, pay cash.

tonym
25-08-11, 02:40 AM
In my humble opinion you'll really struggle to get 300 bhp from a 4.0 rover engine. It can be done with a bigger rover engine though as both sidecarbod and myself have done it. :-)

dolphinboy400
25-08-11, 06:35 AM
In my humble opinion you'll really struggle to get 300 bhp from a 4.0 rover engine. It can be done with a bigger rover engine though as both sidecarbod and myself have done it. :-)

better burst the rest of his bubble and tell how much 300 bhp is likely to cost tone. Oh welcome Danny, great name :D

craggle
25-08-11, 08:18 AM
In my experience TVR and Land Rover engines are the same thing. I rebuilt a TVR Chimera 4.0 engine recently and that was completely standard Land / Range Rover with just a different camshaft.

I have some cylinder heads in the garage that need a new home.
They are Rovercraft stage 4 ones. They have the biggest valves you can get in the standard castings, Flowed and ported to within an inch of their life and nice bronze valve guides with triple valve springs. They may need skimming to get the compression correct for the 4.0 engine but they will help you on your quest for more power.

I bought them a few years ago as originally I was going Rover power in my Dax but changed my mind later on.
I would need £600 for the pair though as that's what I paid for them.

If your into carburettors I could also help you out with a full set or Dellorto 45 downdrafts on Rovercraft manifolds. :)

Craig.

427scr
25-08-11, 08:25 AM
better burst the rest of his bubble and tell how much 300 bhp is likely to cost tone. Oh welcome danny, great name :d

300bhp = £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££

Adam001
25-08-11, 09:00 AM
If you want 300bhp with any kind of reliability you need to ditch the 4.0 and get a red graded or top hat 4.6 block to start then work from there.

Either way you are looking at a lot of money unless you consider a supercharger/nos.

You will ideally need....

Up the limiter to around 6500rpm which will need new pistons, conrods, valve springs, rockers, valve retainers, pushrods and lifters
You will need to have the heads ported with larger valves (standard ones might just do it with the right cam)
New cam
Exhaust with the correct primary length and a different inlet manifold, carb manifold modified for sequential injection or other
If you do all that you might aswell stroke it!!

Can be done but you ought to do the sums before you do anything. I'm running a 3.9 for IVA but to get the kind of power I want the only really viable option is a swap of engine architecture.

Adam001
25-08-11, 09:04 AM
Hmm I've lost the ability to edit my posts at all...

Forgot to mention...need to budget in a duplex timing chain, all the gaskets etc

Would also be a good idea to do all the optional work such as oil path changes while you are at it

tonym
25-08-11, 09:57 AM
It's not overly expensive to get 300bhp from a rover engine if you start with a good block and do some work yourself. Certainly no dearer than trying to get good power from an American engine with the current exchange rate and delivery/taxes etc.

Danny
27-08-11, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have seen form other threads that the rover V8 is a pricey lump to modify. How come?

I had an Audi TT roadster 225 before (leave the hairdresser jibes out! LOL). I had AMD work on it in Essex. Good place for VAG cars BTW. They did alot to it, coilovers, exhausts, mapping, etc. It was a great car, didnt mind spending the money on her. Im the same with the Cobra, just want to do it right.

Its also making me woner if my other idea of going with a Chevy lump in the future instead they are cheaper to tune - I could sell my rover setup for decent money I reckon. Will weight up my options over the winter. In the meantime I think I will live with the Rover 4.0, tweak it up a bit and take it from there.

Appreciate you all preparing me for big bills!:D

Danny
27-08-11, 05:43 PM
better burst the rest of his bubble and tell how much 300 bhp is likely to cost tone. Oh welcome Danny, great name :D

Us Dannys are getting more popular. I even have a son called Daniel, after me of course! Guess what my dads name is........... Its funny when we are all together!

Sidecarbod
27-08-11, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have seen form other threads that the rover V8 is a pricey lump to modify. How come?

....Supply and demand I guess, there are a shed load of tuning parts for Chevy lumps, this drives the price down, the same can not be said of teh Rover lumps

Its also making me woner if my other idea of going with a Chevy lump in the future instead they are cheaper to tune - I could sell my rover setup for decent money I reckon. Will weight up my options over the winter. In the meantime I think I will live with the Rover 4.0, tweak it up a bit and take it from there.

I thought about swapping my old 3.5 out for a Chevy lump but in the end I went for a 4.6 short engine and built a motor up out of that. I don't think either method of gaining more power is particularly cheap, yes SBC lumps can be built quite cheaply and have more capacity to start with but you will need a new ignition system, new exhausts, gearbox, engine mounts...etc, etc.

The lesson to learn is that BHP is never cheap!

Danny
27-08-11, 05:51 PM
In my experience TVR and Land Rover engines are the same thing. I rebuilt a TVR Chimera 4.0 engine recently and that was completely standard Land / Range Rover with just a different camshaft.

I have some cylinder heads in the garage that need a new home.
They are Rovercraft stage 4 ones. They have the biggest valves you can get in the standard castings, Flowed and ported to within an inch of their life and nice bronze valve guides with triple valve springs. They may need skimming to get the compression correct for the 4.0 engine but they will help you on your quest for more power.

I bought them a few years ago as originally I was going Rover power in my Dax but changed my mind later on.
I would need £600 for the pair though as that's what I paid for them.

If your into carburettors I could also help you out with a full set or Dellorto 45 downdrafts on Rovercraft manifolds. :)

Craig.

The TVR engine part is a good selling point in any advert I suppose, makes it sound better than plain rover. Them heads sound nice, will let you know what I decide. Love carbs (the sound), but was told to keep the EFi. I will give it a thought still.

slogger
27-08-11, 07:33 PM
...........Its also making me woner if my other idea of going with a Chevy lump in the future instead they are cheaper to tune - I could sell my rover setup for decent money I reckon. Will weight up my options over the winter. In the meantime I think I will live with the Rover 4.0, tweak it up a bit and take it from there.

Appreciate you all preparing me for big bills!:D

Welcome to the mad house Danny! You appear to have a sense of humor........enjoy.:D;)

Adam001
27-08-11, 09:16 PM
Nothing wrong with Carbs, but it's down to what you are after.

EFI gives you more flexibility and adjust-ability and will give better power delivery in a good set-up (the rover EFI manifold is far from ideal!), but EFI is more complicated and has a higher initial cost.

Does your car have to have a emissions test?

Danny
29-08-11, 02:31 PM
I dont think it has an emissions test, will ask my mate who MOT'd it. Is it down to the build date? After 1993 or around then for emission tests? If so, my car was built in 96, the plate is age related and on a P reg. Its all up and running with EFi and goes well, a case of if its not broke, dont fix it.

With the weather like this in August, a hood is high priority on the hit list! I think I might order one from europa in the next few days.

Adam001
29-08-11, 08:32 PM
The emissions test is down to what age engine was put in at IVA, the block has to be pre August 1992 to qualify as a non-cat car, still has a emissions test but it's very lenient. After that date you have to have cats and the tests are harder.

That will affect any choices you want to make, it's tends to be easier to pass cars on EFI rather than carbs.