PDA

View Full Version : Original Dash Knobs - Part 2!

Lloyd Barnes
07-09-11, 09:26 AM
After a quick catch up with KevD and KevW I’m putting myself forward to organize a new group knobs purchase. I’ve had a long chat with KevW about his experiences on the last group buy and he’s given me some pointers as to how we can make life easier this time hopefully!

This is for the two black fluted knobs that control the dash dimmer and the wiper switches (see attached pics or Kevs pic on the first group buy) or can be used to control other functions but keep the original look. The only part we need to source from abroad are the knobs themselves so this is what this group buy is for. The switches can be bought from Holden,www.holden.co.uk/ (http://www.holden.co.uk/), or adapted from other switches if you plan to use the knobs to control other functions. I actually live reasonably close to Holden so what I’ll try to do at some point is drop down to see them and post up some info on what switches they recommend. However those can be sourced direct yourselves without the need to complicate the group buy.

There are two potential supply sources for the knobs and I’ll check both out to see which way we need to go and get back to you with more info. My plan is to leave this post up for a couple of weeks to make sure anyone interested can jump onboard. Please can you reply to this thread indicating your interest. Once I have numbers interested I’ll work out a price for a pair including a share of customs clearance charges and shipping. I’ll also include P&P to you in the price. I’ll probably add a pound or two to each set just to ensure that all costs are covered. I’ve no interest in making profit personally, (although I hope not to be out of pocket) so if there turns out to be a small profit at the end I will pass that onto the club. The knobs themselves are around $20 per set so shouldn’t work out too much even with the other costs.

At that point I’ll place the order and pay for the knobs myself. Once they are here I’ll let you know and at that point all of the people on the list can forward payment and I will then send out the knobs to you once payment is received. If anyone drops out for any reason then after a reasonable time I’ll simply advertise any remaining for sale on the site. I’ll probably get a couple of sets extra as there seems to be plenty of interest.

Hope that’s all ok and makes sense. PM me if not or you have any other questions.

ANYONE INTERESTED PLEASE CAN YOU ADD YOUR NAME TO THIS THREAD SO I CAN GET AN IDEA OF NUMBERS. CHEERS.

JimmyJazz
07-09-11, 01:58 PM
Thanks for volenteering Lloyd, I reckon that Kev bloke would of been no good anyway :)

I'll have 2 sets please.

KevinW
07-09-11, 02:38 PM
.... in homage to a very old BBC sitcom with Derek Nimmo....

I hereby bless these new knobs.
Long may they be twiddled and enjoyed.

Father Kev.

alex
08-09-11, 09:10 AM
Thanks Lloyd, I'll take a set

Alex

p1stol
08-09-11, 11:18 AM
hi there put me down for 2 sets please

Neil O
08-09-11, 04:15 PM
One set for me please lloyd

427jlc
08-09-11, 08:59 PM
Hi Lloyd, count me in for a set please. Lee

kdavies3
09-09-11, 07:32 AM
Well done Lloyd, you probably already have me down for a set but just in case I'll request a set here.

Many Thanks for your efforts.

v8pete
11-09-11, 09:51 PM
+1 ...Please put me down for a set too Lloyd. Very good of you to organise this.
Cheers!
Pete

Neil O
14-09-11, 06:32 AM
Do you have them yet Lloyd? ;)

Lloyd Barnes
14-09-11, 12:06 PM
Arrived two weeks ago :-D

I'm on holiday from Monday, so the plan is to leave this thread until Friday morning to make sure everyone has a chance to jump onboard. On Friday I'll try to finalise costs and post them up. Assuming they are ok I'll hopefully get the order placed on Monday before I bugger off. Doesn't it all sound so simple when said like that!!!

I will have internet access whilst away so may be able to add more knobs, keep the group informed of progress if I can tear myself away from the cocktails.. :razz:

StewbieC
14-09-11, 12:16 PM
Cocktails? Are you going to the south of England then? That's where they drink Barcardi and Cokes, Pina Coladas and such like?
Incomming!

Lloyd Barnes
14-09-11, 12:21 PM
You were close with the rum! and its an all inclusive/AKA get your moneys worth... I may need medivacing home :-D

So far then I have

JimmyJazz - 2
Alex - 1
P1stol - 2
Neil O - 1
Lee - 1
Kev D - 1
V8Pete - 1

any more??? I'll order a couple extra anyway

KevinW
14-09-11, 02:42 PM
Cocktails? Are you going to the south of England then? That's where they drink Barcardi and Cokes, Pina Coladas and such like?
Incomming!

No need - you are correct.
In the SE its always tricky deciding whether to have another cocktail, or put another 2 gallons of HMRC finest in the car.

Lloyd Barnes
16-09-11, 08:24 AM
Including a couple extra we are looking at ordering 12 sets. Costs are as follows per set

knobs $8.62 each = $17.24
VAT at 20% = $3.45
Import Duty = $0.86
shipping = $75/12 sets = $6.25
Parcelforce Admin Fee = £13.50/12 = £1.13
Total Cost into the UK per set = $27.8 or £17.35 + £1.13 = £18.48

Then I'll need to package them up and send them to you.
I suggest a price of £25 per set delivered to you to cover this and any other things I've missed

As I said before I'm not out to make profit so anything left over I'll post the amount and pass it onto Chris for club funds.

Am waiting for confirmation they do actually have 12 sets. Assuming so and if no-one pulls out between now and Monday morning I will place the order Monday morning.

I'm back in the UK Sat 1st Oct so I'll be able to tell you if they've arrived at that point.

Hope all ok

dingocooke
16-09-11, 09:57 AM
Lloyd
Is it too late to put me down for one set please???
Ta
Steve

kdavies3
16-09-11, 10:05 AM
Lloyd, I thought Dick turpin was dead and buried. ;) (only joking)
That seems fine to me, just let me know how you want paying and when?
Maybe via paypal is easiest? you should have room to absorb any paypal fees in your calcs. :D

KevinW
16-09-11, 12:39 PM
Im so glad Im outta this.....!

Lloyd Barnes
16-09-11, 03:00 PM
Hi Steve, no problem, I'll put you down for a set.

Kev, we'll sort payment for stuff only when I have them here and ready to ship out.

I reckon by the time I'm finished sending them out etc, it'll have cost me around £21-22 per set. Like I said, I don't want to make money so my plan is to post up the final full costs so everything is transparent and send the balance on to Chris. I doubt it will be much, perhaps £20 or £30 but every little helps etc. Buying them singly, everyone would pay the 13.50 admin fee so we're all still making a decent saving.

427jlc
16-09-11, 04:02 PM
Steve.......cobraless..... ordering knobs? ...........is there a cob on the horizon? I was going to ask if you wanted to sell the twins fans you had?

Lee

Purple AK
16-09-11, 04:09 PM
Put me down for a set Lloyd (if they have enough stock)

Lloyd Barnes
19-09-11, 07:20 PM
Hi gents

Superformance in South Africa have confirmed they have sufficient knobs in stock and the order has been placed and paid for just now. I'm back in the uk on 30th so will be able to update you if they have arrived at that point.

All going worryingly smoothly at the moment! Can it last???! :-D

rsk289
27-09-11, 10:36 PM
Is it too late to order 2 sets, please?

Roger King

KevinW
27-09-11, 11:18 PM
Blimey - what a response to a group buy! - I hope you get all of them Lloyd.
.... and the smart money would have ordered 2-3 sets extra to charge at highly inflated prices!

Lloyd Barnes
27-09-11, 11:27 PM
Hi Roger

I ordered two extra sets so you are in luck assuming they all turn up. If so then that's it folks, they're all sold.

Out of curiosity those ordering two sets, what are you doing with the second set?

aaronjb
28-09-11, 10:23 AM
Out of curiosity those ordering two sets, what are you doing with the second set?

.. strikes me that could be a dangerous question to ask ;)

Neil O
28-09-11, 11:59 AM
Why do you care Kev?
This is not your Group Buy so bugger off and fit the knobs you already have. ;)

dingocooke
28-09-11, 03:38 PM
Why do you care Kev?

You are such a smooth talker Neil........ ;-) :-D

tonym
28-09-11, 04:06 PM
You are such a smooth talker Neil........ ;-) :-D

Smoother than his shirts, anyway :-)

KevinW
28-09-11, 04:59 PM
Why do you care Kev?

I dont (like you :) ) I have, and its because my psychiatrist told me it would be good for my self-confidence to see what the other boys were doing now Im not involved anymore.
Now Ive got to up the dose again. Thanks.

Lloyd Barnes
17-10-11, 09:39 AM
Gentlemen,

the knobs have landed!! :-D Thanks to Kev for some advice in how to get this one to run smoothly...!

Below is the list of people who pre-ordered sets. I've set up a paypal account so can accept payment by Paypal, cheque or bank transfer. I'll post out the knobs to each individual person once payment is received from you. Price is £25 per set of two including P&P. I don't want to post all my account details here so if you PM me I will send you the details.

If you've changed your mind and don't need them please let me know as I can then shift them elsewhere. Andrew is looking for a set so if you have ordered two sets to sell one then here's your first customer! Anyone else wanting them I will add them to the list in the order they ask to get any sets that are spare.

Once all the knobs are gone, I'll finalise costs (i've not yet had the invoice from Fedex for clearance/Vat etc), and post any profits the group buy has generated which I'll pass onto Chris for club funds.

Username

Name

Sets

Paid

JimmyJazz

Alan

No

Alex

Alex

No

P1stol

No

NeilO

Neil

No

427jlc

Lee

No

kdavies3

Kev

No

v8pete

Pete

No

dingocooke

Steve

No

Purple AK

Chris

No

rsk289

Roger

No

Hubby

Andrew

Next in line for any set spare

Think thats everything. Thanks all for the support for the group buy. Any queries etc, please let me know.

Lloyd

dingocooke
17-10-11, 10:52 AM
nice work young man, you have mail...

KevinW
17-10-11, 11:15 AM
Knob heaven! :-P

well done that man.
I officially declare you to be the club knobs expert now, and pass the chalice on......

Neil O
17-10-11, 10:45 PM
Lloyd, you have a pm. :)

Purple AK
18-10-11, 08:06 PM
Lloyd you have a Pm. Andrew you've scored ;)

Username

Name

Sets

Paid

JimmyJazz

Alan

No

Alex

Alex

No

P1stol

No

NeilO

Neil

No

427jlc

Lee

No

kdavies3

Kev

No

v8pete

Pete

No

dingocooke

Steve

No

Purple AK

Change of Plan

rsk289

Roger

No

Hubby

Andrew

No

Lloyd Barnes
18-10-11, 08:34 PM
Guys, lots of you PMing and sending payments today... thankyou for that. I'm away until tomorrow afternoon but I'll update the thread with who has paid so you know I've received your payments (saves me responding individually). I have nicked some padded envelopes from work and I'll get everyone who has paid's knobs into the post first thing Thursday morning.

Hubby/Andrew, sounds like Chris has come to your rescue so I'll PM you details of payment methods if you still want the set. :-)

King Knob :-) (Cheers Kev!!)

Hubby
18-10-11, 09:20 PM
thats awesome Thanks chris .

payment sent lloyd

Purple AK
18-10-11, 09:31 PM
thats awesome Thanks chris .

payment sent lloyd
Glad to have helped ;)

Lloyd Barnes
19-10-11, 08:29 PM
Quick update gents.

Almost everyone has now been in touch and either already paid or organised what they are doing. All those marked paid below I've received your payment and I'll be sending the knobs out in the morning. Those marked payment in process we've been in touch and I'm just waiting for payment to arrive. As soon as that arrives I'll get the knobs straight out to you.

Username

Name

Sets

Paid

JimmyJazz

Alan

Paid

Alex

Alex

Paid

P1stol

Payment in Process

NeilO

Neil

Payment in Process

427jlc

Lee

Payment in Process

kdavies3

Kev

Paid

v8pete

Pete

Paid

dingocooke

Steve

Paid

rsk289

Roger

No

Hubby

Andrew

Paid

Thanks all for a fast response. Any queries give me a shout. :-)

Lloyd

v8pete
19-10-11, 09:09 PM
Now that I'm the proud owner of 2 new knobs, I might need to go here and get one of these next :

WELCOME TO CLUB OF THE KNOBS (http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/)

Pete (be warned... this is how every knob addiction begins...)

Lloyd Barnes
21-10-11, 10:46 AM
Hi folks,

latest state of play. All those marked as paid I've received your payment (Neil put you down as paid, enjoy the rum!). I've shipped all those paid except Neil and Rogers. These two I will package up and send off in the morning. As usual any queries please shout.

Username
Name
Sets
Paid
Shipped?

JimmyJazz
Alan
Paid
Yes

Alex
Alex
Paid
Yes

P1stol

Payment in Process
No

NeilO
Neil
Paid
Shipping in morning

427jlc
Lee
Payment in Process
No

kdavies3
Kev
Paid
Yes

v8pete
Pete
Paid
Yes

dingocooke
Steve
Paid
Yes

rsk289
Roger
Paid
Shipping in morning

Hubby
Andrew
Paid
Yes

427jlc
22-10-11, 11:23 AM
Hi Lloyd, paypalled 1 mins ago.

Thanks Lee

Dutch Paul
22-10-11, 01:36 PM
Am I too late to order a new knob?
Mine is worn down a bit through too much polishing - it seems to have shrunk a bit too.
Also there is a slight yellow discharge sometimes when using it.
Should I be worried?
Is it time to order a new one? :confused:

Lloyd Barnes
22-10-11, 01:36 PM
Hi Lloyd, paypalled 1 mins ago.

Thanks Lee

Hi Lee

received, thanks. I'll pop your knobs in the post Monday :-)

dingocooke
22-10-11, 05:39 PM
I am happy to report I had 2 knobs in my hand this morning, and you really cant tell Lloyd has handled them before me; I spotted the postman having a good feel before he eased them through the letterbox too.......
They are just the job and shine up nicely

Thanks for all the hard work Lloyd...:-)

kdavies3
22-10-11, 05:42 PM
Got mine today too.
Thanks again KING KNOB.

alex
22-10-11, 07:59 PM
Knobs received today. Thanks Lloyd, top man.

Alex

v8pete
23-10-11, 08:37 PM
May thanks Lloyd - got mine yesterday!
Pete

Hubby
24-10-11, 07:56 AM
Got mine on friday they look great, thanks for organising this group buy and thanks for managing to get me a set, first class

Andrew

Lloyd Barnes
24-10-11, 08:56 AM
Right, almost there. Neil/Lee/Roger your knobs went to the post office this morning (sorry didn't get them done Saturday). Only 1 pair of sets left to go now.

Username
Name
Sets
Paid
Shipped?

JimmyJazz
Alan
Paid
Yes

Alex
Alex
Paid
Yes

P1stol

Payment in Process
No

NeilO
Neil
Paid
Yes

427jlc
Lee
Paid
Yes

kdavies3
Kev
Paid
Yes

v8pete
Pete
Paid
Yes

dingocooke
Steve
Paid
Yes

rsk289
Roger
Paid
Yes

Hubby
Andrew
Paid
Yes

Lloyd Barnes
24-10-11, 02:44 PM
Final update.... all the knobs have gone out to the people who pre-ordered.

I now have one set spare. I did get an enquiry from a guy in the US as Superformance are now saying 8 week wait list for the knobs?! I've dropped him a mail to see if he still wants them. If not then is there anyone else here who would like a set?

If I still have them in say 48hrs I'll stick them up on Ebay but I wanted to give people here the chance first...

Here endeth Original Knobs Group Buy 2..... :-D

aaronjb
24-10-11, 02:46 PM
as Superformance are now saying 8 week wait list for the knobs?!

Clearly you and Kev have just bought all their stock.. :lol:

[edit] Ooh, you can now charge extra because they are "Rare, sought after and hard to get hold of!" ;)

Lloyd Barnes
24-10-11, 02:51 PM
Clearly you and Kev have just bought all their stock.. :lol:

[edit] Ooh, you can now charge extra because they are "Rare, sought after and hard to get hold of!" ;)

Thats what I thought until John Kerr showed me some he has in the cupboard when I was in there last week!! :rolleyes:

aaronjb
24-10-11, 02:54 PM
Thats what I thought until John Kerr showed me some he has in the cupboard when I was in there last week!! :rolleyes:

You mean you could all just have got your knobs from JK?

http://i52.tinypic.com/11t6g3k.jpg

;) ;)

dingocooke
24-10-11, 03:04 PM

Do'h.......haha that is absouletly priceless!!!! Still ain't it often the same when you buy something, you find somebody else selling it closer/cheaper etc ....:-)

Lloyd Barnes
24-10-11, 03:20 PM
Do'h.......haha that is absouletly priceless!!!! Still ain't it often the same when you buy something, you find somebody else selling it closer/cheaper etc ....:-)

New old stock still in original Lucas bags.... fortunately he only had about 3 or 4 and they weren't engraved, just plain black fluted.... but he did give me that grin of his!!!

and he'll be reading this and laughing! Get back to number 54 Kerr and don't fall over that gently rusting chassis in the corner!!! :mrgreen:

Lloyd Barnes
25-10-11, 07:43 AM
Right the last set of knobs has now been sold so we're all done. I've added up the costs and in the end it cost me around £19 per set inc customs/vat/postage etc. My best guess looking at the numbers if that if we had each bought individually it would have cost approx £30 so a useful saving.

I've sold 13 sets at £25 so thats about £80 profit. I'm organising with Chris for that to be sent over to Marion for club funds.

Thanks for all the support for the buy and paying so promptly. :-)

wilf
25-10-11, 11:42 AM
See? That's Crendon owners for you - magnanimous and generous to a fault.

KevinW
28-12-11, 11:41 AM
for any of you struggling to decide how those fluted knobs will mount in your dash, and decide you dont want to scratch around looking for Lucas NOS, I nticed that Europa are now doing these -

https://www.europaspares.com/product/75/18046/ELECTRICAL/SWITCHES/LUCAS_RHEOSTAT_ROTARY_SWITCH____RS004.html

https://www.europaspares.com/product/0/18040/LUCAS_ROTARY_LIGHTS_SWITCH___RS003.html

- obviously woud need some investigation to se if ot could be adapted for wipers.

dingocooke
28-12-11, 11:55 AM
brake reverse light switches, lenses items in Auto Electrical Spares store on eBay! (http://stores.ebay.co.uk//autoelectricalspares)

Typical Europa try guy above has loads, and I believe so do SVC

1dayiwill
31-12-11, 10:46 AM
Can you put me down for a set please?
Thanks.
Colin.

Lloyd Barnes
31-12-11, 11:43 AM
Can you put me down for a set please?
Thanks.
Colin.

Hi Colin. Unfortunately the group buy is finished and I have no spare sets although a few folks did buy a couple of setsb if you have no joy then I can give you the contact details of who you need to talk to at Superformance to get a set.

427jlc
31-12-11, 05:52 PM
Cheers Steve, saved a fiver on the rheostat switch, looks a good ebay shop as well!!

Do you still have the twin original style radiator fans?? Are you looking to sell them? Lee

dingocooke
03-01-12, 08:52 PM
Hi Lee I have something to bolt onto the back of em now!

427jlc
03-01-12, 11:16 PM
well go on then....................it's a ??????

427jlc
03-01-12, 11:18 PM
just caught up on a couple of threads, No24 ............sweet!!

dingocooke
03-01-12, 11:20 PM
just caught up on a couple of threads, No24 ............sweet!!

...yea, it's good to be back :-D

427jlc
04-01-12, 07:37 PM
Nice one Steve, 'serial cobra buyer' if I remember rightly! Noticed the mention of hubs, I have the Trigo wheels and tyres if you want to borrow a front and a rear for a test fit? I aint going anywhere fast and still in Cheshire. 255's rear, 225's on the front. Don't know if over the next 6 months you want to trial fit at some point, you know the offer is there.
Welcome back! Lee

dingocooke
05-01-12, 07:57 AM
Nice one Steve, 'serial cobra buyer' if I remember rightly! Noticed the mention of hubs, I have the Trigo wheels and tyres if you want to borrow a front and a rear for a test fit? I aint going anywhere fast and still in Cheshire. 255's rear, 225's on the front. Don't know if over the next 6 months you want to trial fit at some point, you know the offer is there.
Welcome back! Lee

Nice one Lee! I have some Vintage wheels 15" HA's on route, I think Ill be going avons, 225 front 245 rear (they dont do a 255) What tyres did you get?

KevinW
04-06-13, 11:15 PM
As a post script, I noticed Holdens now stock plain (no lettering) fluted knobs.......

Knob for Rotary Switches - Plain - Switches from Holden Vintage & Classic (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?pCode=316163)

Purple AK
05-06-13, 09:55 AM
As a post script, I noticed Holdens now stock plain (no lettering) fluted knobs.......

Knob for Rotary Switches - Plain - Switches from Holden Vintage & Classic (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?pCode=316163)

Dearer than the proper bulk buy ones!!

KevinW
05-06-13, 09:57 AM
Dearer than the proper bulk buy ones!!

£16.20 incl VAT .... plus P&P!

KevinW
05-06-13, 10:11 AM
Anorak alert.....but you've got to really want it.......

LUCAS TWO SPEED ROTARY WIPER SWITCH ASTON MARTIN DB2 DB4 XK140 LAMBORGHINI | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-TWO-SPEED-ROTARY-WIPER-SWITCH-ASTON-MARTIN-DB2-DB4-XK140-LAMBORGHINI-/380650901554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a08fd032)

(not exactly correct for MkIII S/Cs, as original cars didnt have the wash function)

louisxiv
05-06-13, 05:06 PM
I'll have a set Lloyd, cheers
sorry got to the front of the thread not the end post, just ignore me:rolleyes:

kdavies3
06-06-13, 05:59 PM
Anorak alert.....but you've got to really want it.......

LUCAS TWO SPEED ROTARY WIPER SWITCH ASTON MARTIN DB2 DB4 XK140 LAMBORGHINI | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-TWO-SPEED-ROTARY-WIPER-SWITCH-ASTON-MARTIN-DB2-DB4-XK140-LAMBORGHINI-/380650901554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a08fd032)

(not exactly correct for MkIII S/Cs, as original cars didnt have the wash function)

OMG! £128 when I looked.

KevinW
07-06-13, 08:08 AM
....like I said, you've really got to want it!

kdavies3
17-07-13, 12:44 PM
I just stumbled across this on Holdens site if anyone is still after some?
Maybe not quite original but OK for most folks i suspect.

Knob for Rotary Switches - Plain - Switches from Holden Vintage & Classic (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=020&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Switches&agCode=0529&agName=Rotary+Switches&pCode=316163)

KevinW
18-07-13, 05:18 PM
Try and keep up old chap - see post 70. ;)
Surely you didnt think the head of the Stazzy Originality Police would have missed that one? :-P

kdavies3
18-07-13, 05:26 PM
Sorry Chap!
get back bleaching your washer bottle.
Why don't you do you teeth while your at it?
Don't swallow the bleach tho'.

Purple AK
04-04-16, 04:48 PM
Got a pair of these "now surplus to requirements" £25 inc postage. Pm me if interested ;-)

tonym
04-04-16, 05:11 PM
Got a pair of these "now surplus to requirements" £25 inc postage. Pm me if interested ;-)

You still here......... :-P:-P:-P:-)

Purple AK
05-04-16, 08:06 AM
You still here......... :-P:-P:-P:-)
Occasionally. (Just so I can keep an eye on you) ;-)

Purple AK
23-04-16, 09:44 AM
Now Sold :D