Anything considered - 289 / 302 - 4 / 5 speed gbox

Preferably with alloy heads and non fuel injected

ideally a complete setup that can be heard running before purchase

thanks
Andrew

Clive
08-09-11, 08:11 PM
Hi Andrew and welcome.
The chances of getting your hands on a 289 is very slim indeed, but a 302 is much easier. What do you need it for? does it have to be over a certain age? What type of gearbox are you after? What is your budget?
I got my 302 from Knight Racing Services who will build one pretty much to your spec. and will guarantee it.
Lastly whereabouts in Tayside are you?
Loads of questions I know, but hopefully it will help you find what you want.
Cheers.

jrv8
08-09-11, 08:52 PM
Andrew,
I may have a 302 with a Getrag gearbox coming in , hopefully in a fews weeks time. The engine is running on a 4 barrel carb ,was rebuilt a few years ago , and is supposed to be a good strong running engine/box.
Would this be of interest to you ?
Regards
Jim
JRV8 - for Rover V8, Chevy V8 (http://www.jrv8.co.uk)

KevinW
08-09-11, 09:18 PM
.... personal recomendation for Jim, Top bloke.

S2TVR
09-09-11, 02:14 PM
Hi, Jim / Clive thanks for the quick responses.

Firstly, I should own up that the engine isn’t actually for a Cobra but for a 1970 TVR Vixen (hopefully this wont get me blackballed from your forum!)

I’ve had the car for a long time and it’s had a few different engines. At the moment its fitted with a modified 2.0 zetec Engine and used mostly for sprints and trackdays.

I’m planning to take the car off the road this winter to give the spaceframe chassis a clean up and paint (which will require the removal of the bodyshell). I thought this would be an ideal time to convert it to 1970 Tuscan spec - which looked the same but were fitted with a 289 Ford engine and a 4 speed Mustang gearbox.

I would rather fit a 302 – am I right in thinking that they’re externally the same as a 289?

I’d also like to keep it as period looking as possible so I could be eligible for classic hillclimbs and sprints, hence the no fuel injection. Technically it should be a four speed box but I doubt if anyone would check. (a modern gearbox would be much better)

Budget wise, I’ve had a look at the used engines for sale on Ebay and the new built ones from British American Engines. I probably cant justify the price of a new engine so was thinking somewhere in between. I’ll have a look at the Knight Racing website too.

Hi Jim, I would be interested. Do you have a spec / idea of price for the engine you’re getting in ?

(Btw - I’m from Coupar Angus, just outside of Perth but I spend most of my time up in Aberdeen)

Cheers
Andrew

sillysod
01-02-12, 08:29 PM
Hi Andrew, Did you eventually get an engine for your project? If not, email me at petercraig07@gmail.com and I'll tell you about mine.
Wanted - Ford small block V8 with manual gearbox

Anything considered - 289 / 302 - 4 / 5 speed gbox

Preferably with alloy heads and non fuel injected

ideally a complete setup that can be heard running before purchase

thanks
Andrew