PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished/Abandoned Pilgrim Sumo Wanted

realyweely
09-09-11, 02:32 PM
Looking for an Abandoned or unfinished Sumo for a friend. With or without engine.

dave
09-09-11, 05:10 PM
Hallmark Cars havs a part built/abandoned one for sale.

Scroll down here:- Cobra Replicas, Kit Cars, for sale at Hallmark Cars (http://www.hallmark-cars.com/vehicles%20sales/cobra_1.html)

jonny m
09-09-11, 08:31 PM
classic sales spiel..A Sumo..."to be worth over £20k when built"....really ?!

Pretty good deal though

Stu J
09-09-11, 09:18 PM
classic sales spiel..A Sumo..."to be worth over £20k when built"....really ?!

Why not? if the build quality was adequate :smile:

craggle
09-09-11, 09:41 PM
£20K for a painted Sumo with a Chevy and Tremec sounds pretty good value really.

Looks like a good way to get started for someone.

Craig.

bloke from stoke
09-09-11, 10:22 PM
Hi all, this prospect got a bit of a hard time on a previous thread earlier in the week. As to why not worth 20K when built, I suspect some of the dosh is knocked off due to some of the problems encountered in the past with build issues and problems like bump steer, wheel rub front or back, panel fit and some of the low quality parts used to complete in the past (none of these issues exist on other kits) and the fact that they get do get a bit of a bashing by some of the owners of other, "superior" makes.

Kind regards Lester (Rover powered Pilgrim Sumo owner, Brill:lol:)

bloke from stoke
09-09-11, 10:24 PM
Hi all, this prospect got a bit of a hard time on a previous thread earlier in the week.

As to why not worth 20K when built, I suspect some of the dosh is knocked off due to some of the problems encountered in the past with build issues and problems like bump steer, wheel rub front or back, panel fit and some of the low quality parts used to complete in the past (none of these issues exist on other kits) and the fact that they get do get a bit of a bashing by some of the owners of other, "superior" makes

Kind regards Lester (Rover powered Pilgrim Sumo owner, Brill:lol:)

KevinW
09-09-11, 10:28 PM
there are 1 or 2 'less than optimal' parts fitted to one or to other makes as well.
the issue is that the sumo usually costs less to build than others, and so re-sale value is lower. simple as that imho.

bloke from stoke
09-09-11, 10:32 PM
Such a good reply I posted twice:rolleyes:, then could not delete it , tried twice, what the feck is going on with this forum tonight, sorry chaps but this and the other error message bowlarks, is doing my feckin box in

Lester

bloke from stoke
09-09-11, 10:44 PM
there are 1 or 2 'less than optimal' parts fitted to one or to other makes as well.
the issue is that the sumo usually costs less to build than others, and so re-sale value is lower. simple as that imho.

Hi Kevin, as I did not buy mine as a kit but built, where is the 5 grand saving compared to Dax, AK, I know AK stuff is all pre fitted body chassis doors boot and bonnet (not sure about Dax) and Pilgrim needs a bit of "special" attention in these areas, thus requiring more build hours to be put in by the builder but is that not off set by the lower kit price of the Pilgrim kit

Kind regards Lester

realyweely
10-09-11, 12:03 AM
Hallmark Cars havs a part built/abandoned one for sale.

Scroll down here:- Cobra Replicas, Kit Cars, for sale at Hallmark Cars (http://www.hallmark-cars.com/vehicles%20sales/cobra_1.html)
Thanks for that Dave, Ive passed it on.

Stu J
10-09-11, 06:50 AM
Each kit has it's own pitfalls, but my point is, if all issues are resolved and the right standard is practiced in the build, then there is no reason why the Sumo can't sell 20k+. I have many ££££ of receipts for my build, and built it to a qualified engineers standard, which was a 1st time sva pass.

IMHO it is better than the next, but the value will always be 'chipped' if compared, unless a new era is born.

Lloyd Barnes
10-09-11, 09:19 AM
We all know that the true quality of any build is far more connected to the build itself than the kit. OK a Sumo (or a Dax for that matter) is never going to be a Kirkham but build quality is critical.

However isn't the issue also partly one of marketing? For many years the Sumo was very deliberately marketed as being the budget option (and nothing wrong with that, its a very viable market sector). Options like the SEV were designed to be the cheapest way possible to get a kit cobra on the road.

Even if the Sumo of today is far removed from that in both actual quality and marketing approach sadly it takes an awful long time to change peoples minds. People pay prices based on their preconceptions of quality regardless of the truth in some cases. Compare Skoda and Audi prices!

jonny m
15-09-11, 08:07 PM
oh bugger, what have I started...no dig meant against a Sumo, but good AK's like Warrens can't sell at £22k - I personally have never seen a Sumo go for over £20k

But as a Sumo owner, I'd like to think one could ?!

Warren
15-09-11, 10:36 PM
Jonny, you're on the money, it could be financial climate but I have never seen a Sumo sell at £20k+.

I can tell anyone that's interested I have had maybe 1 truly interested buyer that did bother to come and look and realised it was out of his budget. I got the impression he was hoping to see some bargaining flaws and couldn't find any for the price. It's what it says on the tin and in the advert. If it was painted and had a proffessionaly put together leather interior I would be wanting a lot more for it.

I'm not anti Sumo, I was going to buy one, went to a show to place my order and the two on display were very poor. It put me off, went to DAX stand and 'they' put me off, went to AK and liked them so did it.

I saw a cracking Sumo down Leicester area, but have seen many other built with one eye on the budget. I really aren't knocking this, I don't have bottomless pockets myself. I've seen Sumo's with better interriors than mine, more attetion to bodywork than mine....but the point I am going to finally arrive at is this:-

A few years ago I was thinking about an engine upgrade, I asked on here for advice and gave the full spec of my existing engine to get an idea of asking price. Remember I had probably spent in the region of £3800-£4200 on it and peeps started to tell me it was second hand and worth the same as a cut out. lol, you do get a bit cynical awfully quickly around here. Had a ride in a car with a 'better specced engine', mine was faster (easily) and my engine cost about £2K less, didn't have the heart to tell him!

Where's Coventry again?

W

nealgs
17-09-11, 10:57 AM
there's one on ebay here : AC Cobra Kit car, Collectors car, Unfinished Project, Pilgrim Sumo 427 V8 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Cobra-Kit-car-Collectors-car-Unfinished-Project-Pilgrim-Sumo-427-V8-/120775430454?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1ec6d136)

may suit

Gary

KevinW
19-09-11, 05:28 PM
there's one on ebay here : AC Cobra Kit car, Collectors car, Unfinished Project, Pilgrim Sumo 427 V8 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Cobra-Kit-car-Collectors-car-Unfinished-Project-Pilgrim-Sumo-427-V8-/120775430454?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1ec6d136)

may suit

Gary

neeed inspecting, but if the recon on the axles is OK, and the engine seems ok, it might be worth a punt.
check the date of the wiring loom. If its an old one, just get anew one from premier wiring and save youself a LOT of hassle.
is that an eddy intake and a 4 barrel carb?

You will also need (with guestimated costs)

carpet £400
windscreen £500
seats £600
dash and door panels + copvering £200
wheels/tyres £2000
sidepipes and manifolds £1500
paint (its a mess atm) £2000
engine bling/go faster gear/ g/box recon contingency fund £500-£1000

so at least £8-9k on top, and then.......... heres one I made earlier......

realyweely
21-09-11, 02:25 PM
My friend actually made an offer on that but the seller said he already had a bid for £5k but was expecting far more than that !
It was also a MKII