PDA

View Full Version : No. 55 here we go !!

v8pete
23-10-11, 09:56 PM
Hi all - well, after many months of dillying about, I popped up to see John Kerr again yesterday, this time armed with my chequebook, and placed my order for chassis no. 55! It's always a real pleasure spending an hour or two with John in his workshop. On this occasion I owe him special thanks as when I managed to lock the car keys inside my Audi, John made up a handy little rod with a hook on the end that managed to save the day! I'm now off to try it on a few other Audi's to see if I can make some extra cash for the rest of the build ;)

All the best!
Pete

alex
23-10-11, 10:07 PM
Congratulations! You've made the right decision, wonderful piece of engineering. In fact might have to go and have another look at mine now :)

Have you decided what engine yet?

Ian 46
23-10-11, 10:13 PM
Congratulations Pete.

According to popular myth they are supposed to build themselves you know.

Where abouts are you?

Cheer Ian

v8pete
23-10-11, 10:19 PM
Hi Alex - many thanks! Yes, when you first see those 4 inch chassis rails, you're pretty much sold on a Crendon - the quality of design and John's workmanship just knocks you out. My current plan is 351C, but John was kind enough to let me "defer" the final decision, and that of which exhaust system too, until we're closer to cutting the metal. As (I think) you're going Cleveland too, what were the major factors for you regards engine choice?

BTW, those pics of #52 in your garage certainly helped make up my mind :)

Cobra Rob
23-10-11, 10:22 PM
Congrats and good luck with the build, enjoy :)

v8pete
23-10-11, 10:25 PM
Thanks Ian! Yep, I'm down on the south coast in Dorset - don't think that there are too many other "Crendonista" around these parts :)

v8pete
23-10-11, 10:26 PM
Cheers Rob!

v8pete
23-10-11, 10:43 PM
Also, I must say very many thanks to Kevin W. for sharing his general cobra and Crendon wisdom with me over the last few months, and taking the time to show me and Aaron around his current build. BTW Kev, I did try to PM you to spread the good news, but your inbox is full ...sort it out, there's a good chap ;)

alex
23-10-11, 10:44 PM
Hi Pete, I built a 351c for my last car which was a Dax. I just love everything about them, but I guess my familiarity with them was a factor in using one again.
There is huge performance potential in them and there are now a good aftermarket selection of performance parts for them compared to a few yrs ago. It's a good looking engine and they sound fantastic. It's physically big for a 351 and fills the engine bay nicely. I know one of Johns reasons for trying to sway people for an FE is the weight distribution in the car, but I'm pretty sure a 351c with factory iron heads must weigh very similar to an FE with Alloy heads.

I am also building this engine myself though which is one of the aspects of the build I enjoy the most.

The whole structure of the Crendon looks so much more rigid and stronger and better engineered than my old car which is very satisfying. Not forgetting
I wanted a more authentic looking car this time round.

Glad I helped push you in the right direction :D

aaronjb
23-10-11, 11:02 PM
Also, I must say very many thanks to Kevin W. for sharing his general cobra and Crendon wisdom with me over the last few months, and taking the time to show me and Aaron around his current build. BTW Kev, I did try to PM you to spread the good news, but your inbox is full ...sort it out, there's a good chap ;)

So you're one of the reasons the lead times for a Crendon shot up to geological scales.. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes his time deciding things though ;)

Lloyd Barnes
23-10-11, 11:29 PM
Hi Pete

now I know what the knobs were for!!! Congrats on joining the Crendon club (Mine is no 54 which at the moment consists of a pile of tubes on Johns workshop floor.).

Know what you mean about being sold on one after seeing a chassis in JK's place. Lovely bits of kit. Good luck with the build and probably see you in Johns place at some point!! :-D

wilf
24-10-11, 08:27 AM
Congratulations Pete, you know it makes sense.

Now the waiting............ :sad:

legend
24-10-11, 09:38 AM
Congrats Pete, there are two Crendon's in Dorset AFAIK, Peter Lappin has a Cleveland in his & Ian Barrow is mid build with an FE.

All the best Tony.

KevinW
24-10-11, 06:09 PM
So you're one of the reasons the lead times for a Crendon shot up to geological scales.. :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes his time deciding things though ;)

... and here starteth the first of many ....

'TOLJASO, TOLJASO........' :-) :-P

.... and well done Pete - will get back to you shortly.

aaronjb
24-10-11, 06:19 PM
... and here starteth the first of many ....

'TOLJASO, TOLJASO........' :-) :-P

*mutters* No more candle-lit dinners for two for you! :razz:

dingocooke
24-10-11, 06:44 PM
Nice one Pete, congratulations, and nothing wrong with a 351C either, probably more of those in a Crendon than any other motor and boy can they rev!!

Personally I have always fancied a pair of the aussie AFD heads, must be 100lbs or more saving in weight compared to the iron lumps too, and the exchange rate if you buy direct is quite good.

Im sure you'll love the Crendon, proper bit of kit, with so much 'presence' ; just standing looking at one in your garage on a cold winter night is good enough for me

Enjoy!!

Clarkson
24-10-11, 10:24 PM
Nice, just looking at his website.

What's the lead time??

Lloyd Barnes
25-10-11, 08:32 AM
Think Johns making approx 2 cars a year. There are two chassis on order at the moment.

aaronjb
25-10-11, 10:13 AM
A certain someone intimated to me that the lead time might be 18-24mth at the moment; although knowing this certain someone, that might be to put me off getting a Crendon in case I put those seats in it.. ;) :lol:

Lloyd Barnes
25-10-11, 10:18 AM
at least 36 months in your case Aaron!! :-D

However if someone were to go and see John and talk about lovely black original seats I suspect it would be more like 6 months? Not sure what Pete's ordered but mines a chassis rather than the body/chassis rolling package, so won't take long to clear through.

aaronjb
25-10-11, 11:21 AM
at least 36 months in your case Aaron!! :-D

It's going up! :lol:

wilf
25-10-11, 12:38 PM
Of course, you could always buy one pre-built............... ;)

ChunkyMunkey
25-10-11, 02:59 PM
Good luck with the build & you will not be disappointed with the quality.

Bought mine 2nd hand & I have no regrets :smile:

Hi all - well, after many months of dillying about, I popped up to see John Kerr again yesterday, this time armed with my chequebook, and placed my order for chassis no. 55! It's always a real pleasure spending an hour or two with John in his workshop. On this occasion I owe him special thanks as when I managed to lock the car keys inside my Audi, John made up a handy little rod with a hook on the end that managed to save the day! I'm now off to try it on a few other Audi's to see if I can make some extra cash for the rest of the build ;)

All the best!
Pete

v8pete
25-10-11, 11:15 PM
Cheers guys! Sorry for not replying earlier, but 'tiniernet has been a bit hit&miss as we've been staying in Devon for a couple of days whilst its half term hols. Yep, I've spent an absolulte age looking at all the options, and in the end the Crendon was the only one that ticks all of the right boxes for me. Still can't quite make up my mind between underslungs and side pipes - any extra advice appreciated! , but I think that I'm still leaning towards a Cleveland, and as Alex mentions, I think it would be nice to try and have a good bit of input into the engine build myself - something which I wouldn't be too confident about with an FE. Also, I've got a bunch of work colleagues in Australia, so I don't know whether this might help when it comes to obtaining a few Cleveland performance parts (eg. AFD heads!).

Finally I should apologise to Aaron for adding a bit of extra delay to the Crendon order book - SO GET IN THERE THIS INSTANT AND ORDER YOURS TOO AARON, because as Wilf says, you know you want to !!!!! - but just spare us from those Yellow seats !!

Pete

alex
25-10-11, 11:20 PM
Pete,

Have a look at the Trickflow Cleveland heads, great reports about them and much cheaper than AFD or CHI even at current exchange rates, Summit sell them.

v8pete
26-10-11, 10:56 PM
Thanks Alex, will do. I'll be very interested in how you get on with your Cleveland build, and details of the parts & machining etc. as it starts to come together!

Neil O
27-10-11, 03:15 AM
Pete, I am in East Devon if you are in the area, let me know.
You are welcome to pop in and have a butchers...

As for engine choice, two words, big block. ;)

aaronjb
27-10-11, 10:15 AM
As for engine choice, two words, big block. ;)

Go big or go home? ;)

v8pete
27-10-11, 11:01 PM
Cheers Neil - I'd love to come and have a look some time!

Aaron, put those seats on Ebay & come and join the "Crendonista" - that big block will be wasted in anything less ;)

aaronjb
27-10-11, 11:58 PM
I'm quite attached to those seats.. though I've got quite used to them sitting in the lounge now :lol: but I don't think my 'vision' (blurry and boss eyed as it is, I'm sure Kevin would argue ;)) quite fits with the Crendon, somehow..

wilf
28-10-11, 08:07 AM
Thank the deity for that. I was worried that you might actually defile a Crendon.......... ;)

v8pete
28-10-11, 10:01 PM
Thank the deity for that. I was worried that you might actually defile a Crendon.......... ;)

:) :)

Good luck Aaron with whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll end up with a very nice Cob - and we might even still speak to you ;)

BTW Kev, if you're still reading this thread, your inbox is full again !

KevinW
29-10-11, 02:07 AM
Pete, its unblocked now.

Lloyd - here you go
crendon firewall: lucas wiring and 427 puke tank - Cobra Club Gallery (http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7208/title/crendon-firewall-3a-lucas-wiring-and-427-puke-tank/cat/500)

Lloyd Barnes
29-10-11, 11:29 AM
Lloyd - here you go
crendon firewall: lucas wiring and 427 puke tank - Cobra Club Gallery (http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7208/title/crendon-firewall-3a-lucas-wiring-and-427-puke-tank/cat/500)

Cheers Kev, looks good. Where did you get the puke tank?

KevinW
29-10-11, 01:39 PM
hawk, and it werent cheap :(
if i was doing it again i not sure id bother.