PDA

View Full Version : BUDGET GRP ROOF/S FOR SALE (Sumo Mk3)

jonny m
30-10-11, 09:27 PM
Gents, as of tomorrow I'm SORN'd and the roof is now available to go to the GRP moulders.

(My delay was not wanting to bugger up the roof and paint when they splash the mould, plus I think I can get the O/S fit a bit better still)

The cost of prepping the existing roof and fabricating the mould and carriage is about a grand and a half.

The cost of each roof will then initially be about £450....plus, each persons share of the mould.

Simple numbers, if 10 people want a cheap roof; that's £150 each + £450 for the roof = £600 each.

To all those who have shown interest...it's yes or no time please ?!

If you are a 'yes' - I'd need the deposit for the money up front.

Jon

Purple AK
30-10-11, 09:54 PM
How much is Dave Brookes getting out of this? The original splash was from one of his roofs after all!

Ian C
30-10-11, 10:00 PM

Jon,

You have PM

dave
30-10-11, 11:07 PM
How much is Dave Brookes getting out of this? The original splash was from one of his roofs after all!

More milk Tigger?

This roof falls into the "Different enough not to bother me catagory."
It's only the Fastback type tops that have spawned from mine that I have a problem with.

realyweely
31-10-11, 12:21 PM
He's a nice man.
A very very nice man.

Ian C
31-10-11, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=jonny m;414052]

Jon,

Can you confirm that the deposit you require is the £150 for the mould preparation?

If so I can transfer the money as soon as you let me have your bank details via a PM.

Having seen the response to you first post back in August, asking for interest, and the number of views it has had since I assume you will have a bit of a stampede!

From my perspective the addition of a hard top adds so much to the car from improved aerodynamics for track days to all weather use & preservation of passenger hair styles when motoring through the country side. The “Dave Brookes Top” (which receives so much entirely justified praise as a superb piece of automotive engineering) would be a contender but my budget just could not stretch that far. So the opportunity that you have given me, and others, to obtain a good looking bespoke hard top for the Sumo Mklll is far too good to miss.

I am happy to send the deposit now on the basis that, in the unlikely event you don’t get at least nine others, it is returnable – would this be OK.

Best of luck, and thank you.

jonny m
31-10-11, 10:36 PM
The £150 is just a portion of the upfront costs, the balance of £450 will become payable when you have the money and are ready for your roof to be delivered.

If like me you'd struggle to hive of six hundred quid just before Christmas, then this way allows people to split the cost.

But to be clear, I need the commitment and deposit of enough people to make this viable. If only a few people say yes, its just not worth doing, as either I will lose out, or the roof becomes too expensive - and for the greater cost it would end up, people would be better of going for a Dave Brooks roof.

This is a budget option with a price to match. As I found out, as each body is a bit different, it may need a trim here and there, and maybe even a change to the screen angle - all part of the kit car building experience, and nothing drastic.

I have two yes's, and one maybe so far - time to commit please folks if you want yourself a cheap roof to keep warm over winter !!!

jonny m
31-10-11, 10:40 PM
I am happy to send the deposit now on the basis that, in the unlikely event you don’t get at least nine others, it is returnable – would this be OK.

I'm doing this as a favour to those who have helped me out and for other club members; it can only go ahead if enough people say yes - only if enough people post a 'yes' will I then ask for the deposits, ie no payments wanted yet (if too many back down, then any deposits paid would be refunded straight away and the deal's off)

Jon

Todd
08-11-11, 08:18 PM
Jon,

Put me down for one, confirm when you require a deposit.

Adrian

steve_h
08-11-11, 09:04 PM
yes please tell me when for deposit, would it be with rear window glass/perspex?

Steve

Ian C
09-11-11, 08:40 AM
MUST be getting close now Jon, I am sure if more people were aware there would be a bigger response. Question is how to spread the word - is there such a thing as a Sumo Mklll register?

Ian

jonny m
09-11-11, 09:41 AM
Sorry Ian, only 3 and a half so far: Shame, as I expect this will be the cheapest chance of getting a Sumo roof.

I'm working on engine bits at the moment, so even if it takes until February, we should still be ok to get the mould and first roofs made before spring.

For once time is on our side; I just hope people who say yes now are prepared to wait ?!

Ian C
09-11-11, 11:50 AM
Jon,

Who wants half a hard top! - are they going for a Targa top look?

Is there anyway to make this thread a "sticky" so that the offer is visible to new members & those who do not visit frequently? How abouta write up in "Snake Torque" for the non-cyber members?

You will, of course, realise that this is purely self interest as I WANT a hard top and this is the best opportunity I will get with blowing my budget.

Good luck,
Ian

jonny m
07-12-11, 08:11 PM
Not looking good Ian...

On a plus side, I'm not in a hurry as the car is laid up over winter

I'll leave the post open til spring and see if anymore are interested

Jon

Ian C
09-12-11, 11:08 AM
Ah well, at least the family can have some Christmas presents now. I'l lstart saving up again in the New Year, can't believe that there will not be enough takers by then!

Have a good Christmas,
Ian

parragonlee
30-08-12, 09:09 AM
Good day Johny

Is this something you would still consider doing with this year’s summer I would expect a few more takers

Cheers

Andy

jonny m
30-08-12, 08:56 PM
I've not sprayed the roof yet, so could still get a mould, but considering the past lack of people putting their hand in pockets, I doubt we could get enough people to commit.

Ian C
31-08-12, 06:59 AM
Jonny,

I am still interested, count me in if you decide to go ahead.

Ian

jonny m
31-08-12, 07:14 AM
To be fair Ian, you stood out as one of those willing to pay the deposit.

I'm not planning on painting for a while, so who knows....

Ian C
04-09-12, 11:20 AM
To be fair Ian, you stood out as one of those willing to pay the deposit. . . . .

Jonny,

Still willing!, the "summer" weather should surely have increased the number of takers to get the project started. Is it worth re-activating the offer?

Ian

Ian C
19-09-12, 06:23 PM
Jonny,

There is another Sumo owner expressing interest in the hardtop. Loco (sorry, don’t know real name) started a thread about the hood bows for a soft top which somehow ended up promoting hardtops and your’s in particular.

Are we nearly there yet??????

Ian

jonny m
20-09-12, 01:22 PM
Sorry Ian, nothing of any significance, and only you I recall willing to part with cash.

Not looking likely now, as I've just bought myself a compressor, and going to give the roof a slap of paint over the next few weeks so will no longer be able to get a mould.

parragonlee
20-09-12, 01:36 PM
Shame Id also be interested no other takers

Ian C
20-09-12, 07:29 PM
. . . . Not looking likely now, as I've just bought myself a compressor, and going to give the roof a slap of paint over the next few weeks so will no longer be able to get a mould.

Jonny,

Great shame, still find it hard to believe that there was not more takers. Hope the roof proves to be of as much a benefit to you as it looks, good job.

Ian

chinaman
24-09-12, 03:28 PM
Hi, I am interested in the hardtop for mk3.

victor

Ian C
24-09-12, 06:45 PM
Hi, I am interested in the hardtop for mk3.

Jonny,

Are we there yet?????

Ian

jonny m
07-10-12, 09:37 PM
Bloody hell, taken me all weekend to get the final fitment, filling, sanding and priming.

I can now appreciate why the paint jobs cost so much with so much prep involved !!

Fingers crossed I'll get some proper paint on it before weekends Cholmondley meet!

david hemmings
08-10-12, 02:37 PM
Hi would this roof be suitable for modding to fit a dax , or is the shape miles diferent ? Thanks

chinaman
09-10-12, 05:47 PM
Hi, It is a 'YES' for me give me your bank detail when ou are ready.

Thank you

jonny m
12-10-12, 08:11 PM
Too late sorry guys, I left it almost a year, but only got a few people to commit to a payment upfront to fund the mould.

We really needed 8+ to justify me sacrificing my own lid

Last coat of clear coat went on this afternoon, cut & buff due tomorrow

Jon

Ian C
13-10-12, 02:09 PM
Last coat of clear coat went on this afternoon, cut & buff due tomorrow

Jonny,

Post up some pictures when it is done so we can see what we missed.

Ian

jonny m
15-10-12, 01:16 PM

As requested...

jonny m
15-10-12, 01:35 PM

As requested...

Ian C
15-10-12, 02:39 PM
Jonny,

Wish I hadn’t asked – it looks excellent! I have a couple of queries (in the hopeful anticipation of following in your footsteps at sometime in the future) if you have time.

How is the hardtop fixed to the body at the rear?

Do the side screens open with the door and, if so, how are they located to the roof and windscreen when closed?

Do the vents in the hood function and were you tempted to extend them and put small windows in?

The paint job looks good and the car looks superb, congratulations.

Ian

PS Always meant to ask, do you live anywhere near the old AVRO Chadderton factory where they built the Lancaster & Vulcan aircraft?

jonny m
15-10-12, 06:11 PM
Cheers Ian, I know some aren't keen as its not a 'proper' Cobra with a lid on, but it does make it so much more useable:

How is the hardtop fixed to the body at the rear?

Two ways, I GRP'd two hoops inside then use web & wratchet straps to fix to roll hoops

Plus, I drilled out two M16 bolts with an M8 thread; then bolt the rear internal flange down - worth remembering as I just got lucky of the positioning -
same as the soft top lift a dot pins, had it been 5mm either way it would have looked a mess. Worth knowing before you drill

Do the side screens open with the door and, if so, how are they located to the roof and windscreen when closed?

Not yet, they just tension bolt to the wind wing hinges, so open by hand - polo bonnet gas struts are used by others to automate

Do the vents in the hood function and were you tempted to extend them and put small windows in?

I resisted cutting these as the mould was nice and didn't want to botch. It does get hot though, so may cut aero style vent in the side Perspex (TBA)

The paint job looks good and the car looks superb, congratulations.

Thanks, but clear coat isn't great; needed an icocyatate coat really, but didn't have th right breathing gear, so had to settle for acrylic.
On the basis the lid is for rain use only, it'll do til I can afford a proper coat.

Ian

PS Always meant to ask, do you live anywhere near the old AVRO Chadderton factory where they built the Lancaster & Vulcan aircraft?

Yes: always lived around here, we're about a mile away from what is/was BAE these days, but that's sadly running down too.

Ian C
15-10-12, 07:23 PM
Jonny,

I rather have a useable “Cobra” than a “proper Cobra” any day.

. . . .Plus, I drilled out two M16 bolts with an M8 thread; then bolt the rear internal flange down - worth remembering as I just got lucky of the positioning - same as the soft top lift a dot pins, had it been 5mm either way it would have looked a mess. Worth knowing before you drill

Don’t quite understand the rear fixing bit – any chance of pictures or more information.

Thanks again,
Ian

jonny m
16-10-12, 12:18 PM
Hard to get a picture as now fitted.

Imagine an M16 bolt in a lathe; round the head, then machine the head until it is about 2mm think - this sits on the top of the body work

The M16 thread then goes through, with an M16 nut to grip underneath (tip - use a rubber o-ring on the underside - I overtightened and creased the paint at the edge)

The bolt, while in the lathe is then drilled through it's centre line, and tapped M8 - this is the internal thread that allows a bolt to go through the lip of the roof, to bolt to the body work.

Send me a PM with a normal email addresss, and I'll try to send you some better pictures - just DO NOT drill your lift a dot points until you kow where the roof sits !!

Ian C
16-10-12, 12:28 PM
Send me a PM with a normal email addresss, and I'll try to send you some better pictures

Jonny,

Think I have got it now but pictures would be great, PM sent - many thanks.

Ian

dave
16-10-12, 02:25 PM
If the fixings are anything like mine then they will look like this.
(This one is an M10 outer thread with an M6 inner thread)

Ian C
16-10-12, 03:22 PM
If the fixings are anything like mine then they will look like this.
(This one is an M10 outer thread with an M6 inner thread)]

Dave,

Many thanks - words, thousand, worth & picture come to mind

Ian

wvellis
17-10-12, 08:55 PM
Hi, also interested in hardtop for MK3 Sumo. DB Replica's are great but very expensive. Pilgrim in my opinion not very pleasing.

Any comments welcome.

Crimson Sumo

jonny m
18-10-12, 08:23 AM
If the fixings are anything like mine.....)

Yes, but your's look nicer and shinier !

Hi, also interested in hardtop for MK3 Sumo.

Sorry pal, loads were interested, but few would actually pay up front, so the door's closed now as mine is finished and painted

Jon