PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Alternator Connections

callum
11-12-01, 08:03 PM
This looks like the standard GM alternator with an internal regulator in which case, with the two sockets uppermost, the left hand (red?) wire is to energise the alternator and goes to the battery stud while the right hand fitting is to the charging light. The battery feed from the stud is often made in heavy guage cable (not wire) to the stud on the starter motor to which the battery feed is attached. Note, the energiser feed is best fused with an in-line fuse of 5 amps or so. If in doubt you local mobile auto electrician will crack this in minutes.:7

normanh
11-12-01, 08:18 PM
Hi Callum,

Many thanks for your reply.....

Your connectins are right, I found someone who converted a lucas fitted to a triumph spitfire x( to a chevy (AC Delco). Only found this web site today !....typical isnt it you spend hours looing for the info then change one word in the search box an voila! :+ all the answers you need ! :)

On the alternator, the 'energiser feed' doesnt have a fuse in it....I'll take your advice and fit one just in case of probs.

Thanks again ! }>

Joker
17-12-01, 07:37 AM
Hi everybody, I have followed the a.m. comments with interest (even read the Triumph homepage) but there is still one question:
Is it true that the No.2 male connection of the alternator is feeded through a single loop from the battery-terminal ?
The big terminal is clear (battery + from the starter solenoid), No.1 male is clear (ignition light) but how did you route No.2 ?

thanks Joker

Mike
04-04-02, 06:45 PM
Joker,

Did you get an answer to the routing for the no 2 male connection. If so please tell.

Mike

wilf
04-04-02, 10:37 PM
Sorry guys - only just picked up on Jokers last question. The feed to the "energising" connection can be looped across from the "Battery" connection, with an inline 5A fuse. That's how mine works anyway. Further thought tells me that this would mean the exciting circuit is permanently energised, even when the engine is switched off, unless you have a battery cut out switch, so maybe the feed should come from a source switched by the ignition?? Other views here would be of interest.

Wilf

normanh
05-04-02, 07:42 AM
HI Wilf,

I connected the whole thing up, number 2 to the batt terminal, and it works fine. Don't think the activator circuit is working until it get above a certain threshold. I cannot measure any noticable drain on the battery when the engine is stopped, but once it starts at very low revs the alternator does nothing, but a quick blip and the charging begins. It seem to be once you rev the alternator a bit ~1000rpm it starts to do its thing. Once charging has started it stays on.

My connection from No2 actually had the eyelet crimp on it to connect directly to the Batt term!

Just my 2p
Norm

wilf
05-04-02, 01:37 PM
Norm - you beat me to it, I was going to attack the thing with an AVO this weekend to see just what goes on. Thanks

WIlf

Stefan
05-04-02, 03:54 PM
For what it's worth, my feed is connected to the positive feeding the ignition coil, ie only on when ignition is on. Does your charging light not stay on with the ignition key off if you feed the exciter circuitry direct from the battery?

normanh
05-04-02, 04:02 PM
not that I'd noticed Stefan. I think the activator circuit controls it, and when the act circuit is off (ie no rotation at all) the light is off.... I'll check it out and get back to ya!

Stefan
05-04-02, 05:02 PM
Remind me to think first next time.... It wouldn't if the light is wired into a switched positive - duh.

BTW, my ign light stays on until the engine hits 1000rpm first time, thereby confirming what you said below.

normanh
07-11-02, 09:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm just finalising the engine bay connections and would like to know if anyone can tell me the connections from the chevy alternator. The battery connection is clearly marked BAT - even I found that !:9

There is a plug and socket on the top face, with two wires coming from it. One black and one red. The red wire has a ring connector on its end with a large wire also in the crimp, although this has been cut off short. I assume this goes to the BAT terminal as well ? that leaves the black wire....is this the signal to the IGN light ? or have I got it all a**e about face :-)

I have attached a picture of the rear connections and any markings on it

Thanks in advance

NuttyNorm