PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got?

realyweely
20-11-11, 12:58 PM
Has anyone got an old Ford steering rack, as I am short of one lock nut on the drivers side of my Sumo steering rack.

craggle
20-11-11, 04:20 PM
Must be able to buy a nut on it's own?
Can you measure the diameter across the top of the threads, Maybe we can work out what thread it is and get you a nut to fit. :-)

Craig.

realyweely
20-11-11, 04:23 PM
I went through my nut box and couldnt find one to fit. Ill have a chase in the morning
I just wondered if anyone had an old steering rack laying around.
Couldnt believe it when I saw there was no locknut on one side.

craggle
20-11-11, 04:33 PM
Hmmm, Could be an unusual thread like an M14 or something if you couldn't find anything to fit.

Must be someone out there though with a steering rack in the shed but if not, I'm sure we can work out what thread it is.

Craig.

Purple AK
20-11-11, 04:54 PM
Limited research says it's 14mm x 2.0 which is probably why you haven't got on in your nut box. Supprised it passed an Mot like that!!!!!

realyweely
20-11-11, 05:20 PM
Yes it surprised me, Theres a few things that have made me wonder about the MOT.
Im only now having a serious check over it after doing the Hydraulic clutch. Checked out the front wheels and camber yesterday.
Drivers side had a good inch of the top ball joint poking through the wishbone whilst the passenger side had the prescribed 2 threads. Sorted that out and thats when I noticed the missing locknut.
Going to be drilling a new bottom holes for the rear trailing arms this week (If I can find my center punch !)

craggle
20-11-11, 05:56 PM
I too found some evidence that they are M14 with a 2.0mm thread pitch. Ford P100 steering rack I assume?

If you do a search on ebay for "M14 nut" quite a few matches come up for only a few quid, Just make sure they have the 2mm pitch as 1.5mm pitch is also an option.

Craig.

robcob
20-11-11, 06:43 PM
Has anyone got an old Ford steering rack, as I am short of one lock nut on the drivers side of my Sumo steering rack.

I might have one.......will have a dig around in the garage tomorrow and get back to you.

Rob

Purple AK
20-11-11, 07:54 PM
M14 course halfnuts are 44p each from Namrick Namrick Limited Metric Nuts (http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Metric_Nuts.html)
If you get stuck I'll go get one/some for you.

realyweely
21-11-11, 07:27 AM
I found some that I think will do the job on Ebay, 6 for £2.49 so if they fit I'll have a reserve if anyone else runs short.