PDA

View Full Version : possible pilgrim cobra scam

PGeorge
02-04-12, 06:44 PM
Hi guys
I saw this AC Cobra | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180855342774) advertised on ebay today and figured at that price it was worth a look, emailed the seller and carried on looking, lower down on the same search was an identical photo leading to a similar advert but at the bottom stated the cheeper car was a scam advert - i contacted that seller and was informed that the car sold today for 87500 or so.
Thought anyone looking for a cob should have a heads up and this would be the most likely place they'd look.
If a mod feels this should be also/only be posted in general or somewhere else please feel free!

PGeorge
02-04-12, 06:49 PM
silly me price was 8750 not 87500, need new fingers i think!

PGeorge
02-04-12, 07:27 PM
just for completeness heres the legit item number
as you can see theres more photos and details on this ad so the other ad was just a few lifted photos most probably. seeing as theres no method of payment on the other ad it makes me wonder what he was getting out of it!
wonder if ebay will remove it?

richard8166
03-04-12, 09:06 AM
Thanks for this, I'd asked the "seller" from the dodgy ad some questions that were ignored, I was just offered some more photos instead, all via ebay. It was starting to sound very dodgy, so I was going to give it a miss anyway... I can't work out what the dodgy ad is trying to achieve either, I'd better keep an eye on my ebay account for a while just in case.
I don't know how I missed the original on ebay, it just didn't come up in my searches, and I had been looking a few days ago...

kdavies3
03-04-12, 09:19 AM
Sometimes it's as simple as taking your deposit and just disappearing.

PGeorge
03-04-12, 10:33 AM
In my original contact I asked a number of questions, the reply from him today answered none of them but asked me for my email address if i want more pictures and details, obviously he wont get that but I think Ill ask for a picture of him holding the V5 infront of the car :p! Cant beleve Ebay still has it listed!

Andycob
03-05-12, 06:26 PM
Hi I purchased the car in question it has turned out to be a very cheap car , please look at the photo,s I have posted on gallery , just needed tlc now looks and drives superb , I have since found that it was the show car on the pilgrim stand in 2008 at stoneliegh kit car show ,

dave
03-05-12, 06:41 PM
Definitly a case of "He who dares wins".
Good result Andycob.

PGeorge
04-05-12, 09:51 AM
Hardly he who dares wins, andycob bought the car in the real advert and if I had got there in time I'd probably have bought it too at that price, the other advert that I was bringing attention to was a scam, if I'd dared I think I might have lost! ;)

dave
04-05-12, 11:23 AM
Hardly he who dares wins, andycob bought the car in the real advert and if I had got there in time I'd probably have bought it too at that price, the other advert that I was bringing attention to was a scam, if I'd dared I think I might have lost! ;)

That'll teach me for not reading the thread properly.
Good call, and thanks for bringing me up to speed.
Sorry about that PGeorge.

jonny m
04-05-12, 11:49 AM
That's a great price to pay - well done !