PDA

View Full Version : GD Cobra for sale

ldtopham
03-04-12, 07:59 PM
Well, I've slept on whether I should sell or not over the winter and I still feel the same way. I just do not have the time to use it, need the space and it is too good a car to just sit there looking pretty. So it's up for sale again. The car will be at Stoneleigh Kitcar Show on the Monday if anyone is going with a view to looking at Cobras for sale.

Here is a copy of my original ad from last year.

This car was built over the period of seven years with no detail spared.
It was built with a 'nod and a wink' to the period look of the 60's car and is often commented on by passers by and enthusiasts alike as a car that looks 'just right'.
It has been both magazine featured - Complete Kit Car May 2008, selected to represent GD Sports Cars at Stoneleigh 2008 on the GD show stand and chosen as a poster advertisement car by GD themselves.

This car drives rattle free, no pulling, no scuttle shake, no bump steer. It is every bit as comfortable and reliable as modern sports car and very well engineered. Since hitting the road in 2007 it has been 100% reliable and trouble free. When asked how it is to drive I often compare it to my day to day car (German engineered) but with a more tuneful engine note and a 'little' nippier', it really is that nice to drive.

A quick spec list follows:

Correctly registered as a Gardner Douglas 427 Cobra
SVA passed first time 21st November 2007
Correct V5 documentation - SVA date shows as above, date of first registration shows 1st August 1982 Approx 3750miles at tim/*963.e of advert
Valid road TAX and MOT
- GD spaceframe chassis - New at time of build
- Narrowed Jaguar rear axle (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=rear+axle) - All bearings, seals, bushes, UJ's etc new at time of build
- 3.31:1 de-rated fully rebuilt Power Lock Differential to enhance cornering stability
- Balanced heavy duty drive shafts fitted - All new at time of build
- Balanced heavy duty prop shaft - balanced - All new at time of build
- Uprated brake discs and brake pads EBC all round - All new at time of build
- Aluminium fully adjustable Protech dampers - New at time of build
- Full suspension set up by GD factory
- Stainless steel fuel tank (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=fuel+tank) - New at time of build
- -6 Aeroquip stainless overbraid PTFE fuel hoses
- Mechanical fuel pump
- Aeromotive fuel regulator 6 PSI
- -3 Aeroquip stainless overbraid PTFE brake line flexis
- Tremec TKO600R 5 speed quick shift gearbox - New at time of build
- Hydraulic billet clutch slave cylinder
- -4 Aeroquip stainless PTFE clutch hose (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=clutch+hose)
- SFI Steel billet flywheel
- Multi fingered high performance clutch pressure plate and friction plate - Nice and easy to use
- Aluminium bellhousing

Engine: FORD Cleveland V8 fully rebuilt. No emmision tests required due to the original block age of 1972.

The Ford Cleveland is described by many as one of the best sounding small block V8's. It is often described as sounding much like a big block, added to the sound it has a high performance pedigree as it was the engine that Ford Racing (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=ford+racing) planned their future on back in the late 60's. Unfortunately the USA fuel crisis of the early 70's soon put an end to production car use and therfore Racing development. It soon became the choice engine of privateer racers of the time and is still popular today. All parts are still available (not that it needs anything!) and it has a huge following especially in Australia where it was continued in manufacture up to the mid eighties.

Built on a 1972 engine block it has been align checked, crack tested, square decked and bored using the latest CNC machinery. Cylinder roughness, deck surface finish printouts and balance sheets included.
- EDA dyno proven 430hp@5100rpm and 440lbft@5100rpm Printouts and video available.
- Fully blueprinted and documented re-build
- Full digital 'Hines' balance
- Forged pistons
- Aluminium CNC Trick Flow chamber heads
- Aluminium full roller rockers 1.73:1
- Complete Comp Cam valve train, 274XE cam and associated components. Hydraulic cam for ease of maintenance
- Heavy duty oil pump drive
- Double roller cam chain
- Edelbrock Air Gap dual plane manifold
- Vac secondary Holley 750 carburettor
- Baffled winged sump, windage tray and scraper.
- Full MSD ignition (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=msd+ignition) system with soft control rev limiter (6000rpm)
The list for the engine spec goes on and on. It is in my opinion just about the right amount of power for this type of car. They say 'too much is never enough' but this engine along with the rest of the build has been well thought out to make the car very use-able and not just focused on power.
It will sit in traffic all day long without issue, the clutch is easy to operate and it will happily crawl along around 1000rpm without the jerkiness of an over cammed engine.
It has a nice lopey idle that hints at the performance available but will pull away from idle (850rpm)
with ease. The chassis design, set up and chosen tyres ensure that the traction is there to match the engine performance.

More spec'.....

- Twin PACET fans on an electronic adjustable fan temp controller
- GD factory radiator
- The exhaust system (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=exhaust+system) is full stainless steel and was the first MK4 GD to adorn period style sidepipes
- GD MK4 gel coat finish fibreglass monocoque body shell
- Period lights front and rear
- Stainless quick lifts front and rear
- All exterior brackets are made from stainless steel as are the fixings
- Glass windwings
- Stainless steel period style roll hoop
- Period style Mota Lita wood rimmed steering wheel (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=steering%20wheel&x=0&y=0&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1)
- Hidden tilt adjustable steering column
- Adjustable seat runners
- Period style flat bottom dash
- Powder coated door hinges, dash frame and aluminium powder coated panels beneath dash
- XJS flyoff handbrake lever
- Leather door pads
- Discreet door solenoid for clean looking door pads
- Leather seats (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=leather+seats)
- Period Smiths gauges and switch gear
- Battery isolator
- Period stainless 427 shifter
- Period harnesses
- Full carpet including removable floor panels
- Aston locking aluminium period fuel filler cap (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000URBVNS/)
- Team 3 15" alloy wheels, stove enamelled centres, polished outers with covers for the wheel nuts
- AVON CR6ZZ DOT, & E marked tyres that are the best 15" high performance road legal tyre on the market

The decision to sell has not been an easy one as this car is just how I envisaged a Cobra to look and I am sure it will be many years before I get the chance to build and own a similar vehicle again.
I have thousands of digital photos of every aspect of build, all engine specs including every machining tolerance (even the RA value from the surface finish of the bores and deck surfaces!)
Videos of the dyno time, tons of receipts. I know every aspect of this car as it has been a large part of my life so please get in touch if you require further info.

Serious offers invited.
PM for more info or a telephone number to discuss.

Thanks for looking.

Lee

ldtopham
03-04-12, 08:04 PM
A few more pictures;)

Hagster
03-04-12, 08:25 PM
What a fantastic looking Cobra if I may say.

Warren
18-04-12, 08:40 PM
This car is a class act, seen it in the flesh, it's a belter and anyone in the market at this level should have a look.

W

tallypapa
19-04-12, 09:40 PM
hi lee, lovely looking car 8-)
what will the replacement be?

ldtopham
19-04-12, 09:48 PM
Just an empty looking garage I'm afraid:(
I've got too much going on with a house renovation and I'm not time rich at the minute so the Cobra is just sooo under used:(

I have actually got in to the old 1960/70's Honda C90/70/50's (cue everyone rolling on the floor, and no I don't call them Cub'ras), the ones with the big white plastic leg shields generally seen with a top box and front screen:lol:
They seem to fit in with the little hobby time that I have at the minute. I presently have a '63 C100, '86 C50, '80 C70, and a '77 st70. My wife is wondering if an empty garage will soon turn in to a Honda museum.

Regards,

tallypapa
19-04-12, 10:09 PM
a 'step thru'? a rare sight:D
i've a mighty nissan skyline wagon stagea tRS4 that needs to go. i was considering getting a cobra built with the mechanicals- however i viewed alastairs(MY) car & that plan got binned so thats to go (offers invited-room needed)
get 2 bikes in back too!:lol:

ldtopham
19-04-12, 10:15 PM
I'm old before my time, I really only like the older stuff, pre 80's cars and bikes. I had a 1963 Beford CA Dormobile for a few years.....now that was quirky in todays modern world.
I have never been into the Jap scene. The only car I fancied from that side of the world was the original Toyota Celica ST RA28.....I doubt there's many left now though as I recall them suffering from tin worm quite badly.

bloke from stoke
19-04-12, 10:27 PM
Honda step through, lovingly referred to as a "bog seat" when I was a lad:lol:, yes Rob when God was lad, before you start:p

Kind regards Lester

ldtopham
19-04-12, 11:52 PM
I bid on a Yam V80 last year and it had a bog seat for the rider and cistern as the top box......I missed it by 6 quid lol

The V80 being a copy of the Honda Cub in it's style!

ldtopham
20-04-12, 12:16 AM
Ooo look I found the link :D (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/380348803393?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80% 2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l131 3%26_nkw%3D380348803393%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)

dolphinboy400
20-04-12, 06:34 AM
oh dear! novelty i suppose but i couldn't ride down the road on that lol, ( but i can see Lester doing it)

robcob
20-04-12, 12:51 PM
Ooo look I found the link :D (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/380348803393?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80% 2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l131 3%26_nkw%3D380348803393%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)

Looks like a right old shitter:).

Rob

Steve-Art
20-04-12, 01:05 PM
That bike doesn't look bog standard to me!

ldtopham
20-04-12, 03:27 PM
You're all just taking the pi55!

tallypapa
20-04-12, 03:40 PM
are deposits acceptable?

Big Dai
20-04-12, 04:19 PM
That's no good - no loo roll holder & no magazine rack!!!

Warren
20-04-12, 05:26 PM
You're all just taking the pi55!

You asked for it, lol. If I could get the little t*at out the side on the conservatory I'd show you the sh*tter I just bought.

Italjet Velocifero............what came over me, I have no idea

tallypapa
20-04-12, 05:31 PM
the seller at a guess :lol:

robcob
20-04-12, 07:42 PM
Sorry just one more quip...........i bet it goes like stink:).

Rob

tallypapa
20-04-12, 07:48 PM
jap crapper:lol:
mobile skid pan?:lol:

ldtopham
26-04-12, 12:21 PM
I will be attending Stoneleigh on the Sunday with the Cobra, not Monday as I said in my initial post;)

nealgs
26-04-12, 06:56 PM
what time you going sunday Lee, planning on going down sunday also

Gary

ldtopham
27-04-12, 02:20 AM
Gary, I haven't decided yet. I did think about meeting over in Manchester with the majority but the start time is a killer for me as I'm the best part of 30-45 mins away to start with.
I'll be heading down the boring M1, I reckon on a 08:00 ish departure. This should get me there just after 10:00. If you want to join me on the run down then let me know ;)

ldtopham
28-04-12, 08:16 PM
Gary. Stoneleigh in the Cob may not happen.... It looks like the Cob may off to pastures new, I'll let you know midweek whether I still have it ;) :(

Purple AK
28-04-12, 08:26 PM
Good News :cool: and Bad News :( then Lee! Good Luck with it. :cool:

ldtopham
28-04-12, 08:37 PM
Thanks Chris, twice now I have taken a deposit in the last x2 weeks. Both times the reality is a little sickly feeling once the realty dawns in:(
Can't say I'm looking forward to Monday. No one likes to see a grown man cry:D:(

ldtopham
30-04-12, 11:26 PM
Oh well. As one chapter ends another one begins. I don't know the new owner as it was a blind sale......but it went today as arranged. All I do know is I got what I wanted for the car and whoever ends up with it will be very happy with what they have. I won't be a stranger so I am not saying goodbye....I've made some good friends via the Cobra community over the last 10 years or so and may just end up with another.....some time in the future so will be hanging around.

Ps. My garage looks very big all of a sudden;)

kdavies3
01-05-12, 07:03 AM
Well done Lee,
been there done that Chap! It hurts especially on the sunny days.
As you know I'm building again and can't wait to be back on the road.
Good luck with whatever you're planning. :D

nealgs
01-05-12, 07:49 AM
Congrats (i think ? ) Lee - If you ever need any cobra involvment you can always come and sort mine out - lol :D

rgds
Gary

Steve-Art
01-05-12, 08:17 AM
Well done Lee, it must be hard to see all the years of design & commitment that went in to the stunning outcome of your cobra, drive off with someone else at the wheel!

Keep in touch & let us know if you get another project...

Steve

cobracol
01-05-12, 11:58 AM
congrats, and commiserations Lee, hope we will still see you at Clough inn from time to time

ldtopham
01-05-12, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Kev, It must feel good to be on with another, I will be out of the Cobra ownership until the kids have grown up a little....Yours looks to be a belter and I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Gary, thanks for the offer:rolleyes: :D If you're every stuck and I can help please get in touch.

Steve, you were partly responsible for the overall look of my car and inspired me to keep an eye on the details. Thank you. I'll be keeping in touch - My regards to Karen, Phil and Shelly.

Colin, you may well from time to time. Cobras I'm sure are a like motorbikes....once you've been there you'll never let go;)

Regards,

Lee

ldtopham
01-05-12, 03:31 PM
Where has the edit function gone?? Sorry for the misspellings:oops:

wilf
01-05-12, 07:02 PM
Thank ph*k you have sold yours, now I can get on with selling mine........ :D

slaphead
01-05-12, 07:13 PM
sorry/well done pal, I will call in for a coffee next time we have a sunny evening. As usual you will here me coming.
More room for more Honda's eh

Cheers John

ldtopham
01-05-12, 07:19 PM
That's why I sold it so quick....I was trying to help push your sale along by getting mine out of the way first.....the things we do for other members:D

ldtopham
01-05-12, 07:21 PM
They look lost in the garage all x5 of em;) As usual, 'kettles always on.

chiffer
02-05-12, 10:28 AM
Thank ph*k you have sold yours, now I can get on with selling mine........ :D
My thoughts as well Wilf. All the best Lee and keep in touch.