PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found!

westborne
23-04-12, 08:38 AM
At a recent car show - Whiteman Park

KevinW
23-04-12, 08:59 AM
Excellent - is that the original Le mans AC (pic 1 and 3)?

StewbieC
23-04-12, 02:10 PM
Excellent - is that the original Le mans AC (pic 1 and 3)?

I'd say it was a copy as I'd never imagine Barrie doing anything other than the original green.

The Daytona looks like Dale's car.

dinosoar
23-04-12, 02:33 PM
I seem to remember reading that the original crashed and burned up as a total loss.

Was it something to do with Willment & co?

Andy

Dale B
23-04-12, 02:37 PM
Not mine .... It's missing the wind deflectors and has the wrong wheels :-)

dingocooke
23-04-12, 02:37 PM
Has the air of a newly crafted body to me (and beautifully done too, North Devon Metalcraft maybe????), but whatever, looks bloody awesome....:-)

Neil O
23-04-12, 02:39 PM
Whiteman Park is in Australia.

Not sure if it helps...

Dale B
23-04-12, 03:04 PM
Whiteman Park is in Australia.

Not sure if it helps...

Definately not mine ..... Can't afford the petrol to get there

london
23-04-12, 03:24 PM
I seem to remember reading that the original crashed and burned up as a total loss.

Was it something to do with Willment & co?

Andy

The original AC Le Mans Coupe crashed at Le Mans in 1964 and the remains stayed at the AC Factory until Barrie Bird got hold of them together which some spare parts which had been kept. The car was rebuilt over many years:

http://www.dep-o.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Barrie-Bird-AC-A98-Le-Mans-Coupe-2011-3-570x389.jpg

I understand that a couple of replica A98s were built by Steve Gray,but I may be wrong on that.

StewbieC
23-04-12, 03:25 PM
Sorry Dale my mistake,
Just got your #26 on the brain now, you lucky "get" .
Still trying to get SWMBO to allow me to build another.

london
23-04-12, 04:25 PM
At a recent car show - Whiteman Park

This is probably the guy who built it:

'Having already owned a ‘DAX 427’ and an aluminium ‘G Force’, I felt as only one A98 was ever made this is 5 times rarer than the DAYTONA'S (6 made). Chassis plans were purchased for the 427 style frame not front leaf spring like the Daytonas. A chassis jig was made along with a full wooden body buck to original profiles, after many telephone calls Kirkham Motor Sports they agreed to supply original suspension parts. The body has been wheeled up and welded by myself using sheets of .063 aluminium. Chrome moly tube has been used for the front and rear suspension towers along with the door intrusion bars. Aluminium radiator and fuel tank were also fabricated by myself. AC MK IV 16" 6 pin drive wheels are used, rear uprights are modified to take Porsche wheel bearing (Kirkham Mod).

Specs: 351 Fuel injected Windsor, 5 speed tremec, LSD diff, Smiths instruments and Lucas switches.

View Profile: accobracoupelemansa98 - Factory Five Forums (http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/member.php?5685-accobracoupelemansa98&)

Chimeara
23-04-12, 07:47 PM
The standard Daytona in Chris's pics looks like a Factory five, the door opening shape, wipers and exhausts are all identical to that found on a Factory 5 kit. Good find Chris.

Purple AK
23-04-12, 07:50 PM
The standard Daytona in Chris's pics looks like a Factory five, the door opening shape, wipers and exhausts are all identical to that found on a Factory 5 kit. Good find Chris. It's got Team3 wheels as well which kinda stacks up.

Chimeara
23-04-12, 07:52 PM
Can also make the roll bar out in the back of the car behind the clear 1/4 light window. Without doubt Factory 5. Just wish I could get my whees to look that clean again.

westborne
24-04-12, 03:43 AM
Yup the Ali car built as previous post - here in Aus.
Excellent craftmanship!

The FF chap was very chatty - told me he had removed his AC unit - as i was explaining Ant had been busy fitting his - Also Ant - the guys told me that there had been a batch of rear hatch glasses made that were not heat tempered and shattered on installation - are you chasing money back from FF in the States?

I am gonna write an article for ST as I have about 60 pics of the stand - the WA club gazebo is a 40ft motor home!!- and the display area was part mock up of a pit area taken from original photos of Shelby racing- all very professional

At least two lexus engined cars and quite a few injected fords and chevy-much use of inserted cats!

Chimeara
24-04-12, 06:28 AM
Why has he removed the a/c. Think before replying as you know how much of a sore subject this is

Still chasing rear screen fiasco.

westborne
24-04-12, 07:02 AM
Removed AC as he felt he didnt need it - bear in mind these guys are living in WA which reaches 35 to 40 deg regularly and they think 25 deg is too cold!!

Neil O
24-04-12, 08:02 AM
Don't do it Ant.

Remember.......Haddock :eek:

Dale B
24-04-12, 11:12 AM
I've got AC in my Daytona and have (as yet) never needed it on. There is more than sufficient air flow to keep the cabin cool through the helicoptor vents, sliding windows and blowers. My feet never seem to get excessivley warm either .... having said all that I havent used it in the summer yet.

Chimeara
24-04-12, 04:19 PM
Well Im going to use it even if I freeze to death. The work involved in mounting it all means there is no way I'm
Not using it. If after all this agro it isn't needed il seriously have to rethink my friendship with mr Oakley

Good to hear various views on it though. What daytona do you have Dale

Dale B
24-04-12, 06:29 PM
It's a scratch build by the late Jack Kube of North American Fibreglass. 10 year build as a replica of CSX2601. Got it shipped from Arizona and landed January ... spent the first couple of months getting it MOT friendly and got registered a month ago :-).

Chimeara
24-04-12, 06:39 PM
Nice, what part of the country are you in, wouldnt mind having a look over that sometime and letting you laugh at the Factory 5 parked next to it

Dale B
24-04-12, 06:44 PM
A long way from you I'm afraid ... Darlington in North East

wilf
24-04-12, 06:54 PM
Ant - I can't believe it took this to make you reconsider your friendship with Oakers. You never did that before now?

As soon as he is a day late paying his bills - cut him off. You will feel better afterwards. :D

Chimeara
24-04-12, 07:16 PM
Wilf I'm afraid I can't do that. The cheeky git thinks that highly of me now that he doesn't expect to receive a bill. His cards are marked though if this A/C fitting fiasco proves unnecessary.

Shame Dale is so far away would love to of had a look over his daytona.

Clive
24-04-12, 11:05 PM
Dale,
Are you not booked for Silverstone? Perhaps Ant could see your car there.

Dale B
25-04-12, 05:44 AM
If I can make it, it'll have to be as a last minute decision as I have something on around tha time