PDA

View Full Version : Headers don`t fit !

GARY
23-04-12, 11:25 PM
Hi SRV8 owners,
from past threads i`ve posted over time i`ve mentioned that i planned to put sidepipe`s back on my Cobra, and i had over the last 2yrs or so been getting all the relevant sections to build them ie.headers, merge collectors, sidepipe mufflers, and turn outs. Well a week after passing my MOT i decided to make a start, with the plan of having it done for the end of May,or there about`s, so i removed my underslung exhaust system without to much of a problem, which is mostly stainless and in good condition. Then i move to my headers, which i did have a problem un-bolting
mainly due to the hex head bolts being very tight in an adaptor flange,bolted to the heads so had to send off for hex socket, but once that came i had no problems.It was then i realised they must of put the headers on without the engine in, as i had no chance of removing them, where about`s i had no choice but to reluctantly cut them out, leaving me just with the removal of the steel adaptor flange.
Well tonight i thought i would position my Madgwick built stainless headers which i purchased about 2 yrs ago, in readiness for measuring up where my sidepipes will be needed to be fitted, and for the slip fit bends going to the headers, when i realised that the sections on the drivers side are not going to fit.
Now i had hoped they were correct to the SRV8 Cobra jigs as i was lead to believe, but with me having them so long, i doubt they will exchange them, i do have the passenger side front, and double middle section loosely fitted correctly, but the passenger footwell pipe and all the driver side sections will not fit. does anyone have pics of there SR headers showing the correct way the should fit, as it looks like i may be left finding someone to modify them to fit,my plan is to have them cam coated eventually anyway,
Gary.

kennylad
24-04-12, 09:07 AM
Hi Gary,

I have the same problem with my Madgwick Headers, PM me for a chat, I am in Prestwich not far from you.

nealgs
24-04-12, 11:22 AM
Hi Gary,

I'll try and sort out some pics tonite - i assume mine are SR/Madgwick build headers, but not 100%

Can you post some pics of yours, showing the problems?

rgds
Gary

GARY
24-04-12, 02:46 PM
Hi, i`ll post some more pics, although i have some i think on my pics album from last year, i have managed to provisionally fit front passenger side and the centre two on the passenger side, but can`t seem to see how the inner one can fit on this side.
As for the driver side, the first one catches the steering shaft, and the centre two the brake booster, then the inner one catches the footwell, either that or i`m doing something wrong, but i`ll sort some pics out to clarify it,
Gary.

Clarkson
24-04-12, 06:29 PM
Hi Gary,

You posted up some pics some time ago and I seam to recall saying they don't fit!! I could not work out from your pics that they would ever fit your car??.

You will have problems with the steering shaft as bodgewick don't use the mgb steering rack, the column runs over the top of the headers not under like yours.

I would get on to the phone to them and watch for out the fantastic customer service your going to get.

Think they will be at stoneleigh, so you could drop them off to them.

GARY
24-04-12, 08:58 PM
Hi,
i`ve heard a few stories just recently about Madgwick, its a shame they`ve taken over for the SRV8 it seems, i will ring them tomorrow, but i can`t go to Stoneleigh as i`m already away that weekend, i also have nt had chance to take some more pics yet but will tomorrow.
I`m not sure what the outcome will be, like i`ve mentioned its nearly 2 yrs ago, so i don`t know other than modify them to fit, if it could be done,
Gary.

Clarkson
24-04-12, 09:06 PM
Gaz,

Pm me your number and I'll send some pics of mine tomorrow via text.

GARY
24-04-12, 10:18 PM
Hi Dave,
cheers for that ,
Gary.

windsor400
09-05-12, 10:05 AM
Hi,Clarkson,
Anybody would think you don't like Bodgewick!!!!!

nealgs
09-05-12, 10:51 AM
I wonder what Madgwick are upto also, as they had no presence at Stoneleigh from what i could see (or couldn't) - was wanting to ask a few question re cost for a bonnet etc.

Also - sorry Gary, i didn't get any photos of mine for you done - if you still need them, i'll try and get them done tonite

rgds
Gary

windsor400
09-05-12, 06:38 PM
Hi Nealds,
I thought the bonnet came with the body on a Bodgewick
Cheers

GARY
09-05-12, 08:28 PM
Hi Gary,
i`ve got a friend coming around to see what needs modifying i`ve got 3 bolted on perfect on passenger side, just need to rectify the others, it looks like we can get 3 on the drivers side to fit with slight modifications,ie cut, pieced, and re-welded.The 2 back ones will need a fair bit of work and extended, but from what we can see we can make them work, i know i should`nt have to be doing it but i`ve had them that long, waiting to go on, re-building the ones that are incorrect is the best option for me as it stands, its just held the timescale up for when i wanted it back on the road, but it will be worth it when its done i`m sure,
Gary.

JR
21-10-12, 02:37 PM
Gary
My original headers on RV8 are a very tight fit to the passenger footwell to the extent that the alloy covering had to be cut away at that point to clear.
john

nealgs
21-10-12, 02:47 PM
only just seen windor400s reply to this - doh!

Anyways, my question re bonnet was regarding getting one to cut out the scoop and replace with a bolt/rivet on scoop that is slightly wider/taller than the default one piece bonnet scoop.

If i bugger it up, then at least i've still got my original bonnet to use :D

Also, to Gary - my headers are very, very close to the drivers side foot well assembly, so close in fact that i have to jack the engine/gbox up slightly in order to remove No. 8 plug properly.

not sure if my footwell box is slightly longer or what but it's a right pain in the ass to remove that 1 plug - lol

Gary

BLOKE
21-10-12, 04:39 PM
I am a friend of Dave Corruthers so I have tried to keep out of this one, but the comments some of you have made are totally wrong, If you order headers from Madjwick that is what you get, and they fit, however the headers you needed are for the original SR V8 as I have fitted, yes they are close to the footwells but we live with that, Dave never made his headers in that way from day one, if you had quoted they were for the old chassis, he MAY have been able to make you a set.
If I were he I would consider taking legal advice against anyone slandering my company name.
frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Steve
21-10-12, 07:02 PM
I am a friend of Dave Corruthers so I have tried to keep out of this one, but the comments some of you have made are totally wrong, If you order headers from Madjwick that is what you get, and they fit, however the headers you needed are for the original SR V8 as I have fitted, yes they are close to the footwells but we live with that, Dave never made his headers in that way from day one, if you had quoted they were for the old chassis, he MAY have been able to make you a set.
If I were he I would consider taking legal advice against anyone slandering my company name.
frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

cant help thinking if madjwick knew that the headers fitted new (madgwick) but not old (SRV8) chassis....it'd be best for him to say so, to prevent customers buying something that was useless.....

i certainly would expect dax/gd/ak to ask which version of a chassis i was using ........ just IMHO of course

BLOKE
21-10-12, 07:29 PM
No, you miss the point, Madjwick never made the old style headers, they were only ever made by the previous owner of the SR V8, Southern Roadcraft, Brian Nicholls, who now owns Re-power, and I believe that a few years went by before it was sold to Madgwick.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

GARY
21-10-12, 08:17 PM
My headers are more or less built now, taught myself to TIG weld after i bought a welder as i was stuck tyo find anyone to undertake the job on as my car was off the road by that time, having removed the old underslung system and steering linkage. I ended up using the headers i bought off Madgwick,which when i ordered them about 2yrs ago, i mentioned it was for a Southern Roadcraft, any way i have basically redesigned 7 individual pipes completely, only one fitting without modifications.
I can its been an ordeal as i really thought i was out of my depth on this one, and now i`am at the stage where i need to construct the bends to my merge collectors, then to my sidepipes ect, so i hope when its all fitted it does`nt leak and my Cobra runs and sounds as i wanted it to.
I would say that i would`nt fancy doing it again, its not been easy having to design the pipes to all meet in sequence as it exits the wings, missing all obsticles under the engine bay, spark plug access ect, been through a lot of Argon gas too, which can work out costly.
But all in all, its been an experience, but like i mentioned till its all together and running i dont know how well i`ve done yet, so i will keep you informed,
Gary.

Clarkson
21-10-12, 10:02 PM
But the chassis has never changed around by the foot wells, so they should fit regardless. The only thing that I can see has changed is the steering column linkage that goes over the top of the headers rather than going though it.

nealgs
22-10-12, 06:36 PM
got to add some more info and say that mine is a Southern Roadcraft era SRV8, and i've no idea what/who/why/when headers they are, but either way, they are tight to the drivers footwell for plug number 8 :D

Gary