PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Re-Chroming North Wales?

Big Dai
30-04-12, 09:20 PM
Not Cob related but I picked up my lawn mower from the repairer today & the chap is in the final stages of restoring an old motorbike (no idea what it is but it's from the 1930's) & he said his next step is to have the exhaust re-chromed but he is struggling to find anyone who does it locally - the nearest he has found so far is in Warrington - does anyone have any ideas please?

chesterak
30-04-12, 10:00 PM
Fairly sure no one local - Warrington is not too far...

Could call North West Enamellers in Buckley to see if they know of anyone.

HTH

Big Dai
30-04-12, 10:14 PM
Many thanks - I just had a vague idea that I had read/heard or (more likely) made up that there one someone on Anglesey.

dolphinboy400
03-05-12, 08:13 PM
It may be cheaper to get the exhausts made up in stainless. Re-chroming can be hit and miss

dingocooke
04-05-12, 11:49 AM
Ah it's not that simple Im afraid.

Rechroming a used exhaust is a no no for any plater unless the exhaust is completely clear like the header pipe/down tube only or a megaphone without fixed baffles; the reason for this is the carbon
in a used exhaust doesnt get completely removed in the acid pickle clean, and then it contaminates the expensive plating solution and everything in the bath gets black stains/spots etc on it.

If the exhaust has removeable baffles you will find somebody to do it, but seriously it is far cheaper to buy a new pipe and silncer from Armours at Bournemouth; they do mail order too
and now have an online catalogue; I have no relation to them bar having used them for a lot of exhausts over the years and been very happy with them

Armours (http://www.armoursltd.co.uk/Armours/Home/Home.html)

Big Dai
04-05-12, 12:39 PM
Many thanks for your replies chaps - I've passed all your comments on so it's up to him now - might save me a couple of quid on my next mower service :grin:

Warren
07-05-12, 08:56 PM
My Dad is into the old bikes and has someone for this stuff he really rates but it will be up here somewhere. I can ask if you want, let me know. I know he struggled for a while finding someone prepared to do small 'one off' bits and bobs.

W

Big Dai
07-05-12, 09:48 PM
Thanks Warren but I've passed the info on to my mower guy so it's over to him now.