PDA

View Full Version : And yet another newbie

austin21
08-05-12, 10:19 PM
Evening all,

Just a quick intro, I'm in the process of deciding which kit and engine package. I've got to be a little careful deciding which kit as I'm 6'5" and reasonably well built.

I'm hoping to start collecti.g parts to refurbish soon although can't go too mad just yet as I'm still in the process of moving house.

I did go the to Stoneleigh but on the Monday, hence missed most of the clubs, but did get a chance to sit the GD and AK cars on their stands so have a better idea which way I'm looking, but .... Are there any other kits out there that give a good amount of room for a big bugger such as myself?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Greg

aaronjb
08-05-12, 11:15 PM
Dax is also pretty roomy (similar to an AK based on the recollection of sitting in one, anyway) - though I think, when I did the rounds, the GD felt roomiest for me. Then again I'm quite a bit shorter (but built like a small bus :lol: )..

austin21
08-05-12, 11:45 PM
Ah right oh thanks for that, I'll try and find one to have a try in. They did have one at the show but it had a hard top on which would have ment making a complete exhibition of myself trying to get into and out of it ;).

The GD did feel like it had a bit more room but this was mainly due to the angle and position of the dash. saying that the tunnel seemed to be narrower hence giving more width for leg room.

On the plus side I think I've decided on the basics of the block I'd like to use being a 350 Chevy. Just trying to wrap my head around the options in there now though ;)

Greg

aaronjb
08-05-12, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I found the GD very odd in that - due to the big backbone chassis - you expect it to have a huge tunnel and feel very small inside. Yet it was the complete opposite for me; it felt roomier than the Dax or AK.

Yet I still ordered a Dax.. :lol: (Largely because it's much easier to fit my engine of choice in and have sidepipes - though the sidepipes at least are doable on the GD as they've been done before)

KevinW
08-05-12, 11:53 PM
The Crendon is also quite roomy as well.
Home : Crendon Replicas (http://crendonreplicas.com/)
You could arrange a factory visit by phoning John Kerr, who isnt very far away from you.
HTH

austin21
09-05-12, 12:20 AM
Cheers Aaron, that's pretty much what I thought when comparing the two. I was also happy to see its possible to.do the side pipes on the GD as well as they are an essential for me.

Thanks for the heads up Kevin, I hadn't realised Crendon were so close as I'm over near chipping Norton at the moment but looking to move towards Thame. So they'll be on my doorstep :)

Thanks
Greg

craggle
09-05-12, 08:36 AM
But don't go to Crendon if you want a Chevy engine, The owner doesn't let customers make their own choice.

Dax do an extended footwell option if needed which moves the pedals forwards a couple of inches, might help you out a bit.

Craig.

Neil O
09-05-12, 08:54 AM
But don't go to Crendon if you want a Chevy engine, The owner doesn't let customers make their own choice.

Craig.

Untrue.
The Chevy engine doesn't actually fit in a Crendon. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Ford Windsor or Cleveland, just as good a choice as the Chevy anyway.
Of course Ford FE is the only way to go.....:cool:

Greg, welcome.
At 6'5" I think you may sit a little high in the Crendon. It really depends on the ratio of leg and back length. Leg length is not a problem, no need to extend the footwells.
It's worth trying one out though as the general feel of the Crendon is quite roomy, more so than the Dax I used to own.
In some makes you may struggle with the bottom edge of the dash being too close to your knees. Just something to bear in mind when trying them out.

Austin
09-05-12, 09:53 AM
Like the name - but worried its getting as common as Blue & White paint!

Welcome on board and as said above, just sit in one of each and see which was fits just right - it worked for the 3 bears.

aaronjb
09-05-12, 11:17 AM
At 6'5" I think you may sit a little high in the Crendon.

There's nothing wrong with picking bugs out of your teeth.. ;) :lol:

(I jest - do go and look at a Crendon(s) somewhere & visit JK; the chassis is a work of art, and he's a thoroughly decent fella too)

tonym
09-05-12, 11:49 AM
If you do decide on an AK (and there's no reason why you shouldn't) then ask about their optional "Big Tone" chassis, especially built for the *ahem* larger man :-)

austin21
09-05-12, 01:52 PM

Dax do an extended footwell option if needed which moves the pedals forwards a couple of inches, might help you out a bit.

Craig.

Cheers Craig, It seems that most of them will play around with the location of the peddle box to gain an extra inch or two. It was also suggested that different seat types could see an extra bit of room by allowing me to sit further back, although I think this may make the sitting possition a little too upright. but will look into this as well.

Untrue.
The Chevy engine doesn't actually fit in a Crendon. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Ford Windsor or Cleveland, just as good a choice as the Chevy anyway.
Of course Ford FE is the only way to go.....:cool:

Greg, welcome.
At 6'5" I think you may sit a little high in the Crendon. It really depends on the ratio of leg and back length. Leg length is not a problem, no need to extend the footwells.
It's worth trying one out though as the general feel of the Crendon is quite roomy, more so than the Dax I used to own.
In some makes you may struggle with the bottom edge of the dash being too close to your knees. Just something to bear in mind when trying them out.

Thanks Neil, I did see the chevy issue with Crendon kits last night but as you've said it's still worth a look. I've not bought anything as yet so plans can still change ;-)

Also you're right on the dash shape and position it was at less of an angle in the GD which ment the lower edge was further forward giving me more room. Also the sweep from the door panel into the dash had been trimmed back giving more room there too.

Like the name - but worried its getting as common as Blue & White paint!

Welcome on board and as said above, just sit in one of each and see which was fits just right - it worked for the 3 bears.

Cheers on the naming front and same to you, as for the paint um yeah bugger thats on the cards as well ;-)

There's nothing wrong with picking bugs out of your teeth.. ;) :lol:

(I jest - do go and look at a Crendon(s) somewhere & visit JK; the chassis is a work of art, and he's a thoroughly decent fella too)

Luckily I'm not a vegitarian hence the odd bit of extra protien shouldn't bee too much of a problem ;-)

If you do decide on an AK (and there's no reason why you shouldn't) then ask about their optional "Big Tone" chassis, especially built for the *ahem* larger man :-)

Cheers Tony, I did speak to Paul(I think) about the peddle box and bits.

Thanks all.

Greg

tonym
09-05-12, 02:04 PM
Cheers Tony, I did speak to Paul(I think) about the peddle box and bits.

AK altered the whole chassis to give me more room, not just peddle box etc :-)

Neil O
09-05-12, 03:04 PM
AK altered the whole chassis to give me more room, not just peddle box etc :-)

Snigger.........:D

tonym
09-05-12, 03:45 PM
Snigger.........:D

I know, who'd have thought it. I hide my weight so well! :roll: :-P

wilf
09-05-12, 08:15 PM
Never thought I would see the concept of "hiding in plain sight" taken to such extremes. :D

Warren
09-05-12, 08:24 PM
lol, yer mean fat! I was 18+ stone when I built the AK, specified the extra foot room option but never really needed it. I'm 6 foot and when 18+ fitted okay with an easy 3" behind the seat. 6' 5" the extended pedal box would be useful. Are you all leg or all body though, does make a diference, my 40 stone mate has been in mine!!!!!! Didn't let the fat get drive it though.

W