PDA

View Full Version : what is my replica

the baron
13-05-12, 09:42 AM
Hi new to the forum
joined the other day and am now as of saturday the 12th may a proud owner of a cobra replica. The only thing is I do not know what kit it is. The owner had acquired it from a friend who was moving house and could no longer store it he had the build folder but had got lost as usually happens when cars are stored for a long time (been in storage for 5 years).It had only 2 previous owners and was built on a ford cortina 1976 base, it has a vin plate which is like that thick formica plastic glued to the inside wing under the bonnet. The plate says colour hood colour and has some numbers on it but I beleive that these numbers are usually made up from phone numbers etc
reg number is TWL 586P
PICS CAN BE VIEWED ON EBAY AS A FINISHED ITEM NUMBER 120911741429
IF ANYBODY COULD HELP I WOULD BE GRATEFULL

chiffer
13-05-12, 10:09 AM
Hi err the baron,

A name helps. If you can get to the Northern meet today at The Clough House Inn, near Brighouse. Address is in the section Northern Meet. There will be a few of us there today, 12.30 til about 3.00pm. I am sure we will bable to help you. Just intoeduce yourself.

plantman
13-05-12, 01:17 PM
I would say a Pilgrim but you might have a problem if it does not say what it is in the registration document.

Chris

dgosumo
13-05-12, 05:08 PM
Agreed should say Pilgrim Sumo (or different manufacturer if not a Pilgrim) on your V5C. Do you know when it was built?

Has a lot of the tell-tale Pilgrim things on it like forward opening bonnet and double roll hoop but door handles are missing if it's an old Sumo.

Chassis pictures would be good to see

aaronjb
13-05-12, 05:16 PM
Looks like the panels over the footwells are moulded as part of the body, too, Pilgrim never had that, did it? Also a regular bonnet latch pin (off a production car) at the front of the bonnet?

dgosumo
13-05-12, 05:31 PM
If I remember right the Mk1 Sumo had some of the chassis not metal. Bonnet latch is the same as mine (Sierra if I recall), also this one has inertia reel seat belts in the Pilgrim (centre) position.

Would be good to get some photos of the rear (level with the bottom of the chassis), the underneath rear and front (if it's a Mk1) should have the Cortina subframe attached I think.

stu e
13-05-12, 05:41 PM
Doesn't look like a Pilgrim to me. The doors, rear arches and as stated above the moulded battery tray, don't look right. When I bought mine if you went with the (standard) rear hinging bonnet there was a latch at the front.
Hope someone else recognises it.
Stu

the baron
13-05-12, 05:42 PM
If I remember right the Mk1 Sumo had some of the chassis not metal. Bonnet latch is the same as mine (Sierra if I recall), also this one has inertia reel seat belts in the Pilgrim (centre) position.

Would be good to get some photos of the rear (level with the bottom of the chassis), the underneath rear and front (if it's a Mk1) should have the Cortina subframe attached I think.
I thought with my limited knowledge it was a pilgrim sumo MK1 the donor car was a ford cortina, V5 says make FORD, model cortina base. It has a 2.0/2.1 pinto engine and with its age 1976 on v5 it pointed towards a pilgrim. One of the previous owners has said (3rd hand conversation) that it has the bigger frame and will take a larger engine, gearbox I beleive to be ford 4 speed. I will get further pics and post later including the vin plate
many thnks to all and will appreciate any further advice. Ps what problems ref V5 description?
Pete

dave
13-05-12, 06:24 PM
Ps what problems ref V5 description?
Pete

Hi Pete.
You are not going to want to hear this but please don't shoot the messenger....
The car is incorrectly reigstered, if stopped by the police yo could have the registration taken from you and the car banned from being used on the road until SVA/IVA tested and re registered as it does not match the discription on the V5C (It is no longer a Ford Cortina, and the V5C should show this, it should say Pilgrim or Pilgrim Sumo, or words to that effect)
A car of that age is not likely to pass the IVA test as when it was originally purchased as a kit the test did not exist.
It would be possible to get the car through the test, but this will be at some considerable expense, quite easily running into a few thousand pounds.........Unless.....
You can provide evidence that the car has been used on the road constantly since before the introduction of the SVA/IVA testing scheme, which was introduced in around 1998.

Purple AK
13-05-12, 06:43 PM
Pete. What you have is an incorrectly registered MK1 Sumo. IF the seller had conveniently not lost the paperwork you "might" have had a chance of registering it correctly. Best thing in my opinion is an ebay recall, not as described/not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act.

plantman
13-05-12, 08:16 PM
It should have not passed an MOT if incorrectly registered

Chris

slogger
13-05-12, 11:16 PM
I thought with my limited knowledge it was a pilgrim sumo MK1 the donor car was a ford cortina, V5 says make FORD, model cortina base. It has a 2.0/2.1 pinto engine and with its age 1976 on v5 it pointed towards a pilgrim. One of the previous owners has said (3rd hand conversation) that it has the bigger frame and will take a larger engine, gearbox I beleive to be ford 4 speed. I will get further pics and post later including the vin plate
many thnks to all and will appreciate any further advice. Ps what problems ref V5 description?
Pete

There is some hope as the V5 appears to acknowledge that this Cob isn't a Cortina. Stating 'Cortina base' was another way of flagging up a kit car back in the good old days. Is this reg incorrect in law as the requirement is that the V5C shows and accurate description of the motor vehicle?

Just a thought.

the baron
14-05-12, 08:04 AM
Hi I actually thought the same as it is described as a cortina based vehicle which is what it is- however from the letter of the law it is a very grey area as the question would be "well what is it ?".
It may be a way forward with the dvla as it will have a date when it was registered as a cortina base which hopefully will be before SVA.
However I still do not know what model it is also I can only go on what I have been told and just because it shows the date of reg as 1976 is this the DOR of the original car and has this kit been done a lot later and may be a newer kit than we are all thinking?. Identification is essential before any action is taken with the DVLA.
On another note it has not got any door handles how do i lock this type of vehicle any thoughts
Thanks Pete

chiffer
14-05-12, 08:53 AM
You can't. This is not a problem as none of the replica cobras have lockable doors. These cars are not usually stolen as they are so recognisable, and more than likely would end up round a tree before they got to the bottom of the street.

Ian 46
14-05-12, 08:57 AM
Morning Pete,

You don't lock the doors on a Cobra.

They all have latches on the inside of the doors (apart from Pilgrims). Even with a hood and side screens you still have to reach inside to undo the door latches and a hood offers no protection.

You either leave the car where you can see it or fit some sort of disabling devise or alarm and whilst not in use keep it in a locked and alarmed garage.

Ian

bloke from stoke
14-05-12, 10:14 AM
Hi Pete 1976 was change over year for the Ford Cortina, the Mk111 was on the way out and Ford launched the Mk1V, so i would expect the date on your V5 to be the date the Cortina was first registered.

Kind regards and good luck, Lester

Steve-Art
14-05-12, 10:24 AM
It's definately a MK1 Pilgrim Sumo, there was a chap that used to attend the old Nags Head meet in the early to mid 90s that had one, that had the same fibreglass foot boxes & also a blueprinted 2.1 Pinto engine!

Steve

the baron
14-05-12, 04:11 PM
This one I have has door latches - levers inside does that mean it can't be a PILGRIM?

craggle
14-05-12, 04:21 PM
I seem to remember the external door latches being optional on the earlier models, Sure I remember that from back in the days when I dreamed of building a Cobra replica. :)
Unless these ones have just been filled and painted?

Craig.

dave
14-05-12, 06:14 PM
I seem to remember the external door latches being optional on the earlier models, Sure I remember that from back in the days when I dreamed of building a Cobra replica. :)
Unless these ones have just been filled and painted?

Craig.

What Craig said.
External door handle mouldings in the doors was an option.
Also, it doesn't take a great deal of tallent to pack them full of bodyfiller and spray over the recess.

cobracol
14-05-12, 08:35 PM
Baron (Real name?) there is a chap avaliable to us that may sort the red tape for you, and it may save you having to go through an iva test, if nothing else he will let you know for def what you need to do, his name is Paul Jepson email paul.jepson@kitcarreg.com Tel 01189 842303
mob 07748702987

the baron
14-05-12, 09:10 PM
thanks will get in touch when v5 comes back in my name
Pete