PDA

View Full Version : choice of doner

427 wannabe
11-08-12, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone,

As a newby I thought it polite to say good afternoon, and to pose the first of what I imagine will be a fair few questions...

I have decided I want a Cobra replica and having been to some shows and workshops I have decided on the Crendon, which uses Jaguar XJ doner parts; either series 2 or 3.

I have decided that it's time to acquire my doner vehicle and to be fair, will probably end up driving it for a bit whilst I finish off my current project which is a 1971 Land Rover Series 2a. So here's the question -

Can anyone confirm what age of Jag I am looking for? Having looked online I think I should be ok with anything built between 1968 and October 1986. Does the exact model matter and would it be ok if I ended up with an XJS? There are a few on ebay for about the right money but I just want to be sure I am buying something I can use next year.

Thanks,

Tony

seph
11-08-12, 03:32 PM
Tony,

series 2 was not produced until 1973, the xjs is actually series 3 so is fine. Just stay away away from anything early, as there is plenty of later stuff out there. You are also right about series 3 finishing in 1986

Paul

Happy Jim
11-08-12, 03:34 PM
Argh - lost 1st post...

'68-'73 is Series 1 and best avoided if possible, XJS is fine although last of the line ones had outboard rear discs and you would need to check with John to see if the Crendon can accomodate them.

Regards

Jim

Lloyd Barnes
11-08-12, 03:40 PM
Aha, a man of taste I see :-D Do you know what engine you are planning to use? If so then you could get the car with the best diff ratio for that engine. John could advise further.

It's also worth talking to John about lead times. Crendons don't come out of his workshop often, mine took about 6-8 months. Planning ahead needed. :-)

Welcome to the club.

427 wannabe
11-08-12, 04:25 PM
I nipped over to see John for a quick chat and a look round a few months back - and emerged from the workshop several cups of tea and a number of hours later, I'm pleased to say with common sense answers to my questions and a real idea of where I wanted things to go, top bloke. It was after speaking to him on the phone yesterday that he suggested this forum.

I'm not in any hurry as have a current project and limited funds so am planning to do it a bit at a time. Probably as a kit a bit at a time rather than go for the rolling chassis option - although I can see the sense in this and the difference in cost isn't really significant when you look at the whole project...

Engine wise I'm not really sure yet. I had wondered about doing this in two stages, eg using something I can afford initially whilst I save up for something else to go in at a later stage.

...thoughts please...

Tony

Lloyd Barnes
11-08-12, 07:19 PM
I just bought the chassis from John as I prefer to do the whole build. He's quite happy to work that way. Re the motor you don't want to change the actual type of engine, but you could put a bog standard motor in then tune it at a later date.

KevinW
12-08-12, 02:59 PM
Just a suggestion, but you probably wont go wrong with a 2.88 diff for an FE, but in all these things JK is the best to advise.
If its a Cleveland engine that might not apply.

My other suggestion would be to get yourself a spitfire heater and do the refurb yourself once you have gone firm with John - £35 from ebay, and then some bits'nbobs from Halfords. Again, JK is best person to advise. When you come to build you can just unwrap it from the bubble wrap and crack on.

btw you are welcome to come and have a butchers at mine if you want - about 45 mins drive from you I'd guess (near Farnborough turn off of M3)