PDA

View Full Version : Donor Vehicle I.D. Retention.

Zagato
18-08-12, 01:18 PM
Hello, having been impressed with my recently sold Nostalgia XK120 I would like to now build a Hawk AC Ace. This subject will have been done to death but i could only find one thread from 2009.

Is it true that to keep the original registration of the donor vehicle I don't need to do an IVA test but just need to find a friendly guy from the DVLA to register it. I don't mind not being able to retain the original registration but it would be nice to have a pre 72 black and white plate on it. I would hate to end up with a Q plate :eek: I bumped into a girl at Brooklands a couple of years ago who has a Nova and she said the DVLA were contacting all Nova owners and may put some on Q plates - yikes

Many thanks

chiffer
18-08-12, 01:30 PM
I do not think you can keep the origional registration of the donar vehicle, but you can get a registration of the same year as the donar vehicle if you pass the certain requirements needed. Engine date and other parts that are age related. You will still have to have the vehicle IVA tested though.

Purple AK
18-08-12, 05:22 PM
Hello, having been impressed with my recently sold Nostalgia XK120 I would like to now build a Hawk AC Ace. This subject will have been done to death but i could only find one thread from 2009.

Is it true that to keep the original registration of the donor vehicle I don't need to do an IVA test but just need to find a friendly guy from the DVLA to register it. I don't mind not being able to retain the original registration but it would be nice to have a pre 72 black and white plate on it. I would hate to end up with a Q plate :eek: I bumped into a girl at Brooklands a couple of years ago who has a Nova and she said the DVLA were contacting all Nova owners and may put some on Q plates - yikes

Many thanks
You can't keep the donor reg.
You will, provided you use enough parts (not that many) from the donor get an age related plate.
You will need an IVA test.
Finding a friendly DVLA person, would be fraudulant and also impossible once the local DVLA offices close in the near future.
Even a pre 72 age related reg is not legally allowed to carry black and silver/white plates.

Clive
18-08-12, 08:48 PM
Hi Zagato,

Good luck with your build. You will probably find some good info here. www.the289register.com (http://www.the289register.com)

Purple AK
18-08-12, 08:52 PM
What you really need is a pre registered 1965 chassis ;-) But they are getting thin on the ground now! ;-)

Zagato
19-08-12, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the replies, I didn't think it would be as easy as I was told!! I used to risk running around on black and white plates on my dateless plates think they were called.

This time I just want a classic style car but with modern mechanicals (I've got over trying to pretend it's the real thing) A Morgan is the obvious choice but they don't look right to me so an AC Ace will be the jobby, no rust, no mechanical worries, jump in and enjoy - I've had enough of classic cars, rust and engine rebuilds!

If it has a new engine etc there is probably no way and I can an age related plate now anyway. I will ask the guys at the Cranleigh show today about engines, I'm not to worried about power although something that sounds nice would be great. I think the AC can't take too big a lump at the front so some sort of 1.6, 1.8, maybe Ford, I don't know?

FatBoy
19-08-12, 08:43 AM
Hi,

I believe the 6 cylinder BMW engine is an option with the Hawk Ace. Talk to Gerry at Hawk Cars.

Paul

Clive
19-08-12, 09:18 AM
The Triumph 2.5 straight six waas the engine of choice for the Hawk Ace, but as they are now rare, the BMW straight six is now used as Paul said. Ironically the original six cylinder Bristol engine which was in the Ace was derived from a German engine after the war.