PDA

View Full Version : Viper steering and Track Developments

labeline
31-08-12, 08:17 PM
Hi V8 Viper owners.

You may have read some of my posts in which I talk about getting power steering fitted to my car. I am assuming that like me your V8 Viper will have very heavy steering. My car is 20 years old and has the old converted Ford steering rack. I seem to recall reading a Viper owner post some time ago saying that Track Developments at Castle Coombe had sorted their steering out but can't find it. I intend to book my car in for a sort out but would appreciate any feedback first, not on their work which I know is excellent, but on the difference it made to your car. If I can get my steering a tad lighter I will stop blathering on about power steering!

Cheers

Paul

TINKA
31-08-12, 08:39 PM
I poster a reply to you a while ago. I drove Iain's car before and after and the difference was huge. He is now thinking of fitting a quick rack to it as the steering is so much lighter. He used to visit this forum but no longer does. Hope that helps. He posts as Iain so you could also try to search his posts.

TINKA
31-08-12, 08:45 PM
Here is the thread he posted.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/27307-track-developments.html

labeline
31-08-12, 08:58 PM
I poster a reply to you a while ago. I drove Iain's car before and after and the difference was huge. He is now thinking of fitting a quick rack to it as the steering is so much lighter. He used to visit this forum but no longer does. Hope that helps. He posts as Iain so you could also try to search his posts.

Martin

Thanks for that, I knew I had had some discussion about it before. So the car was better even without addressing the design issues? That is promising. I will give Dave a ring as soon as the car is finally back on the road and I know the it has passed it's MOT. I don't think I would have the inclination to start hacking off suspension mounts etc but if it can be improved with the basics done it would be worthwhile.

Paul

Murray
31-08-12, 09:12 PM
I have power steering on my Viper, light as a feather. I believe it is a Peugeot system, electric/hydraulic. It has been a boon.
However my handling is awful after fitting new tyres all round, very skittish and horrible even on a straight road. I shall be investigating bump steer asap. Then?

TINKA
31-08-12, 09:22 PM
Martin

Thanks for that, I knew I had had some discussion about it before. So the car was better even without addressing the design issues? That is promising. I will give Dave a ring as soon as the car is finally back on the road and I know the it has passed it's MOT. I don't think I would have the inclination to start hacking off suspension mounts etc but if it can be improved with the basics done it would be worthwhile.

Paul

I wouldn't swear to it but if you can leave it with him I think he will make the changes that are required. Might be an idea to ask him.

Happy Jim
31-08-12, 09:24 PM
I have power steering on my Viper, light as a feather. I believe it is a Peugeot system, electric/hydraulic. It has been a boon.
However my handling is awful after fitting new tyres all round, very skittish and horrible even on a straight road. I shall be investigating bump steer asap. Then?

Invest in a Tyre Pressure Guage first ;-)

Murray
01-09-12, 10:14 AM
All done at the fitting centre, started with 20lbs at first as the old ones were, now at 26 rear 24 front. Still not much good, feels like I am going to be thrown off the road at anything over 50/60mph! My old tyres were 27 years old!!

labeline
01-09-12, 11:28 AM
All done at the fitting centre, started with 20lbs at first as the old ones were, now at 26 rear 24 front. Still not much good, feels like I am going to be thrown off the road at anything over 50/60mph! My old tyres were 27 years old!!

Murray

27 years old must be a record! What make and size did you replace them with as I am about to renew my Goodyear NCT's at a mere 20 years old (not supposed to keep them more than 6 apparently!) and I wouldn't want the same problems. The choice is limited with 15 " wheels but I am looking at Pirelli's 215/60 r 15 front and 235/60 R 15 rear.(currently 225/60 R 15) Are they directional and if so have they fitted them the right way around?

Paul

bigblock427
01-09-12, 12:07 PM

What brand and size of tyres have you fitted ?

Some of the vintage style tyres like Goodyear Billboards and Bluestreaks are bias ply and tend to hunt along the road following all the ruts and contours. On a perfectly smooth surface like a racetrack they are excellent but on normal roads they can be a bit of a handful.

labeline
01-09-12, 04:44 PM
Murray

Just thinking about it, How did you get 27 year old tyres on a Cobretti? That would make it 1985.

Murray
02-09-12, 02:08 PM
I had BF Goodrich Radial Radial TA's on before at 215-60-15 front, 235-60-15 on the rear. Replaced with BF Goodrich Radial TA's at 225-60-15 and 245-60-15's. So same tyres just a bit wider, and not so rock solid !!

I have no idea why the tyres were so old, they were on the car when I got it, I can only presume that they were not fitted new :) !!