PDA

View Full Version : More confused by the minute!

Mario149
09-09-12, 01:06 PM
Hello all, I've joined here trying to find out info for a potential cobra purchase in the new year and I swear I'm getting more confused by the minute! I've come over from pistonheads after starting this thread: Dax 427 help (http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=1194352&mid=168845&nmt=Dax+427+help)

At the moment I'm just trying to establish a baseline of worth of a known spec of car as there seem to be so many potential options that affect price, as well as who built it etc etc etc.

So, I was hoping the collective could comment on this: DB Replicas - For Sale (http://www.v8cobra.com/for_sale.html)

I'm sure half of you know the guy(s) that build them ;), but...

1) given the spec detailed, is that a reasonable price?
2) does it have (missing?) anything that may be desirable/generally considered a must-have?
3) what kind of power would it have? My limited knowledge seems to suggest 350bhp....
4) and on the same topic, is it FI or carburettored? Apparently carburettored is better but more expensive....can, worms, open?!
4) what sort of resale might I get for that exact car 3 years and 10k miles down the line?

Basically, I'm just trying to get an idea here! I love the idea of a cobra as a left field alternative to a regular sportscar but nailing down exactly what I'd get for my money seems nigh on impossible!

Many thanks for your help in advance and happy Sunday, hope you're all out driving :)

Clive
09-09-12, 09:53 PM
Dave Brooks (DB Replicas) is a top bloke and highly respected in the world of Cobra replicas. The car that you posted the link to would appear to be better value than the one you were looking at Sovereign Cars who, in my opinion, always over value the Cobras they are selling.

My advice would be to give Dave a call and perhaps visit his workshop to have a look for yourself.

slogger
09-09-12, 10:51 PM
As said above, Dave Brooks is a top bloke. The link is an ad for him to build you a new Cob so best speak to him face to face at his workshop. These cars do hold their value well and possibly a DB car more than some. It is very difficult to say how much one of these cars will be worth in the future as they are not main stream as you have pointed out. Lets say it will not plummet in value like the average daily driver. Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say a well looked after, good spec, DB car a couple of years old has got to be worth mid to high 20s, but they are only worth what somebody will pay for them. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your search and welcome to our little, loud, corner of the world. A name goes a long way on here by the way.

britbits
10-09-12, 07:02 AM
As above give Dave A bell tell him your budget and go from there, you wont get a better car buck for buck, by the way welcome

dave
10-09-12, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys.
I missed this yesterday.......I was "Living it large" in the hospitality suite at Santa Pod Raceway. :D
:D:D

Mario.
Feel free to give me a call, I only charge if I get my hands dirty.;)

dolphinboy400
11-09-12, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys.
I missed this yesterday.......I was "Living it large" in the hospitality suite at Santa Pod Raceway. :D
:D:D

Mario.
Feel free to give me a call, I only charge if I get my hands dirty.;)

but you have been known to perform for custard creams :P

I dont think a cobra replica really goes down in price, You never get back what you paid but if you keep it maintained and use it the price will only fluctuate a small amount i.e. summer/winter sale and/or desire of buyer ;)

Mario149
13-09-12, 02:35 PM
Thanks for everyone's help so far :) I had a chat with Dave the other day and he was very helpful indeed (thanks Dave!) although he'll probably get bored with me pinging email questions to him soon :lol:

Back to resale value a minute, I've come up with a hypothetical spec for my car and have priced it up based on info Dave has sent me. Spec is the same as the example on his site, but with the following options/changes:

Blue (or possibly candy apple red) with magnolia interior
450bhp 383ci/6.3 litre carburettor Chevy
De Dion/CC-AR chassis
Twin braced roll bars
Headrests mounted to roll bars
Power lock differential
Hood and side screens
Two tone trim/ Leather tunnel top
Aston 3.5" fuel filler recessed in rear wing
Oil cooler (Stainless braided, anodised)
Stainless/aluminium column stalks
Brushed s/steel dash panel + start button + toggle switches

Now, I know what it would cost to build this is based on Dave's price list, and you guys could all find out no doubt :p. But, what I'd be interested to hear is what you would you expect to see a car of that spec built by Dave for sale at in say 3 years & 10k miles time *without* knowing what it would cost to buy brand new. I understand it's subjective, but if you owned the car and you were selling it at that point, what would you reasonably expect to get for it? Or on the flip side, what would you pay for it?

As you can tell, I'm still weighing up trawling ads in the new year and hoping/waiting for a used example that meets my criteria, versus going "sod it", getting Dave to do me one and taking the as yet uncertain initial depreciation hit. Dammit, it's *never* this complicated with regular cars! :lol:

dolphinboy400
13-09-12, 05:53 PM
i would guess anywhere between 28k and 35k depending on when it would be for sale and who was buying it ;) pretty vague but thats the way the market is with these cars IMO

nealgs
13-09-12, 07:02 PM
I'd say that the mileage figure is pretty irrelevant with these cars. It boils down to the build quality and components used at the end of the day.

I'm not sure if that figure in Dave's add is upto date (Dave ??? ) as he mentions SVA still in the page when it's IVA now, but you could probably take £5k-8k off that figure after 3 years?

Be wary of Candy Apple Red - beautiful color, but apparently a right sod to touch up if you get a chip/scratch.

Worth looking at GD's with there gelcoat body finish - from what i've seen, i'd sod the paint job and safe a fair few grand, they can polish up really well.

Gary

britbits
13-09-12, 08:28 PM
Dave's reputation for build Quality is second to none, and as for resale value will go a long way, but every thing is relevant the market place at time of sale and how you have looked after the car (dings and scatcher ect) , pristine in the condition when you recieved delivery i would expect about 10%loss. Dave.

Mario149
13-09-12, 09:23 PM
I'd say that the mileage figure is pretty irrelevant with these cars. It boils down to the build quality and components used at the end of the day.

I'm not sure if that figure in Dave's add is upto date (Dave ??? ) as he mentions SVA still in the page when it's IVA now, but you could probably take £5k-8k off that figure after 3 years?

Be wary of Candy Apple Red - beautiful color, but apparently a right sod to touch up if you get a chip/scratch.

Worth looking at GD's with there gelcoat body finish - from what i've seen, i'd sod the paint job and safe a fair few grand, they can polish up really well.

Gary

Ref GD, all good in principle but the starting price of their MkIII cars ex VAT is still more than the spec above from Dave *inc* VAT which has almost all of his common suggested options/upgrades specified :o

Mario149
13-09-12, 09:25 PM

Gary

Ref GD, all good in principle but the starting price of their MkIII cars ex VAT is still more than the spec above from Dave *inc* VAT which has almost all of his common suggested options/upgrades specified :o

ETA: the £33k figure is correct according to the info Dave sent me the other day

Mario149
13-09-12, 09:34 PM
Also, GD cars only come with LS engines, I have it in my head that I'd want something a bit more old school with carbs. If I wanted an LS engine, I think I'd just go and get myself a Corvette C6 which are fab cars in themselves :)

nealgs
13-09-12, 10:52 PM
i'm sure GD do a carb engine jobby also - was more in thinking of if you are building your own.

either way good luck with your search :D

Gary

KevinW
14-09-12, 12:55 AM
Also, GD cars only come with LS engines, I have it in my head that I'd want something a bit more old school with carbs. If I wanted an LS engine, I think I'd just go and get myself a Corvette C6 which are fab cars in themselves :)

The LS is a popular choice, and GD pioneered the use of them in the UK, but I don't believe they ONLY come with LS engines - ive seen plenty with a variety of different powerplants - SBC, SBF and RV8.

cobracol
14-09-12, 01:27 AM
Hi Mario, you will never nail down an exact price for a particular spec cob, or make, in an aftermarket, far to many variables to take into account, these are cars you buy with your heart, not your head, sorry that probably dosent help you! ;), most if not all current makes can be fitted out old school or fi

dingocooke
14-09-12, 08:26 AM
The LS is a popular choice, and GD pioneered the use of them in the UK, but I don't believe they ONLY come with LS engines - ive seen plenty with a variety of different powerplants - SBC, SBF and RV8.

what he said..plus Lee put a 351C in his, and side pipes! The only old school V8 powerplant Ive not seen in a GD is a big block Ford or Chevrolet; not saying it cant be done GD would have to work that out for you!!

cobracol
14-09-12, 08:50 AM
what he said..plus Lee put a 351C in his, and side pipes! The only old school V8 powerplant Ive not seen in a GD is a big block Ford or Chevrolet; not saying it cant be done GD would have to work that out for you!!]

I thought the old "Pink Performer" GD had an old school big block engine in it, cant remember if it was Chevy or Ford

dingocooke
14-09-12, 09:43 AM
]

I thought the old "Pink Performer" GD had an old school big block engine in it, cant remember if it was Chevy or Ford

dunno, not seen that car in the flesh or photos of the engine; I think the pinkness of it traumatised me!!!! :-) :-0 ;-D

Mario149
14-09-12, 10:34 AM
i'm sure GD do a carb engine jobby also - was more in thinking of if you are building your own.

either way good luck with your search :D

Gary

Thanks Gary. Believe me, there is nothing I would like more than to build my own Cobra. Although I've never done anything like it before, I'm sure I could do a pretty reasonable job as I'm quite practical and when I'm really into something I can be mega anal about it as well :hehe: However, I have neither the garage space (I live in London, rent an underground space for my current car) available nor the patience to wait 9 months+ for it to be finished if I was to build it :(

However, should I ever move out of the big smoke to somewhere where I did have workspace, I'd definitely like to build one (maybe something a bit less expensive to start like a Tiger) in addition to having the Cobra. That way I would have something to build AND something to drive at the same time :)

Mario149
14-09-12, 10:43 AM
Btw, do any of you guys have links to vids of your cars on You Tube? Would be interested to see/hear the variety out there :)

Warren
14-09-12, 06:07 PM
There is quite a few, just do a search. Not all are club members but plenty to look at.

All the V8's sound great, sidepipes or underslungs, if you are going for something that you are planning lots of mileage in then the sidepipes can be a bit intrusive but I wouldn't have mine any other way.

W

Clive
14-09-12, 06:33 PM
10k miles in three years??? I did that in the first year!

Cobra 289s at Le Mans Classic 2008 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaM6rWy52Vs&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL2eZ-X1U354YpTeDyZb1DnA)

Hawk 289 to Le Mans Classic 2010 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKjiRuMe1s&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL2eZ-X1U354YpTeDyZb1DnA)

Silverstone Classic 2009 Cobra Parade Lap - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhbzU4E8ugs)

aaronjb
18-09-12, 10:58 PM
what he said..plus Lee put a 351C in his, and side pipes! The only old school V8 powerplant Ive not seen in a GD is a big block Ford or Chevrolet; not saying it cant be done GD would have to work that out for you!!

As you can imagine, I had that conversation when I was looking at the GD ;) I seem to recall the answer was along the lines of "I can't think why you'd want to stick a big heavy lump up front, but it could be done"..

KevinW
18-09-12, 11:17 PM
did you get to the revival? was hoping to see you there.

aaronjb
19-09-12, 12:40 AM
Yup, see the pics elsewhere :) We just arrived very late on the Saturday thanks to leaving a little later than intended and then getting stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the way in; we ended up pretty much rushing from the car park to the track to try and catch the Barry Sheene memorial trophy race rather than having a leisurely stroll about.. and still missed that race. D'oh.