PDA

View Full Version : Back Again !!

Mabbs
20-10-12, 08:40 PM
Hi All,

As the story goes...... I looked into building my first car about 2.5 years ago and strongly looked at the Cobra recreation - love them for all the same reasons you do :-)

After pricing up a build, which unfortunatly due to my OSD !!, would have cost me well over £30K in parts, which I see is not uncommon. As this was my first build I decided to tame things down a little and opted for an MEV Rocket. Unfortunatly this also cost me nearly £30K to build :rolleyes: - 100% new parts, fully carbon fibre, Rotrex Supercharged etc. Was an epic car producing a dyno'd 309 BHP from a 2ltr Zetec, and weighing 545 Kg, but being an engineer that now sits behind a desk all week this car has now sold after 2 months from new Reg IVA and covering 600 miles (including a track day) and looking for another project.

When I was looking at the Cobra recreations a couple of years ago, I very much liked the AK after visiting them and some others. At the time I could not understand why you would not go the tradional route of halibrands, good old V8 and quality paint work - traditional Cobra.

My question, and shoot me down if you think its definat no no, but I am now thinking about a little modern twist. The basics being an LS3 which I have seen in other Cobra's, multispoke wheels, and a full carbon fibre body, interior, seats etc. I have a 'vision' and I personally think I could get it looking good without hashing the tradition Cobra look.

If their is anyone else who has done someting simular I would love to see some pics or ideas would be great. I work in the composites industry - hence the carbon as a fetish !!

Pic of my first build:

Many thanks

Jon

Purple AK
20-10-12, 08:46 PM
AK are using the LS in a lot of their cars nowadays as are GD. GD also do a carbon body option.

Murray
20-10-12, 08:49 PM
I think that as it will be your Cobra, you build it as you want. There are many variants within the replica Cobra world and yours would be just 1 other.

Steve
21-10-12, 08:08 PM
GD have done full carbon t70 replicas.....and i know the racer is carbon, so it is not new to them....and theyve probably done more LS fits than anyone else, so if you want a blown ls3 carbon car, id look there. i do suspect the budget will get stretched though......

Mabbs
22-10-12, 07:05 AM
Many thanks for the replys so far.

Yes I have seen the t70 carbon car. I supply the company who supply the materials to make GD's carbon and I will be going a different route to manufacture the carbon panles. I will be in the position to gain/make all the carbon components myself, the shell being the biggest problem due to size, but if I can get it to work the finish will be flawless as my MEV Rocket. I will hopefully have help form customers/friends !! Yes the budget...........:confused:

seph
22-10-12, 09:18 AM
Hi All,

As the story goes...... I looked into building my first car about 2.5 years ago and strongly looked at the Cobra recreation - love them for all the same reasons you do :-)

After pricing up a build, which unfortunatly due to my OSD !!, would have cost me well over £30K in parts, which I see is not uncommon. As this was my first build I decided to tame things down a little and opted for an MEV Rocket. Unfortunatly this also cost me nearly £30K to build :rolleyes: - 100% new parts, fully carbon fibre, Rotrex Supercharged etc. Was an epic car producing a dyno'd 309 BHP from a 2ltr Zetec, and weighing 545 Kg, but being an engineer that now sits behind a desk all week this car has now sold after 2 months from new Reg IVA and covering 600 miles (including a track day) and looking for another project.

When I was looking at the Cobra recreations a couple of years ago, I very much liked the AK after visiting them and some others. At the time I could not understand why you would not go the tradional route of halibrands, good old V8 and quality paint work - traditional Cobra.

My question, and shoot me down if you think its definat no no, but I am now thinking about a little modern twist. The basics being an LS3 which I have seen in other Cobra's, multispoke wheels, and a full carbon fibre body, interior, seats etc. I have a 'vision' and I personally think I could get it looking good without hashing the tradition Cobra look.

If their is anyone else who has done someting simular I would love to see some pics or ideas would be great. I work in the composites industry - hence the carbon as a fetish !!

Pic of my first build:

Many thanks

Jon

Jon,

I read the article in CKC about your car. A very nice build and car, glad it sold very quickly and I hope you find your next project soon. Would love to see you do a Cobra, think it would be a very good car.

Paul

BobMin
22-10-12, 09:44 AM
Hi Jon,
Saw the CKC articles about your Rocket, very nice!

You will find that opinion on here is split in to two camps, those who are trying to recreate something authentic to the 60's and those who are happy to go for a more modern interpretation. As others have said, your car, your choice!.

I have recently bought an AK and my intention is to go the LS3 route and I keep having thoughts about subtle tweaks to make to bring it up to date although i will be working with the basic plastic and not carbon!

Having seen what you did with the Rocket, i am looking forward to seeing what you are going to do to a Cobra!

Welcome aboard.

tommy-boy
22-10-12, 11:06 AM
Hi Jon

Im also building an AK and love the carbon fibre looks.

Im in no way shape or form trying to create a replica to fool everyone that its a real car, and i also wanted a carbon fibre dash. I initially started by skinning the supplied dash in the cloth and laminating that. The overall finish was good but heavy due to it being the standard covered again, not that that bothered me as it was for cosmetic reasons only. I have just decided to cover the dash again in a carbon vinyl (Di-noc M3) as i wasn’t 100% happy with my overall finish, due to not having access to professional equipment to aid the process (vacuum chamber etc...)

I now intend to order another dash from AK and get a mould created, allowing me to get a true carbon fibre dash manufactured.... this time with a UV protective resin as so it will not go yellow in the sun.

So if your also intending to do this then keep me posted, i will be happy to help/contribute to getting a carbon fibre dash made, as because now mine is vinyl i feel disappointed that i couldn’t get the finish i wanted.

Tommy

Mabbs
24-10-12, 09:10 PM
Many thanks for the replys :)

Well had a visit to AK this week and again a very nice group of people and very helpfull -many thanks Jon@AK. The cars still look awesome, well finished/assembled so I am still very keen. The carbon body looks possible using the origional tooling, although to do the body is going to be above my skills so may need some professional help !!

I have a had a breif chat with very repuatable carbon fibre supplier/manufacturer who are customers/freinds and we need to re-visit AK to qualify if a solid carbon fibre shell can be done - but looks promising.

Looking further into the build, I also need to decide at what level to purchase the kit - chassis kit, rolling chassis or an in-between ??

I am keen to upgrade the brakes and other than the axels, would like to assemble the rest - any thoughts on the build process would be areciatied - especially the axels. I think the supercharged LS3 is also a must :p

Manyt thanks

BobMin
24-10-12, 11:21 PM
Did you speak to Jon about the big brake option for the Gen II chassis? I am going this route with mine as I do not think much of the single pot sliding caliper from the XJ40.
I did find a U.S. company that did a twin turbo option for the LS3 which would be an interesting alternative to the supercharger.:)

Neil O
31-10-12, 09:36 AM
After talking to Jon "Spikey Hair" Freeman at Exeter Show about the AK demonstrator, I would say you would be best going with the supercharged LS.
After all, he's done all the R&D already. Make use of his knowledge.