PDA

View Full Version : Part build cobra insurance

Ben Vickers
28-10-12, 08:53 PM
Can anyone recommend some insurance for my part build ak cobra? It is about 70% complete at stands at a few £££ so far so am keen to get some insurance.

Any ideas appreciated

seph
28-10-12, 09:08 PM
Ben,

all the usual suspects do it, like Haggerty, Adrian Flux, BB, just to name a few. Looking at your photo the petrol cap will fail IVA, it needs to be facing the nearside windscreen pillar.

Paul

Ben Vickers
28-10-12, 10:06 PM
Still needs tightening up, many thanks Adrian Flux looks good on website, will do soon raround benaround ben

Purple AK
28-10-12, 10:10 PM
Do some research on A Flux on here before you spend any money! ;-)

garyjettrike
28-10-12, 10:27 PM
Ben,

all the usual suspects do it, like Haggerty, Adrian Flux, BB, just to name a few. Looking at your photo the petrol cap will fail IVA, it needs to be facing the nearside windscreen pillar.

Paul
Dosn't matter wich way its pointing as long as it meets the radius requirement

dave
29-10-12, 09:25 AM
Dosn't matter wich way its pointing as long as it meets the radius requirement

Hi Gary.
Some inspectors have a funny way of woring out just where on the body to measure from.
I have seen them use the radius device and then measure from the two contact points. Straight away the distance becomes much bigger when they do it like that as they are now measuring from part way down the outside of the rear wing.
This is all due to a height limit for a fuel cap of 50mm....

.....Don't shoot, I',m just the messenger.

seph
29-10-12, 10:20 AM
Hi Gary.
Some inspectors have a funny way of woring out just where on the body to measure from.
I have seen them use the radius device and then measure from the two contact points. Straight away the distance becomes much bigger when they do it like that as they are now measuring from part way down the outside of the rear wing.
This is all due to a height limit for a fuel cap of 50mm....

.....Don't shoot, I',m just the messenger.

Very correct Dave.

Paul

ryan
29-10-12, 02:44 PM
Depending how long you think it'll take to finish, you might want to consider a policy which converts to "on the road" cover once your build is finished. I went to Blackford Bloor for mine.

if you go this route be realistic about how many miles you think you'll do. My build took a few months longer than i'd planned and i massively over estimated my first year mileage.

I've three months left, over winter, to do another 2500 miles !

Ryan

Cobra fan
29-10-12, 04:08 PM
Hi Ben

I just got mine from MSM. They do build up insurance and then you can convert it to on the road later on. For £25k cover it was £169 for the year.

Anthony

Warren
29-10-12, 07:24 PM
I can't remember exactly what the situation was but I fell out with Flux. It was something to do with a time limit between switching from 'build insurance' and the car hitting the road. I wasn't happy. It wasn't the length of time it took to build it was something in the transitional period when I shipped to AK for completion and the SVA (back then) and a time limit before it transferred between chassis number insurance to reg number insurance.

W

mylesdw
29-10-12, 08:28 PM
Ask your house insurer. When I built my car my house content insurer was happy to put it on the policy and it was quite cheap, about twenty five quid as far as I can remember. They added wording to the policy something like: "also covered is a car under construction in the garage and this will be covered until it gains an MOT certificate"

Oh and yes, avoid Adrian Flux like the plague. They are by far and away the worst company I have ever dealt with.

seph
29-10-12, 08:31 PM
I can't remember exactly what the situation was but I fell out with Flux. It was something to do with a time limit between switching from 'build insurance' and the car hitting the road. I wasn't happy. It wasn't the length of time it took to build it was something in the transitional period when I shipped to AK for completion and the SVA (back then) and a time limit before it transferred between chassis number insurance to reg number insurance.

W

Warren,

you are right, I am with Flux and they kept phoning me for a reg number and I explained the situation that IVA and registering was down to the various departments and nothing I could do and they kept extending mine after speaking with the underwriters and were very understanding.

Paul

Ben Vickers
01-11-12, 10:48 AM
Many thanks, will have a ring around today

StewbieC
01-11-12, 11:23 AM
I had a zero mileage policy that was insured on the chassis number with Hagerty, I added value as the build progressed, mileage when I drove unregistered for a pre IVA Mot and the IVA, and added the reg number once registered. I found the service great. Cost was ca. £90 for the build and now I pay just shy of £200 for £30k agreed value and 3k mileage