PDA

View Full Version : Ford FE

JohnC
11-11-12, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

After much deliberating (and a promotion!) I am now ready for an engine build.

If anyone has or knows of an FE, please let me know.

Thanks

John

FatBoy
11-11-12, 09:25 PM
Are you planning to build the engine yourself or do you want one already built?

Paul

KevinW
11-11-12, 09:53 PM
I think he wants to (re)build one.

John - do you have any preferences on chocie of FE?

used blocks appear on ebay from time to time - usual buyer beware caveats apply.

Alternatively, there is a certain person with a sideoiler block who may be tempted to sell - i expect he may pop up shortly.
Alternatively Aaron on here has a 390 he may want to get rid of (as he now has a 428).
Alternatively, approach Mike Huddart and see if he can help.

hth

kdavies3
12-11-12, 10:09 AM
I've got a pair of ported iron heads available. :D

Lloyd Barnes
12-11-12, 12:18 PM
Hi John

I have a 1963 FE block for sale. It was a 352 block originally with the 4.00" bores. I talked with a couple of guys on the FE forum stateside and they recommended boring it to 4.06" At that bore pistons are easy to come by being a Chevy overbore size (I have quotes for full rotating assemblies from both Flatlander and Brent Lykins). More importantly the bores will clear the larger valve heads such as the Edelbrocks.

The plan was to run the 4.06 bore with a 4.125" stroker crank from Scat to give a displacement of 427 cubic inches. As it stands the block has been rebored, and the decks have been machined straight. Bores still need honing and a final sizing for the pistons. Its had new cam bearings dropped in but I would say these need to come out again as I've also drilled and tapped the oil galleries to fit screw in plugs rather than press fit and forgot to do this before sticking in the bearings. There's a good chance there will be swarf behind the cam bearings so they need to come out to clean out the galleries again.

The mains have been align checked and didn't require align honing. The block has ARP main bearing studs added, & new freeze plugs. It would also come with the front timing cover.

I got the engine at a bargain price so with the machining and parts I've probably still only £500 in it. Yours for what it cost me if you are interested. Will try to stick up some pics later.

Genuine reason for sale :-)

JohnC
12-11-12, 08:01 PM
Hi Lloyd,

You sound like my man.

PM

Cheers

John

Lloyd Barnes
13-11-12, 04:59 PM
Here's some pics John. Block code is C3AE-H. Along with the block is the cam thrust plate (fitted to front) as well as the original pulley and a few bits and bobs.

JohnC
01-12-12, 09:53 PM
Hi Lloyd,

All settled into its new home, final hone and hot tank booked for afer the final oiling mods, looks great.

The Crendon looked stunning, keep the thread updated, be good to see how it comes along.

I am now busily researching all there is to read on FE rebuilds, next stop a visit to Mr Kerr!

Thanks

John

Lloyd Barnes
01-12-12, 11:39 PM
Hi John

it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. I popped the receipt and the responses I got from Brent and Flatlander in the post yesterday. John will be expecting you no doubt as he keeps an eye on the forum. True gent and its always fascinating to see what he has going on in the workshop.

Keep us updated with the FE build. Always nice to see an old motor given a new lease of life. :-)

KevinW
02-12-12, 07:55 PM
Good luck with it John, and see what JK has to say about re-building the FE, especially with ensuring the top end doesnt let go.
I didnt re-build mine in the end, but even discussing spec requires a little but of knowledge.
You can build a track day screamer, or something civilised for the road, but you cant have both!

btw: just to plant a worm in your head: toploader is correct :)

JohnC
02-12-12, 08:23 PM
Hi Kev,

Thanks for the advice, you have cemented my intention to speak to JK sooner rather than later.

I was already of the same opinion on toploader, just not sure I can be as jammy as Lloyd on locating a known good one at such a goid price!

Civilised for the road is my current train of thought, but i have a habit of changing my mind as I was buying a crate 300hp 302w and putting it in an AK!

KevinW
03-12-12, 11:39 AM
Got my toploader, bellhousing and ancillaries as a complete package from Southerm Automotive in the US.
I shared my order with another Crendon customer, as that helped spread the shipping bill. Buit still much cheaper than a tremec.

Your other option is to pick one up on ebay - they pop up from time to time, but you need to get the right one ;) lots of variants.
Rebuild kits are available, or drop it off at a Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club recommended garage for rebuilding.

See my other posts on shipping - dont use the SA shipper!

JohnC
10-02-13, 09:51 PM
HI all,

Slight update,

Now i have finally booked a few days off I am going to take my 352 to Mike H on Friday for the final engineering work.

Call made to JK, no order yet but as you have all said, what a lovely guy and great advice, will book a visit with him soon as well as a trip to see Steve (dingo), small but steady progress!

Once back from Mike, I am sure i will be ordering some shiney bits!

John

Adrian427
03-03-13, 07:00 PM
If anyone interested I'm on the trail of 3 Fe truck engines, I had given up on these engines after they was wrongly identified as 400M engines. Anyway from infomation I have they are looking to be 390 extra webbed with cross bolt bosses 105 style blocks. These are good mainly because of there increased cylinder wall thickness from casting core shift. I've heard of these blocks being bored to 4.250 with at least 120 thou left . Anyway I'm just waiting to hear back from the people involved.

JohnC
03-03-13, 08:46 PM
They sound ideal, I am sure with some engine numbers confirmed and some pictures there will be takers for these.

Keep us posted.

John

aaronjb
03-03-13, 10:25 PM
Someone, not so long ago, was specifically looking for a 390 truck engine, I think.. if only I could remember who?

KevinW
04-03-13, 10:02 AM
.... may be Dingo? ;)

dingocooke
04-03-13, 05:04 PM
.... may be Dingo? ;)

Nope not me!

kitcarsareus
04-03-13, 07:09 PM
If anyone interested I'm on the trail of 3 Fe truck engines, I had given up on these engines after they was wrongly identified as 400M engines. Anyway from infomation I have they are looking to be 390 extra webbed with cross bolt bosses 105 style blocks. These are good mainly because of there increased cylinder wall thickness from casting core shift. I've heard of these blocks being bored to 4.250 with at least 120 thou left . Anyway I'm just waiting to hear back from the people involved.

Hi Adrian

We would be interested (well depending on the timing,just put a hefty cheque to JK ;))

According to my calcs with a 4 1/4 inch stroke that would give 480 odd cubes lovely :cool:

KevinW
04-03-13, 07:51 PM
Nope not me!

.... thought i might have got a little nibble then, oh well, must try harder.......

KevinW
04-03-13, 07:54 PM
Guys, have at least a cursory chat with Mike first.
Remember, 390s are the commonest FE series ol' truck engine.