PDA

View Full Version : spare wheel well

steve_h
21-11-12, 11:48 PM
Guys

I saw an article alittle while ago on fitting a 289 spare wheel well could someone measure the depth and width as I might try it on the sumo

Thanks

Clive
22-11-12, 12:42 AM
Hi Steve,
What size of wheels do you have. The Hawk 289 wheel well is hexagonal in shape and sits between the rear chassis outriggers, and just big enough to take the standard 289 wire wheel.

steve_h
22-11-12, 09:42 AM
Hi Clive

Ive got 17" with low profile tyres

I thought it may not fit this combination but could be useful space anyway if its too small for the wheel, and if it dosent foul on speed bumps etc as the pilgrim floor is fairly low

Steve

craggle
22-11-12, 01:31 PM
The Southern Roadcraft cars used to have a wheel well in the floor but it was like a semi circular recess in the back of the floor so the wheel could be stood upright in the boot up against the fuel tank that was over the axle.

Not sure if anyone ever used it or tried a wheel in it for size?

Craig.

Clive
22-11-12, 04:27 PM
The 289 wheel well is 680mm over the flats of the hexagon and 750mm across the diagonals. It is 135mm deep.

steve_h
22-11-12, 04:54 PM
Many thanks Clive

I will have a measure and see if it will work

BLOKE
22-11-12, 05:57 PM
This one comes up every so often, and it is floored, as if the puncture is in the rear wheel, the space has to be able to accommodate that wider wheel.
i have settled for the following, no spare, a decent 12 volt electric pump in the boot, as if it is a slower puncture, you can keep pumping it up until you get to a garage, and one of those foam aerosols in the boot just in case it is a faster puncture, I have done 20.000 miles in my Rroadcraft now many of them abroad and not had to test it yet.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

dingocooke
24-01-13, 11:32 AM
Just saw this older thread, Steve, if youre still looking, RAM used to have a glass fibre wheel well that would take a full size rear wheel in th eupright position; I am sure Cheng could sell you one!!

steve_h
24-01-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks Steve

The car arrived back from the paintshop yesterday so I can start on the long list of "improvements" I've thought of while its been away, this being one of the many!

Steve

dingocooke
24-01-13, 02:38 PM
Thanks Steve

The car arrived back from the paintshop yesterday so I can start on the long list of "improvements" I've thought of while its been away, this being one of the many!

Steve

Nice one, bet youre keen to get stick in then; a newly painted car is a fun thing to finish!! You could also try ex Ram man Roger Klimcke for the wheel well; he's old school helpful (based near Stanstead); I bought a few things off him for my RAM, and he is very knowledgeable on both Rams and Dax's as well as the real thing Roger Klimcke build Cobra Tojeiro Kamala replica kits cars trackside assistance Essex UK (http://www.klimcke-racing.com/)

kitcarsareus
24-01-13, 04:00 PM
what about something like this? Ride On UK (http://www.ride-on-uk.com/?gclid=CMC27JCtgbUCFTDMtAodUV8AHg)

cheers

Clarkson
24-01-13, 08:19 PM
I've got one on my car Steve, it takes a full size jag wheel/tyre. Never carry one tho.

bitsilly
16-07-14, 06:30 PM
AFAIK, that gell stuff has two problems.
People hate to have to repair a tyre which has it, and it does not work on sidewall punctures.
Every bloody puncture I get is on the side wall!

sumoboy
10-09-14, 07:26 PM
Steve,

Did you get any further with this mod?

I have had two recent side wall punctures, one on my van and one on the family car......I am just waiting for the Cobra next!

Spray or electric pumps would not of helped with either!

I was thinking of a Ford space saver wheel might fit.....I think my PCD is 5 x 112 (1990 Ford Granada donor)

Suggestions?

steve_h
10-09-14, 10:26 PM
not done anything with it yet but its still a possibility

my thought is to fit a space saver after I measure the height of the floor when parked next to a speed bump

sumoboy
02-10-14, 11:17 PM
Side pipes fixed.

I tried my Father's Ford Galaxy 2001 Alloy on the Cobra today and all the studs fitted ok but the bore (centre hole) was not large enough.

The Galaxy bore is 57.1mm and I think I need a 63.4mm bore!

I have done some 'online' research and found that some Merc's and Audi's have a 5 x 112 PCD.....