PDA

View Full Version : Dip tube sender for an AK

TINKA
25-11-12, 12:06 PM
Due to the fact that the fuel gauge is so inaccurate on 99% (Purple AK being the exception :p:wink:) of AK we have found a tube sender which could answer all the problems, Merlin are selling a 166mm VDO for £71-84p, and we might be able to get a bit off this if we get a group purchase together. There will be a bit of work required as the fixing is 5 hole and not the 6 hole that AK use but this is not really a big issue plus you might have to make up a small circuit so that it will match the gauge but someone on here will be able to design something to solve this. If you are interested just let us know and we will sort out something to suit all. I guess if other people want ones of a different length this will help so feel free to ask.

SIEMENS VDO - VDO DIP TYPE FUEL SENDER 166.0 - 224082008018 (http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6121/VDO-DIP-TYPE-FUEL-SENDER-166.0mm-LONG/product_info.html)

Purple AK
25-11-12, 09:49 PM
Due to the fact that the fuel gauge is so inaccurate on 99% (Purple AK being the exception :p:wink:) of AK we have found a tube sender which could answer all the problems, Merlin are selling a 166mm VDO for £71-84p, and we might be able to get a bit off this if we get a group purchase together. There will be a bit of work required as the fixing is 5 hole and not the 6 hole that AK use but this is not really a big issue plus you might have to make up a small circuit so that it will match the gauge but someone on here will be able to design something to solve this. If you are interested just let us know and we will sort out something to suit all. I guess if other people want ones of a different length this will help so feel free to ask.

SIEMENS VDO - VDO DIP TYPE FUEL SENDER 166.0 - 224082008018 (http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6121/VDO-DIP-TYPE-FUEL-SENDER-166.0mm-LONG/product_info.html)
I'VE never run out of fuel though Martin ;-) Stoneleigh 2009 was it?

TINKA
25-11-12, 10:40 PM

Sorry Chris no idea what your on about :oops: :oops:

Gav
26-11-12, 03:38 PM
Hello,
I have already ordered a 190mm one, and will make up a spacer flange (i think my tank is a little deeper than norm....)
Interested in the circuit though....
Regards
Gav

sid1
30-11-12, 12:42 PM
dip tubes go up and down the same as normal floats and so will your guage
i know i had one some also only read by 1/4 tanks so suddenly drop quater tank at time
best to move sender to center of tank inside triangular internal baffle then sponge fill outer section

maxGD059
30-11-12, 02:18 PM

I think Tinks still holds the record for the lowest mpg ever recorded -or not recorded in his case :wink:

TINKA
30-11-12, 03:31 PM
dip tubes go up and down the same as normal floats and so will your guage
i know i had one some also only read by 1/4 tanks so suddenly drop quater tank at time
best to move sender to center of tank inside triangular internal baffle then sponge fill outer section

If you had one that did then there was something wrong with it as they don't at all. The idea of a tube sender is they have a small hole at the top and one at the bottom so that petrol can only get in and out slowly to stop this problem .

TINKA
30-11-12, 03:32 PM
I think Tinks still holds the record for the lowest mpg ever recorded -or not recorded in his case :wink:

Thanks Richard :mad:

windsor400
30-11-12, 03:55 PM
Thanks Richard :mad:

Hi Martin,
Lots of comments about the capability of Dip Sender. but not much interest in our Group buy,
Only 1 degree in my garage so work has come to a stop.
Sitting indoors with lots of tea and biscuits!!!!!
Cheers,
Alan

TINKA
30-11-12, 04:12 PM
Yes looks like a waste of time sorry to delay you, might as well go ahead and order yours. Won't be doing mine till next year when I swap my diff for a different ratio.

seph
02-12-12, 07:03 PM
Yes looks like a waste of time sorry to delay you, might as well go ahead and order yours. Won't be doing mine till next year when I swap my diff for a different ratio.

Martin,

what you ratio you swapping out and then going to put in?

Paul

windsor400
02-12-12, 07:06 PM
Hi Martin,
What is the reason you are changing your diff ratio?
Is it for top end speed or to beat those boy racers away from the lights?
Not many takers at the moment!!!!
Alan

TINKA
02-12-12, 11:01 PM
Martin,

what you ratio you swapping out and then going to put in?

Paul

Hi Martin,
What is the reason you are changing your diff ratio?
Is it for top end speed or to beat those boy racers away from the lights?
Not many takers at the moment!!!!
Alan

At the moment I have a 3.31 in and I intend to put in a 2.88. Despite all the stuff said on here the difference in speed at 5,500rpm is 6mph in first, 8mph in second, and 14mph in third. Unlike some I actually use my car having now covered over 40,000 miles and want a bit better economy on long runs. I don't think the ratio swap will have too much effect setting off in fact it might help as it could be easier to put the power down. Spoke to someone who had this ratio with a 350 Chevy and he said it drove great so I am going to see how I get on. He also got just over 30mpg with this ratio and a six speed box and an LS6 at the Classic this year. I'll let you know

windsor400
03-12-12, 06:29 AM
At the moment I have a 3.31 in and I intend to put in a 2.88. Despite all the stuff said on here the difference in speed at 5,500rpm is 6mph in first, 8mph in second, and 14mph in third. Unlike some I actually use my car having now covered over 40,000 miles and want a bit better economy on long runs. I don't think the ratio swap will have too much effect setting off in fact it might help as it could be easier to put the power down. Spoke to someone who had this ratio with a 350 Chevy and he said it drove great so I am going to see how I get on. He also got just over 30mpg with this ratio and a six speed box and an LS6 at the Classic this year. I'll let you know

Hi Martin,
So that 2.88 will give you better fuel economy?, what is the increase in speed and the lower rpm in 4th and 5th?
this sounds like a good idea would be interested in this. only trouble is doesn't the body have to come off to remove said diff?
What are you doing out of bed at that ungodly hour sending e-mails?
Alan

TINKA
03-12-12, 12:04 PM
Hi Martin,
So that 2.88 will give you better fuel economy?, what is the increase in speed and the lower rpm in 4th and 5th?
this sounds like a good idea would be interested in this. only trouble is doesn't the body have to come off to remove said diff?
Alan

I will have a look when I get home and post it up. If I could work out how to copy the table without it loosing format I would but it doesn't make sense when I attach it.

Bit of a night bird so always up late ;-)

seph
03-12-12, 01:12 PM

Martin,

mine has got it's 3rd diff in. Originally had a 3.54, then a 2.88 and now a 3.058. This was all prior to it being on the road, glad I have the 3.058, it is still rapid and great on a run.

Paul

TINKA
04-12-12, 12:00 AM
Hi Martin,
Alan

Hi Alan sorry it is a bit late but my little girl got hold of my Lap top and broke the network cable and socket in this PC only just got it all up and running again. If it has worked you will see from the attached document what the differences are for the 3.33 , 3.08 and the 2.88. To be honest I can’t wait to get it swapped and see how well/poor it goes. No problem changing it have had to do it when the original one I fitted which Wards had looked at proved to be totally crap so I fitted one which Russell Ram had performed his magic on.

Martin,

mine has got it's 3rd diff in. Originally had a 3.54, then a 2.88 and now a 3.058. This was all prior to it being on the road, glad I have the 3.058, it is still rapid and great on a run.

Paul

Hi Paul, yes I have had to change it once not really looking forward to doing it again but will be glad when it is done. glad to hear you are happy with your ratio what sort of mpg do you get on a run ?

TINKA
04-12-12, 12:15 AM
No sorry it hasn't worked :cry:

At 5,500 rpm the difference in speed is 39 against 45 in 1st, 60 against 68 in 2nd, 94 against 108 in 3rd, 131 against 151 in 4th, and 156 against 179 in 5th. So 2nd will get you to the limit of legal limit and 3rd will go way beyond. Guess I am slowing down a bit now but I do enjoy having a license. :twisted: :twisted:

seph
04-12-12, 06:50 PM
Hi Alan sorry it is a bit late but my little girl got hold of my Lap top and broke the network cable and socket in this PC only just got it all up and running again. If it has worked you will see from the attached document what the differences are for the 3.33 , 3.08 and the 2.88. To be honest I can’t wait to get it swapped and see how well/poor it goes. No problem changing it have had to do it when the original one I fitted which Wards had looked at proved to be totally crap so I fitted one which Russell Ram had performed his magic on.

Hi Paul, yes I have had to change it once not really looking forward to doing it again but will be glad when it is done. glad to hear you are happy with your ratio what sort of mpg do you get on a run ?

Martin,

not really done any calculations on mpg usage, just enjoying it at the minute. I have only done 2 lengthy runs probably120 mile round triprs and even then the right foot was a bit keen:D

Paul