PDA

View Full Version : Ak cobra

Richard1977
16-12-12, 02:49 PM
Hi all I've seen front and rear axels suspension with disks on sub frame off of a jag xj40 for £100 each they are from a 1990 reg 4.0 auto jag. Would these be suitable for a ak cobra and is that a good price thanks richard

cobracol
16-12-12, 03:24 PM
Hi Richard, That sounds very reasonable to me and yes they should be correct for AK2, be aware though for the legit reg bit, you also need the logbook, to prove that that particular car has been scrapped, and not just nicked off someones drive

Richard1977
16-12-12, 03:42 PM
Thanks try are like a eBay sale so not sure about getting the log book I was just abit concerned because if u but them from ak ok they are recon but they want about £2500 for them. These jig gt be to cheap. Also if I couldn't get the log book would that mean I won't be able to register the end cobra?

dave
16-12-12, 03:57 PM
£2500 for a set of recon axles ready to fit is not a bad price to be fair.
there is a lot of work and will be some seriously rusted bolts and broken parts what will need to be replaced.
You will save upto a grand by doing them yourself, but there is a lot of very messy work.

cobracol
16-12-12, 03:58 PM
up to you of course, but the cost of refurbing the axles is quite pricey anyway, im sure someone will have a total cost for fully refurbing a pair of axles, but id be suprised if it was much less than 1.5k, dont forget the bods from DVLA can also read this post, so yes you need the appropriate paperwork, or you could end up with a Q plate

craggle
16-12-12, 04:26 PM
I thought you were looking at Pilgrim's Richard. Budget had an increase has it?

Craig.

seph
16-12-12, 04:27 PM
In 2009 I refurbed my axles and including the cost of the axles and having the diff rebuilt with new bearings etc and calipers done by Wards my total bill was £1200 that included shot blasting and powder coating, you could knock off a bit for that if you just paint them.

Paul

Richard1977
16-12-12, 04:41 PM
Thanks mate I don't mind striping them down myself and cleaning up I can shot blast . I would want the diff refurbed professionally . Is the rest off the work really bush replacement ? On the ak page it says some of the parts are exchange so sounds like if we did these one we would still have to buy some from ak ?

Richard1977
16-12-12, 04:43 PM
Just looking craig not decided totally yet. But possibly swaying towards ak.

KevinW
16-12-12, 04:44 PM
Richard - did you see the bit about logbook???
No logbook = Q-plate.

cobracol
16-12-12, 04:54 PM
cost me well over £1500 to buy and refurb, excluding paint, grease, oil, and special tools ect. 8 years ago!, and if i did it again i would buy already done, but i also understand 1k is a lot of money, as i said previously difficult choices have to be made to stay on a budget.

cobracol
16-12-12, 05:22 PM
Thanks mate I don't mind striping them down myself and cleaning up I can shot blast . I would want the diff refurbed professionally . Is the rest off the work really bush replacement ? On the ak page it says some of the parts are exchange so sounds like if we did these one we would still have to buy some from ak ?

IIRC if you buy refurbed package from AK no exchange needed as that is part of the price, you would need to check (sorry if that is incorrect), but normally you send your own parts to exchange for the modified parts that are in with the price of the kit

seph
16-12-12, 05:22 PM
Col,

I stand corrected the £1200 was without the cost of the axles it should have been £1500

Paul

Roger Shackleton
16-12-12, 05:28 PM
Richard

In 2009 I paid £500 for a pair of axels from Simply Performance, they are on the AK list of suppliers.

I did the refurbishing, with parts from Ward Engineering, parts were about £500.00,I painted all in black hammerite.
Its an awful job, but you will save a good bit of money.

Roger

BobMin
16-12-12, 07:07 PM
Richard,

If you go for getting your own axles then some of the parts are modified on an exchange basis by AK. Your chassis is delivered with the modified parts as required and you then return your old dirty bits! There are still all the other bits like callipers and hubs that you will need to attend to on your own.

As Col said, if you go the complete refurbished set from AK then you get all the parts, including modifications ready to go, so no exchange required.