PDA

View Full Version : LS or not

Richard1977
06-01-13, 05:40 PM
Having now chosen the ak and after my vist yesterday I want to ask a question. If money didn't come into it and you could just have one now would you choose the normal chevy lump or would you have the LS ? Yesterday I was certain I wanted a Chevy with all the chrome that gose with it nowi have seen the LS aswell and I'm not sure. So if it was free what would you pick ?

MattS6
06-01-13, 05:50 PM
Old school for me. Thats part of what a Cobra is.

tosspot
06-01-13, 05:51 PM
Richard,

LS without a doubt

Brian

Roger Shackleton
06-01-13, 05:54 PM
An LS set up with all that goes with it will cost typicaly 9k. Personaly if money was no object, I would still go old school for the simplicity of it, not to mention the looks. when you look under a Cobra bonnet you expect to see a big carb and air filter not a big lump of plastic.

TINKA
06-01-13, 06:05 PM
If money was not an issue LS any time after all you can fit a different intake to get a more authentic look. Otherwise it would have to be a FORD of course.

Richard1977
06-01-13, 06:06 PM
2 1 to the old school chevy so far must admitt I do think I agree lets see out of 10

Richard1977
06-01-13, 06:07 PM
2/2 it's close

Happy Jim
06-01-13, 06:09 PM
LS it's lighter (and some other good stuff)
Jim

Purple AK
06-01-13, 06:16 PM
Old School (Ford) here (or should that be, just old!) ;-) I seem to be able to get LS type economy and reliability from mine if driven sensibly, so I can never see the need to complicate things. Each to theres.

dobbo1969
06-01-13, 06:22 PM
All depends on your skill level. If you want to have a nice simple straight forward engine with fuel system go for the Chevy. If you can understand all the fuel injection and ECM units then of course go for the LS engine.

cobracol
06-01-13, 06:55 PM
had this conversation many times before, im happy with my more traditional look, money no object, id be happiest with traditional Ford 427 side oiler, but in a real cob,

TINKA
06-01-13, 07:26 PM
One more thing I would add is if you intend to do any track days the car will handle so much better with an LS. I used to have a RV8 in mine when I first did it and did a track day at Spa and had a fantastic day, went back a few years later after fitting my 351W and it was nothing like as good on the corners although pulled a lot better on the straights.

nealgs
06-01-13, 07:53 PM
old school for me too - ditto Cobracols reply :D

Clarkson
06-01-13, 07:57 PM
Old skool with efi throttle bodies, I've just doubled your budget!!

Shame I can't post up a pic to show you.

garyjettrike
06-01-13, 08:08 PM
As Dobbo said it depends on your own skill level with electronics ,if i had to sort it out my self I think I would have gone for a carburettor on a big block , but the HP potential of the LS engine and the low weight and good economy are not to be sneered at ,but with an old engine you don't need cats easier for IVA, THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT I DON'T NO WHAT I WANT.

david hemmings
06-01-13, 08:09 PM
I did a lot of thinking , spent ages trying to work out how to fit a new mustang engine and box then decided was too tight so looked at the super harged jag v8 then decided that wasnt going to fit went looking at the alloy ls chevys then looked at a few finished cars and decided had to go old school look so much better in a cobra soooo now got a fully rebuilt 350 chevy small block with a holly on top :). If money wasnt important think would go for a big block ford fe though.

Clarkson
06-01-13, 08:23 PM
LS is a lovely engine, but just too refined for a cobra, guess you could fit a cam to give it a little lope on idle, but you will need cats in the exhs.

You can barely here them idling in a GD. LOL

Happy Jim
06-01-13, 09:32 PM
LS is a lovely engine, but just too refined for a cobra, guess you could fit a cam to give it a little lope on idle, but you will need cats in the exhs.

You can barely here them idling in a GD. LOL

Oh you sooo need to listen to mine :-). No cats, underslungs with center box only and a nice lumpy cam - heaven ;-)

Lloyd Barnes
06-01-13, 09:49 PM
This is a bit like blondes v brunettes.... Each will be great fun, only you know which you prefer ;-)

however of course as any sensible red blooded male will tell you... carbs are best.... :mrgreen:

Purple AK
06-01-13, 10:05 PM
This is a bit like blondes v brunettes.... Each will be great fun, only you know which you prefer ;-)

however of course as any sensible red blooded male will tell you... carbs are best.... :mrgreen:Put another way...We all need something to twiddle with! Not everyone wants to upload from a laptop ;-)

v8pete
06-01-13, 10:06 PM
For me, it's old school all the way! And it doesn't have anything to do with skill level, as I'm an electronics design guy in the day job. I'd much rather open the bonnet on a Cob and see a nice carb setup than a big plastic cover and a bunch of injectors and wires. After all, isn't that what its all about?

steve_h
06-01-13, 10:50 PM
Old school (with throttle bodys if i could explane it in wife money)

Richard1977
07-01-13, 06:03 AM
Looks like old school s winning but fairly close

BobMin
07-01-13, 08:51 AM
Not so much old school as modern polytechnic!!

Richard1977
07-01-13, 05:43 PM
That really is stunning bob I'd have that in the living room let alone the front of the car but how much?

Clarkson
07-01-13, 05:54 PM
Not so much old school as modern polytechnic!!

I like that option, but you'll still needs cats.

Purple AK
07-01-13, 06:03 PM
I like that option, but you'll still needs cats.Not if it's a pre Aug 95 block you won't. I also believe it's possible to get a carbed motor below the limits anyway! ;-)

BobMin
07-01-13, 06:08 PM
That really is stunning bob I'd have that in the living room let alone the front of the car but how much?

It is from engine factory in US. 610HP $9950. Optional Serpentine kit $2450

Interesting site, worth a nosey around. Chevy Crate Engines, Chevy Performance Engines, GM Performance Engines, 350,502 Big Block, Muscle Car Engines (http://www.enginefactory.com/)

KevinW
07-01-13, 06:10 PM
Money no object:

427 side oiler + injectors to look like quad carb intakes. Simples.

tonym
07-01-13, 06:11 PM
Old school iron block with throttle bodies for me :-)

tonym
07-01-13, 06:13 PM
Put another way...We all need something to twiddle with! Not everyone wants to upload from a laptop ;-)

We know what you leaky bucket boys twiddle with!! And you DOWNload the files, probably from www.leakybucketboysinleather.com :-)

BobMin
07-01-13, 06:26 PM
Not if it's a pre Aug 95 block you won't. I also believe it's possible to get a carbed motor below the limits anyway! ;-)
Certainly not pre 95 Chris. It is an LS3 under all the polish!!

Purple AK
07-01-13, 06:40 PM
We know what you leaky bucket boys twiddle with!! And you DOWNload the files, probably from www.leakybucketboysinleather.com (http://www.leakybucketboysinleather.com) :-)Sorry Tone your link doesn't work? Maybe you've exceeded their limit for them? :p

tonym
07-01-13, 06:49 PM
Sorry Tone your link doesn't work? Maybe you've exceeded their limit for them? :p

Actually Chris, it was something I just made up! Interesting that you clicked on the link though, guess I wasn't far out.................... :-) :-)

Purple AK
07-01-13, 06:54 PM
Actually Chris, it was something I just made up! Interesting that you clicked on the link though, guess I wasn't far out.................... :-) :-)I was just checking the advancement of your "little problem" mate ;-)

Clarkson
07-01-13, 07:26 PM
We know what you leaky bucket boys twiddle with!! And you DOWNload the files, probably from www.leakybucketboysinleather.com :-)

Leaky bucket boys......... Haha pmsl!!!

Clarkson
07-01-13, 07:44 PM
I also believe it's possible to get a carbed motor below the limits anyway! ;-)

Yes not problem with that engine if you keep it stock.

mark
07-01-13, 11:33 PM
old school fer me and big cubes to boot oh ye

hifihedgehog
08-01-13, 12:00 PM
heavy and inefficient blob of iron gets my vote, you've got something to blame when golfs and meganes etc leave you for dead on twisty roads.

Richard1977
08-01-13, 12:18 PM
Sound like you are talking from experance there ?

TINKA
08-01-13, 12:31 PM
heavy and inefficient blob of iron gets my vote, you've got something to blame ywhen golfs and meganes etc leave you for dead on twisty roads.

Hence my point about how much better the car will perform / handle with the lighter LS engine.

hifihedgehog
08-01-13, 01:10 PM
Sound like you are talking from experance there ?

Not in mine (as its not finished yet) but in one I hired to drive around peak district, snake pass etc. I could also blame unfamiliar roads, random sheep on roads, patches of road that weren't desert-dry, and of course my cack handed driving.

I know my engine choice leaves me with less-than-optimal handling but I would have built something else if I wanted to skip gracefully round corners.

And don't say that something else would be cobra with an LS!

Dave

TonyD
08-01-13, 06:24 PM
I'd go with the LexuS one.

Cheers,

Tony

kdavies3
08-01-13, 07:41 PM
Well done Tony you waited 3 pages before throwing that in. :p

TonyD
08-01-13, 08:10 PM
Well done Tony you waited 3 pages before throwing that in. :p

I don't like to disappoint my fans............:D

Cheers,

Tony

Chimeara
08-01-13, 08:18 PM
Having owned driven and built both I would say LS gets my vote and when I finally build the one that I know il be keeping it will be supercharged aswell. Fitted with the OMEX kit there is no reason to ever have to play around with it again so no techy stuff to worry about and to be honest if you can work an I phone then the OMEX computer interface MAP3000 is no harder to get your head around. With all the blingy bits available for the LS theres no reason why you cant have the whores handbag look under the lid.

30mpg, bullet proof reliabilty, no unburnt fuel odoured smelling clothes, no kicking back on starters, no rattley tappets or lash adjustment, longer oil change intervals need I give anymore reasons.

I guess its like saying shall i burn my bread over an open fire or shall I simply put it in the toaster. You get the same job just one does it better, quicker and it tastes a whole lot nicer. The Toaster being the LS3 in this comparison.

Of course this is just my own opinion. Please note no Iron blocks were harmed in the writing of this post.

Purple AK
08-01-13, 08:28 PM
You've obviously never tasted open fire toast mate ;-) When I worked in a foundry I always took cheese sarnies in the winter! That's what toasting forks were invented for!

cobracol
08-01-13, 09:55 PM
Quote>30mpg, bullet proof reliabilty, no unburnt fuel odoured smelling clothes, no kicking back on starters, no rattley tappets or lash adjustment, longer oil change intervals need I give anymore reasons. <Quote

No! Im bored enough thanks!;) your average vw golf will give you all these things too! :D

david hemmings
08-01-13, 10:17 PM
Shouldnt cobras be totally impractical cars, not that comfy noisy n smell of petrol , isnt that why we all want one :)

tonym
08-01-13, 10:33 PM
Shouldnt cobras be totally impractical cars, not that comfy noisy n smell of petrol , isnt that why we all want one :)

My cobra is very practical, thank you! Plenty of room in the boot for two people to have a camping holiday in Europe, comfortable enough to drive to Europe and not ache, it is noisy though :-P

Chimeara
09-01-13, 07:32 AM
The LS is the same car still just better. It's equally as noisy as you have to meet the same IVA noise level but goes a hell of a lot better. Certainly different to a VW golf but I guess that comes down to how the driver uses it and not the car itself.

Roger Shackleton
09-01-13, 09:19 AM
Old school. Looks better, sounds better, considerably cheeper to install, (with the small mileage we generally do,I doubt you woud ever recover yor initial outlay), don't need to carry a myriad of expensive sensors for when something goes wrong, don't go into 'Limp Mode' for trivial reasons, don't need a laptop or have a degree in electronics. Isn't the raw simplicty of the Original the reason we build these things ! If I wanted all this modern electronic technology I would ave bought a BMW.

We could argue this till the cows come home. It's a personal choice. I personaly detest the modern Eurobox and thier ECU's,these things over the years have cost me a small fortune .

cobracol
09-01-13, 10:31 AM
Ditto!, My Point exactly! Roger

david hemmings
09-01-13, 07:05 PM
What i meant really is a cobra in the real world cant ever be called a practical comfortable car! We dont want them like that either, yes it will do lots of things ie take you across europe full of camping gear :) i would love to do that with mine 1 day but whatever way you look at it most modern euro boxes would do it with more economy better comfort and more room BUT its the driving experience and the fun of it most would prefer to do it in a cobra i know i would:) open top big v8 up front a glorious soundtrack:) a proper iconic drivers car:)

ajcav86
03-02-13, 10:18 AM
You can have the best of both worlds! Dart do a small block chevy 427 that fits chevy 350 mounts. It has the old school looks but new school advantages, can make mega bhp, all the handling advantages of a light small block and the driving advantages of a big block bore! Check out this article about why you might want one over an LS:
Dart SHP 427 Small Block Engine - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1111phr_dart_shp_427_small_block_engine/viewall.html)

I have a 383 for test but will eventually move to one of these with the borla/TWM fuel injection 8 stack throttle bodies!!

Purple AK
03-02-13, 06:02 PM
You can have the best of both worlds! Dart do a small block chevy 427 that fits chevy 350 mounts. It has the old school looks but new school advantages, can make mega bhp, all the handling advantages of a light small block and the driving advantages of a big block bore! Check out this article about why you might want one over an LS:
Dart SHP 427 Small Block Engine - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1111phr_dart_shp_427_small_block_engine/viewall.html)

I have a 383 for test but will eventually move to one of these with the borla/TWM fuel injection 8 stack throttle bodies!!
Indeed. In fact if you really want to do it properly, they do a SBF block that be built to 427. Great if you are retro fitting, but a pain in a new build as it's effectively a new engine as far as VOSA and DLVA are concerned, so it would need to meet "new engine" emissions limits for IVA and subsequent MOT's. As you said.

Mike Read
19-02-13, 02:41 PM
Add my vote to the LS.

As to the comment about how quiet they are ... mine failed IVA twice on noise at 105db and then 101db. Eventually got through at 98db!

kdavies3
20-02-13, 08:18 AM
Hi Mike. how's life down under?
Did you sell the Dax or take it with you in the end?

StewbieC
20-02-13, 08:26 AM
My vote is split:
Old school authentic looking replica = Old school under the bonnet.
Cobra "Interpretation" = LS under the bonnet.

Broxy
20-02-13, 08:46 AM
Old school for me. I have only just bought mine, and having seen the LS I did not even consider it from an emotional point of view. Maybe I will come to regret that 'emotion' in time to come, but I kind of like that unburnt fuel smell in my nostrels. The Cobra I bought for my emotional and sensory needs, my practical needs are met by the two German cars on the drive!! Angus.

Cobra fan
20-02-13, 10:10 AM
Old school for me too. I saw AK's demonstrator with the LS in. I wanted to open my bonet and see all the shiny bits.

Anthony

KevinW
20-02-13, 10:46 AM
the last few posts sum it up for me.
if you want clean delivery, good mpg and an engine that is probably best hidden away under a plastic cover: LS.

as other have said, a good 1/2 way house imho is one of those injection systems that look like carbs, like Mr Craggle has - great looks and has the advantages of EFI. if i had a few extra £k lying around thats what id go for, but only as a retro-fit, as id want t drive my car first for a bit, and feel the difference of the extra investment.

all depends how much complexity you want to pay for/struggle with. Flaps and springs are always going to be easer to set up, look greart, but will be a rougher ride, give worse mpg, less fine control, etc etc, thats why some of us like 'em.

Highlander
20-02-13, 12:33 PM
I'd go with the LexuS one.

Cheers,

Tony

TeeHee :lol:;)

garyjettrike
20-02-13, 08:40 PM
I love em especially when supercharged

BLOKE
21-02-13, 09:35 AM
For me it had to be as close to Shelby as possible, So I used a Ford 351 Windsor, Re built it with Edlebrock Performer R.P.M. package, you cant get that sound out of a Chevy.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

volospian
22-02-13, 11:29 AM
... and an engine that is probably best hidden away under a plastic cover: LS.

You don't have to have an ugly LS engine. I am planning to relocate the coils to the rear of the heads and paint my inlet manifold. The coils are then hidden away behind the engine and all you see are the usual HT leads going to the plugs. I'm not going for these colours, but this is an example of how you can clean up an LS engine....

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/images/engine%20shot.jpg

Bannon
22-02-13, 11:52 AM
Will someone please tell me - What the hell is an LS????? Yes, I really don't know.

volospian
22-02-13, 12:25 PM
The LS series of engines are (were) the "next generation" of small block V8 chevrolet engines, designed in the mid 90's. It's not really an evolution of the original SBC, but a "clean sheet" design, although it still uses a pushrod design. However, this is not a bad thing as it makes it a lot narrower than OHC designs and therefore they fit into more vehicles, making them ideal "modern" engines for use in kit cars, or engine swaps. Most are all alloy blocks (except some truck engines, I think). You'll maybe be more familiar with terms such as LS1, LS6, LS3, etc. and are used in a whole range of Chevy vehicles.

For more info, GM LS engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine)

Bannon
22-02-13, 01:02 PM
Thanks for that info - now I understand. It sounds like a great engine - narrow, light, modern. I can see the attraction of having one under the bonnet of a Cobra, etc., but I quite look forward to having the lumpy, spitty, coughy old Ford big block firing up in my Dax eventually. Old school for me - this time....

Lloyd Barnes
22-02-13, 02:47 PM
It should definitely look like this :-)

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/LB427SC/ShelbySideoiler_zps62c04589.jpg

volospian
22-02-13, 03:23 PM
I suppose it just depends on what you want out of your car. If you want your "Cobra replica" to be a replica Cobra, to bring you as close as you can get to the original 60's creation, then you really want to go for something from Ford, or failing that, something of the period. If you just want a gorgeous 2 seater sports car then it's whatever is easiest and most cost effective for the owner. Carbs may be simpler in function, but I prefer to know what's going on in my engine and EFI gives me that. To me Carbs are a bit of a dark art while EFI is, for want of a better term, simpler.

tonym
22-02-13, 05:14 PM
I suppose it just depends on what you want out of your car. If you want your "Cobra replica" to be a replica Cobra, to bring you as close as you can get to the original 60's creation, then you really want to go for something from Ford, or failing that, something of the period. If you just want a gorgeous 2 seater sports car then it's whatever is easiest and most cost effective for the owner. Carbs may be simpler in function, but I prefer to know what's going on in my engine and EFI gives me that. To me Carbs are a bit of a dark art while EFI is, for want of a better term, simpler.

Oh dear, now you're in trouble :-) :-)

BobMin
22-02-13, 05:46 PM

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg528/LB427SC/ShelbySideoiler_zps62c04589.jpg

What's that, Black and White !!!:wink:

BobMin
22-02-13, 05:49 PM
Old school for me too. I saw AK's demonstrator with the LS in. I wanted to open my bonet and see all the shiny bits.

Anthony
Back to post #24 then !

cobracol
22-02-13, 06:27 PM

Quote>Oh dear, now you're in trouble :smile: :smile: <Quote LOL!

erm its only simpler, if its running well, and if you understand electronics, auto electrics, and computer software, not to mention fuel pumps ect, each of these items it has to be said, are not unknown to go wrong, and it wont be a case of just getting your screwdriver out! :wink:

KevinW
23-02-13, 12:12 AM

Lloyd has finally provided the correct answer, but -2 points because the block is the wrong colour.

As stated above:

A good cobra replica is a car that tries to replicate a ridiculous piece of Thames Ditton/LA excess from the pre-computer(well almost), pre-internet, pre-3G 60s; a pre-anodine relic before the birth of accountant-driven injection-moulded pleb-form thats served up today. How much of that you can handle is up to you.