PDA

View Full Version : Kenlowe

Neil O
21-01-13, 03:59 PM
Credit where it's due.....

I sent an enquiry email to Kenlowe to check if they still supplied the spec fan I bought when I built the Crendon.
The fan was so good I want to use exactly the same type again with the new build.

About an hour later the guy phones me up, to tell me that the fan is still available and he's sending an email with all the prices and spec sheets etc.
He also informed me of the exact date in 2008 that I bought the last one and exactly what bits I had bought.

Good, old fashioned service.

The 14" twin speed fan I had managed to keep my 7.6l big block cool in any conditions so I can't say enough good things about it.
Kenlowe fans are more expensive than Pacet ones but I've heard of quite a few people with Pacets that have failed.
Quality costs I guess.

Ps. no he didn't offer me a discount for writing this. I'm genuinely impressed with their product and service. :D

tonym
21-01-13, 05:17 PM
Nice to hear it Neil!

dgosumo
21-01-13, 05:25 PM
Agreed very nice to hear. I wonder if they could trace mine which is still going strong from when I put it in my Sumo in 1990!

KevinW
21-01-13, 06:32 PM
as above...and ofcourse Neil , and I beleive the electronic sensor/controller they now have is rather better than the old copper capillary job they used to have.

mylesdw
21-01-13, 07:02 PM
I've always had good dealings with Kenlowe, they're made in a little village near Maidenhead. I bought a V8 special in the early 80s. It had been on fire and the two Kenlowe fans were completely melted - just a blob of plastic. I managed to get the remains off and bought a pair of new blades and those two fan units are still working fine on my Cobra, over 30 years later!

The fan motors are very compact and all the blade units individually balanced according to whether they are sucking or blowing. They seem to be quieter than a lot of other electric fans.

Their engine pre-heater units always seemed like a good idea. I've never used one and I guess the main issue would be finding a place to fit one on a Cobra but never starting an engine cold seems like a good plan.

Clarkson
21-01-13, 07:35 PM
Did he fail to tell you that one large fan is more efficient than two small ones...??

Miket
22-01-13, 10:51 AM
Did he fail to tell you that one large fan is more efficient than two small ones...??

And did you not read Neil's post correctly ;) :D

Neil O
22-01-13, 11:02 AM
Now then children, play nicely. ;)

Mike, I think Dave may have been commenting on Myles' post.

Dave, Myles already had two fans he wanted to repair rather than buy one new one.

Happy to help.

dom
22-01-13, 01:33 PM
as above...and ofcourse Neil , and I beleive the electronic sensor/controller they now have is rather better than the old copper capillary job they used to have.

Not in my experience, I had no end of trouble and went through 3 units before requesting a conversion kit to the old copper tube type. Good fans though and all working fine now. I have to agree that their records are great and they were very helpful dealing with the issues even though it stretched over quite a period of time.

Neil O
22-01-13, 02:18 PM
Not in my experience, I had no end of trouble and went through 3 units before requesting a conversion kit to the old copper tube type. Good fans though and all working fine now. I have to agree that their records are great and they were very helpful dealing with the issues even though it stretched over quite a period of time.
Interesting Dom. Tell us more please.
I was just about to buy the control unit instead of using the two thermo switches welded into the top s/s hose like I had on my last Crendon.
Maybe I should go with what I know works....

dom
22-01-13, 03:33 PM
Interesting Dom. Tell us more please.
I was just about to buy the control unit instead of using the two thermo switches welded into the top s/s hose like I had on my last Crendon.
Maybe I should go with what I know works....

Twas a couple of years back now, I ordered a pair of twin speed fans with the (then new out) control unit, a largely solid state device with a pair of relays and a temperature probe that mounts in the gills of the rad.

All seemed fine at first, went in nicely (watch the temperature probe wire though, it can't be extended, which can limit your choice for mounting the module where you want). Cooling was great and it switched automatically between the Hi Lo speeds as required. Then it started melting the relays. After plenty of to & fro with Kenlowe (very helpful), confirming wiring etc was OK and swapping out modules a couple of times, I asked for and got the old type copper tube type. This came with 4 relays, automatic Lo speed and manual override to Hi speed via a switch.

Touch wood, all has been perfect since. As I now have one relay per fan speed rather than one per pair, I'm assuming this is a big part of it. Possibly if you were just controlling a single fan it would be OK, it was a nice system when it was working....

Neil O
22-01-13, 03:44 PM
Ah I see. Yup, I reckon 2 fans on boost would probably burn the relays out.
They draw quite high amps when their on full chat.
I had two 30amp relays for one fan so mine were ok.
The lower speed was controlled by a thermo switch in the top hose and the boost was manual.
I also had the old style fans in front of the rad on another thermo switch.
Belt and braces.....;)

dom
22-01-13, 04:13 PM
Ah I see. Yup, I reckon 2 fans on boost would probably burn the relays out.
They draw quite high amps when their on full chat.
I had two 30amp relays for one fan so mine were ok.
The lower speed was controlled by a thermo switch in the top hose and the boost was manual.
I also had the old style fans in front of the rad on another thermo switch.
Belt and braces.....;)

Belt, braces and a spare pair of socks when it comes to keeping that lump of iron cool in the high street! :)

Neil O
22-01-13, 04:18 PM
Only really had to use the Kenlowe.
All the fans were only used when I was in traffic in 40deg in La Rochelle a couple of years ago. :cool:

Clarkson
22-01-13, 06:42 PM
Now then children, play nicely. ;)

Mike, I think Dave may have been commenting on Myles' post.

Dave, Myles already had two fans he wanted to repair rather than buy one new one.

Happy to help.

Hahaha what a dumb ass, that will teach me to read it correctly.

I never knew they done a twin speed fan?? Tell me more! Does the 1st speed have a built in resistor with a 3 wire connector? Mine just runs full speed, but it sure cools it quickly.

KevinW
22-01-13, 07:21 PM
Hahaha what a dumb ass, that will teach me to read it correctly.

I never knew they done a twin speed fan?? Tell me more! Does the 1st speed have a built in resistor with a 3 wire connector? Mine just runs full speed, but it sure cools it quickly.

No - the fan has two separate sets of windings on the motor - one for for low speed, and one for high speed: its a genuine two speed fan, with 3 connection wires: earth, hi, lo that connect to the controller module. You can set the temp at which the lo speed windings click on, and then the hi speed windings click on 10 degrees (I think) above that.

david hemmings
22-01-13, 08:09 PM
Couldnt you just use a couple of diferent temp fan switches and use the lower rated for low and higher for high, am thinking to do this when fit twin fans so run just 1 most of the time but when this cant manage the other will cut in .

dingocooke
22-01-13, 08:22 PM
Only really had to use the Kenlowe.
All the fans were only used when I was in traffic in 40deg in La Rochelle a couple of years ago. :cool:

Obviously i havnt sussed The old girl out properly yet, whenever I drive it (neils old car) i have all the fans going after a bit of hooning...front old style fans come on first, then the kenlowe, was thinking of swapping it round so the kenlowe came on first, save those blades from shedding as they do!! Where is the manual override chap??

Clarkson
22-01-13, 08:41 PM
No - the fan has two separate sets of windings on the motor - one for for low speed, and one for high speed: its a genuine two speed fan, with 3 connection wires: earth, hi, lo that connect to the controller module. You can set the temp at which the lo speed windings click on, and then the hi speed windings click on 10 degrees (I think) above that.

Erm yes that what I just said. There is an internal resistor inside the fan just like modern day cars.

Clarkson
22-01-13, 08:44 PM
Couldnt you just use a couple of diferent temp fan switches and use the lower rated for low and higher for high, am thinking to do this when fit twin fans so run just 1 most of the time but when this cant manage the other will cut in .

Yes you could use a 3 pin temp switch for the 2 different switch on temps, but the you'll still need a resister to give the fan a slow speed on stage one. Go to the scrap yard and pinch one off an old Audi 80.

KevinW
23-01-13, 01:08 AM
Erm yes that what I just said. There is an internal resistor inside the fan just like modern day cars.

I may be wrong, but thats not my understanding, unless you mean the 2 sets of windings having different internal resistance.
But thats not the same as simply running 2 speeds, one of which has a discrete resistor in series (like my heater unit does).

Neil O
23-01-13, 09:36 AM
Obviously i havnt sussed The old girl out properly yet, whenever I drive it (neils old car) i have all the fans going after a bit of hooning...front old style fans come on first, then the kenlowe, was thinking of swapping it round so the kenlowe came on first, save those blades from shedding as they do!! Where is the manual override chap??
Dopey phucker.

I was going to swap the sensors over Steve. Never got round to it though.
You could just swap the wires on the sensors (in the s/s top rad hose) or swap the sensors over. They are the same thread.
I'm not sure there will be enough cable to swap the wires easily though.
Make sure you swap both wires on each sensor as they run off different relays.

The manual switch for the boost mode of the Kenlowe is the red pull swith on the dask that's labelled "FANS".
No shit Sherlock.....;)

Neil O
23-01-13, 09:37 AM
I may be wrong, but thats not my understanding, unless you mean the 2 sets of windings having different internal resistance.
But thats not the same as simply running 2 speeds, one of which has a discrete resistor in series (like my heater unit does).

There are two sets of windings. Hence two separate relays.

wilf
23-01-13, 10:11 AM
Good things those "booster" Kenlowes. One keeps Buttercup cool, no mean feat on a Stag.

The current electronic controller with the (dry) sensor has the relays built into it. You just need to wire one good thick supply wire through a 60Amp fuse direct from the battery (yes, you will need a 60A fuse to deal with the inrush current on the higher speed which is what you get on the manual override, don't ask how I know).

dingocooke
28-01-13, 04:46 PM
Dopey phucker.

I was going to swap the sensors over Steve. Never got round to it though.
You could just swap the wires on the sensors (in the s/s top rad hose) or swap the sensors over. They are the same thread.
I'm not sure there will be enough cable to swap the wires easily though.
Make sure you swap both wires on each sensor as they run off different relays.

The manual switch for the boost mode of the Kenlowe is the red pull swith on the dask that's labelled "FANS".
No shit Sherlock.....;)

Yea dopey mode with boost was on for sure, that night I went into the garage and there it was staring at me...'Fans' er yea that'll be it then....:-) Do'h...

Had a very brief look at the wiring, it's a close thing as you say, I will try it next time I venture into the garage and if its too tight, just make an extension loom up.

Neil O
28-01-13, 05:10 PM
Pussy.
Just drain some of the coolant and swap the two sensors over.
I already told you how to bleed the air out easily. ;)

dingocooke
29-01-13, 08:52 AM
Pussy.
Just drain some of the coolant and swap the two sensors over.
I already told you how to bleed the air out easily. ;)

Ha!...any car bleeds easy pointed nose up on my ski slope of a driveway!!

Neil O
29-01-13, 10:48 AM
Just use the device fitted.

Jeez. :)

dingocooke
29-01-13, 01:06 PM
Just use the device fitted.

Jeez. :)

tosser ;-) :-)

wilf
29-01-13, 01:34 PM
Get a room you two...........

dingocooke
29-01-13, 02:44 PM
Get a room you two...........

...we did that last time you went south for a couple of weeks; remember what happened!!! ;-) :-) :-D

Neil O
29-01-13, 02:52 PM
He stole my car Wilf. :(

dingocooke
29-01-13, 04:27 PM
He stole my car Wilf. :(

Daaaaaaaaaaad, his car made me pooh my pants....:(

wilf
30-01-13, 07:56 AM
Good grief.

If this is what Crendon ownership has sunk to these days, I am well out of it.

dingocooke
30-01-13, 09:20 AM
Good grief.

If this is what Crendon ownership has sunk to these days, I am well out of it.

...chill it's the cockpit ;-)... er whoops I thought it was, my apologies :-(

kitcarsareus
23-03-14, 08:45 PM
I know this is an old one Neil, what kenlowe did/are you using?

cheers

KevinW
24-03-14, 12:59 AM
some pics in my gallery on mounting a kenlowe if you;re interested......

Neil O
24-03-14, 10:32 AM
Kiel, I fitted the twin speed 14" Kenlowe.
Part no. 14.HP.B/S.12V

Mostly only used it on the lower speed via the top hose thermostat but found it useful to have the option to manually use the boost too.

On No.66 I will have two thermostats in the top hose, one a bit higher temp than the other. This will put both modes on automatic switching.
The original style front fans will then be on a manual switch in case of emergency.

You have my number I think, so give me a call if you want the heads up on how I did it all on No.43 mate. :D

KevinW
24-03-14, 12:02 PM
The modern Kenlowe controller

Kenlowe Adjustable Electronic Thermostat For Kenlowe Fans - Demon Tweeks (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1847&g=244250&p=181071&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Fan%20Controllers%20&%20Thermostats&gclid=CKaXzNWBq70CFdShtAod-3oAPA)

does away with the need for 2 thermostats.

You can put, what I think, is a PT100 Platinum temp sensor thats provided, in the top pipe with some silicon using the cradle/stirrup that JK provides on the top pipe - no mods needed.
The Kenlowe controller will switch on at your choice of temperature (simple screw adjustment), and then the secondary motor windings will kick in at 5 degrees higher.
I got mine included in the fan kit i bought.

Some pics below show my unit mounted in a cheap ali box i got from Maplins that I modded, and some other pics show the brackets i made up before they were sprayed.

The fan is a tight fit on the crendon rad - I had to shave the top of the ali rad cover to make it fit. Either that, or you use Neil's technique of adding a separate mounting bar across the back of the rad. Like Neil, I plan to have my pushers on a manual toggle switch.....bit like the original ;)

Neil O
24-03-14, 12:17 PM
I will just weld in a couple of bungs to the top s/s hose and use two stats Kev.
Worked really well on No.66 :D

kitcarsareus
24-03-14, 07:15 PM
Thanks gents

Kev nice brackets don't suppose you still have the templates?

I thought the only option was those mushroom strap things that poke through the rad, seem like a recipe for disaster.

Neil/Kev do the hoses come with JK's kit if , not where did you get them?

Pushers are a forgone and will be built to Tommy's spec re Snake Torque write up.

cheers

KevinW
24-03-14, 09:23 PM
- sorry chucked the cardboard templates, but its dead easy if you just copy the pics.
Punch holes in the card for the M6(?) top mounts.
Then mount the fan where you wont it holding it in with bunjy cords. Then move the mounting arms to the angle where you want them, and then use a marker pen to poke through where the plastic bracket mounting hole needs to be in the bracket.
Bit more tricky is the bracketry for the bottom, which mount off the steering rack. Again make in card first - then i used 1mm steel plate, easy to cut out with shears and strong once folded up in the vice.

The stainless hoses come from JK - recommended, but you will need to buy the rubber hoses yourself to JKs specification.

kitcarsareus
24-03-14, 09:39 PM
Okay Doke

very nice attention to detail

cheers

KevinW
24-03-14, 10:41 PM
thanks, btw, those 'pull-through' mushrooms will give up at an inconvenient moment - ask Uncle Neil!

Neil O
25-03-14, 10:55 AM
thanks, btw, those 'pull-through' mushrooms will give up at an inconvenient moment - ask Uncle Neil!

Don't ask me, I don't want to talk about it.

kdavies3
26-03-14, 11:32 AM
Touching wood, never had problem with them personally.
I think the trick is make sure you pull them up as tight as possible.

TINKA
26-03-14, 09:46 PM
My take on this is there are quite a few people who have had their radiators damaged with these plastic pull through mounting mushroom, but cant remember anyone who has mounted their fan on a proper mounting having any problems at all. Simple choice in my book.

david hemmings
26-03-14, 10:35 PM
28563 Mine twin fans on an alloy mount.

kitcarsareus
26-03-14, 10:38 PM
Yep nice setup David

cheers