PDA

View Full Version : Evening all

Domby70
05-02-13, 10:32 PM
Anyone know of any good Rover V8s / manual boxes for sale ?? (to go in my Pilgrim)

Thanks

kdavies3
06-02-13, 08:34 AM
try a PM to Jim at JRV8. :p

robinj66
06-02-13, 05:05 PM
Are you looking for a good rebuildable engine or one to drop straight in ?

Domby70
06-02-13, 08:13 PM
Are you looking for a good rebuildable engine or one to drop straight in ?

Thanks for getting back to me, re-building isn't easy on the Isle of Wight as there is a distinct lack of machine shops (none), also the small amount of homework I've done seems to draw the conclusion that a proper re-build is about the same money as buying a shiny "done one" from someone like RPI.

Are second hand "drop in" engines obtainable or is it easier finding hens teeth ?? (what's the chance of regretting it 3 months later ??)

I have a tendency of doing things "the hard way" so on this occasion I'm asking first !!

tonym
06-02-13, 08:21 PM
buying a shiny "done one" from someone like RPI.
(what's the chance of regretting it 3 months later ??)

This is purely my opinion but I wouldn't buy one from RPI but I would buy one from Jim at JRV8, HTH

Domby70
06-02-13, 08:34 PM
PS I've already got a early V8 from a P1 which I drove to my house to strip. But after homework I have discovered that the heads are not machinable to run unleaded.

Oil pressure / temperature seemed fine and it "sounded" OK, my original idea was to clean it up and drop it in, for the amount of miles I will do using unleaded additive probably wouldn't be such a problem. If I'm really honest I'm actually more interested in the sound than the power (sad isn't it).

The problem is once I started thinking about having the heads done I became lured by "lumpy cams" and shiny balanced things !!

Should I stick with plan A ???

robinj66
06-02-13, 10:23 PM
If that is all you are worried about, why not replace the heads? Des Hammill (aka SidecarPete's darling:p) reckons that post 1982 heads are good to go on unleaded, otherwise use the additive.

Cost will always depend on what you mean by "rebuild". I took my 3.5 back to bare block and replaced bearings (not cam), timing chain, cam oil pump gears, gaskets and a few other little things and just put it back together. Seems to work well enough and, like you, I like the sound and have to accept it's not particularly powerful. That probably cost me a couple of hundred £££ (and it was great experience).

I do aim to build a 4.6 (currently in pieces all over the house/garage)which will have a few power additions (but that is a slow and long term project:oops:)

My advice - stick with Plan Z :twisted:

Domby70
10-02-13, 07:09 PM
I think I'm going to clean the engine and drop it in I'm anticipating having enough aggro and expense finding and fitting a gearbox!!

If that is all you are worried about, why not replace the heads? Des Hammill (aka SidecarPete's darling:p) reckons that post 1982 heads are good to go on unleaded, otherwise use the additive.

Cost will always depend on what you mean by "rebuild". I took my 3.5 back to bare block and replaced bearings (not cam), timing chain, cam oil pump gears, gaskets and a few other little things and just put it back together. Seems to work well enough and, like you, I like the sound and have to accept it's not particularly powerful. That probably cost me a couple of hundred £££ (and it was great experience).

I do aim to build a 4.6 (currently in pieces all over the house/garage)which will have a few power additions (but that is a slow and long term project:oops:)

My advice - stick with Plan Z :twisted: