PDA

View Full Version : Small block chevy v8

Richard1977
08-02-13, 09:18 AM
Hi guys
With the arrival of my ak due soon and doner parts refurb under way I'm looking at v8s I know I'm not ready to buy it yet but a bit of looking can't hurt. I want a turnkey small block chevy v8 where is the best places to look? Also are there any saving in buying a lump and having it re built . ? I've been on uk American site where else is there ?

kdavies3
08-02-13, 09:27 AM
Mike Huddart, Real Steel, Repower Roadcraft, British American Engines, The Engine Factory (USA). EDA.
to name but a few.

Lloyd Barnes
08-02-13, 09:28 AM
Plenty of UK builders out there. Some to Google;

British American Engines
Mike Huddart
Real Steel
Roadcraft Repower
Customer Power & Paint
Engine Factory used to have a guy in Telford selling their engines, not sure whether he is still going

Dave Clarkson on here has also been known to build engines, not sure if he is still doing it.

HTH :-)

kdavies3
08-02-13, 09:33 AM
Plenty of UK builders out there. Some to Google;

British American Engines
Mike Huddart
Real Steel
Roadcraft Repower
Customer Power & Paint
Engine Factory used to have a guy in Telford selling their engines, not sure whether he is still going

Dave Clarkson on here has also been known to build engines, not sure if he is still doing it.

HTH :-)

That is or was Mark Smith. (he's on the forum just can't remember the user name.)

Richard1977
08-02-13, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys that will keep me going for a bit . I didn't realise there were so many

Lloyd Barnes
08-02-13, 09:36 AM
That's the fella, better memory than me Kev!

Also my iPads auto corrected incorrectly! It's Custom Power and Paint! :-(

kdavies3
08-02-13, 09:38 AM
Lloyd I only remember because at the time I bought my 383 from them Mark had just beaten me to being their UK rep. :(

tommy-boy
08-02-13, 04:55 PM
Also remember that the engine builder will need to confirm the date of the engine for IVA requirements and registration.

So check the IVA list to see who's on it. If you ordered through one of them that will save more paperwork later on.

Richard1977
08-02-13, 06:03 PM
Sorry for the dumb questions but IVA list? Can I buy a book or something with all the rules and regs in ?

tommy-boy
08-02-13, 06:55 PM
It's available online through the gov website. I can't link I'm afraid using my phone! Anyone on a desktop put a link?

I know BAE are authorised engine suppliers 100%

and I'm sure the others that have been mentioned are also authorised but I'm not 100%. Again I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Purple AK
08-02-13, 07:09 PM
IVA Manual here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M1%20Inspection%20Manual%20v8.02%20Oct%202012%20(W eb).pdf
Wasn't there a thread a couple of weeks ago about a dodgy engine from The Engine Factory?

MattS6
08-02-13, 07:18 PM
I can recommend BAE.

Richard1977
08-02-13, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys the IVA manual looks like a riveting read . Can't wait to get stuck into that

cobracol
08-02-13, 07:53 PM
if you want an engine, from personal experiance, engine data analasis (EDA) is engineering perfection and a top bloke, also i believe Mike Huddart has a good reputation, but not sure if he still does engines for kit cars anymore, John Sleath is another one that can be recommended, personally i would not buy an engine from the states ie BAE, and just keep well away from anything from Fastco!!

Blainey
10-02-13, 08:51 AM
Mike's still doing engines but i think he's backing away from IVA accreditation - he said it was becoming a pain in the preverbial!

I would still go to him all day long for the engine though Richard.

Cheers

James

seph
10-02-13, 09:48 AM
Richard,

the IVA accreditation was only needed because dodgy blockls were being used. As long as you go to a builder who is on the IVA list of approved builders your receipt from them will be sufficient, mine was from Mike Huddart. Give Mark Vickers a ring at VOSA, he will give the names who are on the list of approved builders.

Paul

Roger Shackleton
10-02-13, 11:05 AM
Richard

Jez at Custom Power is also IVA approved. I have the certificate for my 72 year block.

Rog

jon parrott
17-02-13, 12:11 PM
hi everyone havent been on the foram for a will building a dax de dion cobra with 350 chevvy will hopefully be on the road this summer as long as she passes the iva test ok yours xjv8 cobra