PDA

View Full Version : U joints

Easylife
11-03-13, 01:02 AM
Hi guys , got a week of and hoping to get rear end on de dion . Just a question , is it best to use new u joints or use the originals with the shortend drive shafts ? Opinions please . Will I have to replace anyway later or just make sure they're not damaged ?

Thanks Simon

seph
11-03-13, 01:30 PM
Use new ones, for the sake of £50 and hour to fit them.

Paul

JonnyT
11-03-13, 05:15 PM
No point in skimping on them - one of those jobs that it is very easy to do now but a complete pig once the car is built and on the road.

Warren
17-03-13, 12:18 AM
New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New,New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New,New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New,New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New,New, New, New, New, New.....got the message?

TonyD
17-03-13, 01:53 AM
And I thought I was tight fisted........!!:D

New, dear boy, new........

And use the heavy duty versions . Wide sticky rear tyres, enthusiastic driving and large amounts of torque can do strange things to inadequate parts...........

And don't ask me how I know.

Cheers,

Tony

cobracol
17-03-13, 05:15 PM
New ones! no contest!, i dont believe in scimping for the sake of it, they are highly likely to have been poorly maintained in the 30 year old jag they were on, buy some new heavy duty ones,

Purple AK
17-03-13, 05:34 PM
As the OP has a De Dion, I suspect they will be Lobro's not ordinary U/J's, so a lot more than £50 for the set.

cobracol
17-03-13, 05:46 PM
still same answer IMHO ;)

Easylife
17-03-13, 05:56 PM
So I'm getting the feeling ( tony d , warren ) that it's best to upgrade them lol . Have upgraded them and got most of rear end on . A frame was a pain the the posteria as the weld was covering 2 of the holes to insert ball joint . But quiet a productive week after that .